Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Infants Every little coo, every little finger and toe. Who can resist babies. What are your thoughts and concerns?

Old 06-04-2002, 08:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I Need Sleep....

HELP...I NEED SLEEP....MY SON IS 2 MONTHS OLD AND STILL WONT SLEEP THRU THE NIGHT...I FEED HIM, BATHE HIM....IVE TRIED EVERYTHING I CAN THINK OF....HE JUST WONT SLEEP MORE THEN 2 OR 3 HRS........
ANY IDEAS????????

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN THE SAND, AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE
Old 06-07-2002, 06:17 AM
dutchfamily

Lightbulb

I feel for you and your lack of sleep. Put everything aside that you can, nap when your child sleeps and try not to worry too much about the dust bunnies in the corner. Your baby can feel you anxiety and tiredness. CAN YOU ASK SOMEONE TO LEND A HAND WHILE YOU CATCH A NAP OR TO HELP YOU CLEAN? We always slept with out babies (still do to a large degree). They are two and six and wouldn't go back and do it differently at all. This child of yours is so little and small, maybe he/she needs to know Mom is there. This time will pass soon, so if you can sleep whenever you can, nurse as often as you can, and cuddle and love your baby now, too soon they'll be kicking you out of bed!

I read once when you have a choice of something to do, and one of those options is sleeping, always take that option. Especially with a little one.

I believe that (my) babies don't sleep all night anyway - at least not right away. I think if they do, they are just adapting to our absence and again, that will occur naturally as baby grows and develops.

Can wear you or husband wear baby on your chest during the day and if baby falls asleep, recline in your chair on your back and shut your eyes for 40 winks? That always worked for me and mine. Sleep when they sleep.

Hope you feel relief,

Susan
Old 06-07-2002, 06:53 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Absolutely sleep when baby does! Especially if this is your first one, take advantage when you can, because when there is another this is even harder to come by.
I hate to be the one to burst your bubble as well, but 3 months is the average for babies sleeping through the night. I have two- 6 and 4- and they both will still wake me up in the middle of the night if I don't put my foot down. Baby #1 didn't sleep through until much later- into the 6th or 7th month (but we did have some transitions in there that affected that change). But baby #2 slept through at exactly 3 months (the Sat before I went back to work on Monday!) Is the baby eating at each waking? Is he/she eating enough during the day? Try to keep baby awake more during the day by stimulating them- play with them, give them different toys to enjoy, etc. Anything to keep them awake a little longer- the longer they are awake during the day, the longer they sleep at night. Also, if baby is getting enough to eat during the day, you may try not feeding him on at least one of the wakings. Try just going into his room/crib and patting him, singing to him (not picking up if you can get away with it) to let him know you are there. If you have to pick him up, but if you are nursing this almost never works. As soon as they smell mama's milk you're toast. Maybe you could get your husband to do one holding/rocking a night. If you can cut down on the feeding, then the baby is less likely to wake up if he's not getting milk. You want to be very sure that he doesn't actually NEED those feedings at night- if his weight is normal and he is growing at the appropriate rate, then he probably doesn't. You might want to check with your pediatrition about this first.
Anyway, all children are different and have different needs...just try to lay back and enjoy it as much as you can! Are you nursing? If so, have you tried it laying down? That way you can sleep while baby is nursing- you'll have to wake up later to burp him and put him in bed, but its easier than trying to stay awake in a chair! My husband always brought the baby to me after changing him- that way I didn't even have to get out of bed!
Hope this helps.

Old 06-07-2002, 07:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE...GREATLY APPRECIATE IT...THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH TRING TO SLEEP WHEN HE SLEEPS IS THE FACT THAT I HAVE A FOUR YEAR OLD AND SHE DOESNT ALWAYS HAVE NAPS DURING THE DAY...AND WHEN SHE DOES HE IS USUALLY AWAKE...AND MY HUSBAND WORKS ALL DAY.....I GUESS I WAS SPOILED....MY DAUGHTER WAS ONLY A MONTH OLD AND SHE WAS SLEEPING FOR 7 HRS AT A TIME....
BUT WHEN MY HUSBAND IS HOME ON WEEKENDS........HE GETS BABY DUTY AND I SLEEP....YAY......

THANKS AGAIN

PAULA

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN THE SAND, AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE
Old 06-07-2002, 08:06 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

So you know how it is with the 4 yr old....you could try the "video babysitter" and lay down during the normal nap time- or give yourself an extra time in the morning. Maybe you could have your daugther go to a friend's house and get a little mama time then. Also, I know your husband works all day, but so do you! Have him get the baby at night. There is no need for you to do this all by yourself.
Old 06-08-2002, 01:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I remember those days. My daughters were 4 1/2 years apart and I enrolled the older one in summer camp program and pre-school just so I COULD sleep when the little one napped!

