Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Infants

Infants Every little coo, every little finger and toe. Who can resist babies. What are your thoughts and concerns?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

My kids are 12 & 14 but I do remember sleepless days and nights! Are you bottle or breast-feeding? As for breast-feeding, with my son, it was hard to so since he was my first and I did not know what I was doing. A lacation consultant was a God send! If you are breast-feeding, your baby could be sensitive to certain foods you are eating.

With my daughter, a baby sling was the solution. This was like a sling for your arm and I would place her in there and she loved being scrunched up. I guess it was like being back in the womb. I would walk around doing whatever I needed to do and as soon as she was asleep, I would slip the sling off and sleep too!
Old 08-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I never had this problem, but I think it's because I had my DD sleep with me from the day she came home from the hospital.
No, you won't roll over on the baby........Mine slept, and when she woke to feed........I breastfed her and we both went back to sleep. After we started to put her into a crib.....she'd sleep all night.....no problem.

Bett

Old 08-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My DD breast fed her first one and slept with her a lot. She regrets is as she had trouble getting her to sleep by herself. However, the child did sleep, thus allowing my DD to sleep. The only major problem she had was that DGD had severe colic. With this baby, she bottle and breast fed at first. Now she just bottle feeds.

My DD does have the sling, but she has a bad back so she cannot use it very often. The part that is so frustrating for her is that no matter how much she rocks him, feeds him, or holds him--everything only satisfies him beiefly--if at all. It is difficult for me to ive her advice as both my babies were very easy--until the terrible 2s. lol He doesn't seem to be in pain, but he doesn't seem comfortable either.

My DD has said that she has tried to let him cry, but after a while she said that she is ready to pull her hair out. She said it would be easier if she knew what the problem was.

I have given her everyone's ideas. She will mention the skin to the doctor tomorrow. Hopefully she'll get this under control soon.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 08-21-2005, 09:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Both my sons were constant, screaming criers as babies -- turns out one had eczema (we ended up at a good dermotologist finally after seeing the pediatrician) and the other one was just plain old colic (well, that was everyone's best guess, anyway!) My heart goes out to her because I know how hard it can be!!

I have to second Cristine's recommendation of Marc Weissbluth's book, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. A friend suggested it to me, and it was SO very helpful. Any public library should have it, and if not, they could get it for you. Another book that was really good was one called The Happiest Baby on the Block, I think the author's name is Dr. Karp. See if you can get your hands on these.

I know that the thought of being able to actually sit down and read a book probably seems overwhelming when you are stressed and sleep-deprived, but it also is great when you can actually find out some good, solid answers to help with what you are going through! And also to find out that you are not alone.

GOOD LUCK! I will keep you in my prayers...

~Leslie
Old 08-22-2005, 12:06 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thank you so much Leslie. I will pass along the names and authors to my DD. I am still waiting for her to call me with the results frome the pediatrician. At first I thought the baby was just spoiled and had grown used to being held. (Easy to do with grandparents around. ) Then, even when we are holding him and rocking him, he still seems uncomfortable. My DD is so upset becasue she had such a difficult pregnancy and was hoping that everything would be fine now that the baby is born. It was the opposite with the first child. She went through a good pregnancy with no problems. Then afer the baby was born, she had severe, and I do mean sever, colic! I guess you never know from pregnancy to pregancy how the pregancy will go or how the baby will do once he or she is born.

Old 08-22-2005, 07:52 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I just got off the phone with my DD and boy and I angry! First, when the baby came home from the hospital he was sneezing every few minutes! I told my DD that she needed to tell his doctor. She asked me if she should call her. I told her no that he could wait until his 2 week checkup. So, at his 2 week checkup she told the doctor. The dr told her that it was too soon to tell if he had allergies!!! OK fine. Then, today before my DD had a chance to say the word eczema, but did tell her about the sleeping and fussiness, the doctor mentions the skin and how it looks like eczema, but that it is too soon to tell and that his problems are probably just really bad allergies!!! Didn't we tell her this 6 weeks ago?!?! This dr sounds like she has never had children and is only going by textbook! Anyway, I just had to vent because only God knows when this lady will listen. My DD and her DH are watching a movie, but when she isn't busy I'm oing to ask her to get a second opinion and check out the allergy and eczema thing or even if it might be something else.

Old 08-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Head Moderator
FamilyCorner Addict

Yes. DeBora a second opinion sounds needed and very soon for alls sake! Hope your DD can get into see a different doctor soon. I can thoroughly understand being upset with that doctor! Please tell your DD to hang in there and one day soon she will have the answer to what is going on with the poor baby! My thoughts are with you all! Take care!

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life
Old 08-23-2005, 05:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

childhood memories

You guys are bringing back memories. Of course, I don't remember being a baby, but I had eczema & food allergies. I remember drinking benadryll right from the bottle. And they told me I was "allergic" to hot water, so I was bathed with the Cetaphil lotion. I have almost half a bottle of the Cetaphil I could mail to her if she wants to try & see if that helps.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I must recommend a book and it also comes, Thank GOD, in a DVD now! It's by Dr Harvey Karp and it's called The Happiest Baby On The Block. This pediatrician is a magician, can pick up any crying baby and in 1-2-3, calm the baby down. If I hadn't seen it in action, I wouldn't have believed it myself. I got a copy of it on eBay, but now it is my standard "new baby gift" for everyone I know who has a baby!

One of my students had a baby last month and he is just a sweetheart, but never sleeps more than an hour, just wakes up and wants to nurse. She was afraid it was a problem with her milk or perhaps he just needed more sucking. Well, she tried the first step from Dr Karp's DVD and BINGO... he settled right down and slept for 3 hours for the first time. It is a simple 5-step program. Do the first, if it doesn't work, go on to the second, etc. Bam-bam-bam-bam-bam <SNOOOOOOOOZE> I was floored. I'm 50 years old and my babies are 23 and 18, but I remember this so vividly... and when I get grandbabies, this is going to be the first "magic" trick I teach. It's low-tech and it works.

Rani
Old 08-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Thank everyone for your input! I have given my DD everyone's advice. She said that the DR told her he has bad allergies but there wasn't a thing that could be done abou it. (Yeah right!) She also gave him some creme for his skin. She said that when he is old enough she will fins out if he has excema.