Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Infants

Infants Every little coo, every little finger and toe. Who can resist babies. What are your thoughts and concerns?

Old 09-21-2004, 11:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Anyone else co-sleeping with infant?

I have gotten alot of ridicule from certain family members for our co-sleeping with newborn. Anyone else out there co-sleeping. I have other friends and family that agree with us too.

TX Chef Fran
Old 09-21-2004, 11:53 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Txchef_fran, although I am not currently co-sleeping with an infant. I have co-slept with three out of four of my children. I really don't see anything wrong with it. The only problem was I let it go too long, and had a hard time getting them into their own beds when they were a little older.

Although I did have each of them out of our bed before the age of four!

I don't disagree with it at all especially if you breastfeed!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 09-24-2004, 07:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

couldn't do it.

I tried breastfeeding but my nipples inverted and baby was really hungry. Since I felt horrible about not being able to fulfill this one duty I started co-sleeping to have the bond since I lost out on the breastfeeding bond. I breast fed for a week in hospital and even had to stay an additional day because of breastfeeding complications. I love having her close by at night and love watching her sleep as I fall asleep. I think I sleep better knowing I can just oepn my eyes and check on her. In the mornings I wake up before her and will watch her sleep until she wakes then we sing songs as we get ready for the day. She is such a happy baby.

The only thing I see it creating is the problem of napping at sitter. I don't know why she won't nap by herself?

TX Chef Fran
Old 09-24-2004, 09:04 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My DD was the same way I had to lay down with her to take a nap! It actually got irritating after awhile!

So sorry to hear you can not breastfeed, that is too bad! At least you tried!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 09-30-2004, 03:53 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Txchef_fran I breastfed my second child and he did sleep with me and DH. It was just easier for me anyhow.. But he is 2 1/2 old now and he still sleeps with us. I don't think there is nothing wrong with letting your little one sleeping with you

LOL
Old 09-30-2004, 04:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We had both of our kids sleep with us for the first months. Then they went to thier cribs. When DS came home he weighed 4lb. 6oz. He wouldn't sleep in the crib. And he looked so tiny in the huge thing. DH read up on kids sleeping with parents and all the benifits the get from it. When DD was born she slept with us and DS would come in and crawl in bed with us too. She is seven now and once in a while she will come in and sleep at the foot of the bed. DS can't do it any more he is taller then both DH and me . There is just no room for him.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I think it's lovely that you are enjoying the bonding with your infant. Many parents choose this family bed option. I did this with my second daughter, as I was too sick to respond to her in the middle of the night. Having her next to me made it possible for me to care for her for the first year of our life together.

You may find it restricting your freedom as your child gets older... as she will most likely not be able to fall asleep without you. They also sleep like "land sharks" constantly moving... not letting you get a lot of rest.

For me it continued through the pre-school years, and took drastic behavioral reconditioning to change it. A family bed quickly becomes a commitment, and can become a hinderence to a healthy and sexual marrital bed.

Also you can't be oblivious to the increased risks of entanglement and suffocation from conventional adult bedding, which is typically much softer than crib bedding.And new borns shouldn't be surrounded by loose bedding, and never left alone on a bed, no matter how big it is.. Ther is also the rare but real risk of an adult in deep sleep accidently suffocating an infant by crushing. (This risk is greatest in the early part of the first year.)

I was a Paramedic for many years, and saw more than one of this type of tragedy.. so I appproached my choice knowing the true weight of the decision I was making.

But for me it was the right choice.. Althoug at the age of nine..she still has trouble falling asleep alone...

Just my thoughts here....IMHO

Val
Old 09-30-2004, 05:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

As long as there are no problems with "overactive" sleepers (tossing and turning) a baby in bed isn't a problem.

There was a whole movement about it back in the 60's and 70's - even a popular book called "The Family Bed!"

Some psychologists don't like it for various reasons, but as long as the baby / child is out of the parent's bed sometime before school starts ...

Of course, they need to be in another room if you are going to be intimate. In our society, it isn't "accepted" for children to be exposed to adult sexuality. In some other societies there is not much modesty about it and the family members seem well-adjusted.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 09-30-2004, 06:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have no problem with the infant being in the bedroom of the parents. But, not in their bed, even for the convenience of breastfeeding or whatever.

As it has been mentioned, the possibility of injuring the infant, while sleeping, does happen. While being in a bassinet or cradle, yes, injuries can occur, but are less likely.

I had all of my infants in bassinets, right next to me, for about the first 1 to 3 months. My second child simply outgrew the bassinet at 1 month. My second and last child, after the bassinet, was put in a 3/4 crib, which was kept in our bedroom, until they were about 6 months old. Yes, 3/4 cribs are hard to find, these days, but it was a real time saver for me. However, none of my infants, toddlers or young children slept, in our bed.

Oh, yes, there were times when they would climb into bed with us, but, those where times of thunderstorms and scary events, bad dreams and so forth, that all children will have. When the event was over, they were put back into their own beds.

I will say, I did not have to face the issue of, having my children learning how to sleep in their own beds. They were doing that right from the beginning.

This is my experience and my opinion. I will say, that my youngest child did not do as I did, she allowed her first child to sleep with them and had to learn, the hard way, the consequences of that decision. She did NOT repeat that decision, with her second child.

"The Truth is out there...
Can anyone give me the URL???!!!"

Last edited by MmeMoxie; 09-30-2004 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

hi i co slept with my 3 for the first year of their life. i also breast fed..if you want to you can express milk and give it to them in a bottle..they get the same nutirients...and it would be easier on you. just a thought.

ericka

http://ehale.avonrepresentative.com/