The younger one didn't sleep through the night untill she was six years old. ( I hate to tell you this, but it's true. ) She was up at least once a night with a dream or just a need to know I was available.

I bought a bed for her room so that I could lie down with her to nurse her when she was small. I would doze and she would be at least semi-quiet, and I could semi-sleep for parts of the night.

I didn't go back to work afer I had her. I don't know how I would have coped if I had needed to return to a job with that little sleep! The house went to ruin, and my husband just never had the temperment to help out in that department.

There were nights that I would be sitting out on the front porch at 3 AM crying from lack of sleep, with the baby lying in the crib screaming ... I just couldn't get her to sleep, ever! The local police got to know me and would stop and chat, one officer reassuring me that his kid had been the same way, LOL!

Now the "little one" is almost eight years old, and FINALLY sleeps through the night. However, I still wake up at 4:30 or so and find myself just listening to the silence. (old habits die hard).

Good luck with finding your way to some rest. You have to do it or you will be no good to your baby, your daughter, your husband, OR yourself!
Old 06-09-2002, 06:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I know exactly how you feel...my son was the same way. I learned real quick...when he slept so did I. Don't worry about the housework piling up...caring for you and your baby is the best job you are doing now. It does get better!!!
Old 06-09-2002, 04:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I had the same problem with my firstborn who's now 6. In some ways I found people trying to give good advice sometimes made me feel worse - so I won't give you any advice. I hope knowing that other people have been there and that others are going through it right now makes you feel somewhat better - you're not alone. I loved my baby from the second I saw him, however I must say that I found the first year of motherhood extremely difficult. On top of everything else I had a postpartum depression. I was very worried that I would always find parenthood more taxing than enjoyable but I can say that shortly after my son's first birthday motherhood became the best thing in my life and still is to this day. Luckily my daughter who was born 4 years later was an easy baby but I can still say that my full enjoyment of motherhood comes after the first year.

Anyway I sort of got off topic... to get back to sleeping... this is not advice but things we did.

I stopped nursing because I was exhausted after 3 weeks and my husband would get up during the night with the baby.

I religiously started taking iron supplements every day - this helped to up my energy level.

I tried sleeping during the day but this didn't seem to help much.

My Mom kept the baby overnight a few times so I could get 8 hours sleep in a row - didn't work cause I felt guilty.

Finally, we decided to have our son sleep in our bed. This worked. I had always said (before I had kids) that I would NEVER do that! It took me awhile to stop feeling like I was taking the easy way out - so much guilt with motherhood! but I now feel it was/is the right thing to do. My son (now 6) still needed someone to sleep beside him until a few weeks ago. Talking about everything we did to encourage him to sleep on his own is a whole other story... a whole other thread for another day.

Anyway, I hope that if nothing else, it's encouraging to know that someone else made it through those sleepless nights.
Old 06-09-2002, 09:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sleep

I know what you mean about the no sleep. My now 6 year old never slept and I was really cranky all the time. I ended up sleeping with him either on the couch or a sofa bed that we had. He would sleep much better then. I also ended up putting a little rice cereal in his bottle at night - he ate every 2 hours and never slept and he always seemed hungry. I know this against doctor's advice but it helped. He then would sleep 4-5 hours at a night instead of 1-2. Also, my husband and I worked out a schedule. I would go to bed at 8pm and he would take all feedings up until midnight. Then he would go to bed and I would take any wafter that. At least then I was guaranteed 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep. I am sure this is much more difficult with a 4 year old. I now have a 3 1/2 month old and have been truly blessed that he is a big sleeper. He barely sleeps during the day but sleeps 8-10 hours at night. If only I would go to bed and sleep that long. Here I am chatting on the computer when the rest of my family is alseep. Now how dumb is that. Anyway, I wish you luck with your sleeping.
Old 06-10-2002, 08:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I really believe that sleep habits as a baby are only temporary! Don't worry...really every baby is uniquie, don't compare - it means nothing! (Except you are VERY tired!)

My kids weren't sleeping through the night until after 3 mo. (I nursed them in bed so I could semi-sleep!) But once they did decide to sleep for longer time spans...if they were awake, there was a problem (ear infection normally).

But after a year, then the present sleep habits imerged! Our youngest (5) can fall asleep anywhere and anytime when tired! Our middle (7) is the most independant (will go to bed on her own).

Enjoy this stage...it lasts for such a short time!