Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Infants

Infants Every little coo, every little finger and toe. Who can resist babies. What are your thoughts and concerns?

Old 06-01-2014, 07:37 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Baby Gates

Yes? No? I never did, though I do remember how I used to barricade danger areas with things in order to keep little ones out and away from, and always making sure the door to the downstairs was locked.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

we live in a bilevel, so dh made a baby gate from a sheet of plywood. the long side went along the spindle railing and the short side was the gate side, hinged of course.

now I wish I had two of those baby gates, one for each bedroom, so we could leave the doors open and keep the dog from getting up on the two twin beds which are low to the floor.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 06-02-2014, 06:06 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I would start making regular outings to garage and yard sales. I see baby gates all the time whenever I'm perusing garage and yard sales.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I never needed gates, I just closed doors to rooms when needed. I guess it depends on the style of your house.

I did have a play pen that I could pop them in with toys though and that kept them contained. I used to take that with me at times when I visited friends and it doubled as a cot to some degree. It also kept them out of trouble in others houses that were not child proofed. Up to 2-3yrs of age, after that they had better manners lol

Old 06-07-2014, 08:55 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Our basement stairs (for the longest time) were plain wood, so no cushion in the event of a fall/slip, unlike carpeted stairs, but once we had them carpeted I felt better about the kids scooting down the stairs on their rumps.

I also relied on a playpen, and though I didn't use it much, our babysitters did.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

There you go not a single step in our house but the one to get into and out of the main doors, no such things a basements over here. Our house is as flat as they come lol
So when they were little the door was propped open in summer and they came and went as they pleased .... I did check on them and the dog knows to stay out side lol

Old 06-08-2014, 07:33 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I would LOVE to own a Rancher styled home, because of the all-on-one level plan. No more stairs.

I can still hear the sound that our old aluminum storm-door made with every pull and spring-close, courtesy of little ones venturing in and out of the house all day long. There was no keeping up with the mess in those days, because someone was forever tracking-in something or another in the way of dirt, wet, or mess, but I'd welcome those days back again if I could roll the clock back, even for just a day.