Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Parenting > Ages & Stages > Infants

Infants Every little coo, every little finger and toe. Who can resist babies. What are your thoughts and concerns?

Old 07-12-2004, 04:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

new mothers

Need help to find the right gift for my first grandchild (a girl expected). Would like to know what you have found to be most helpful, even a larger gift. They have everything they need but would like the more unusual but practical maybe? Any ideas? I am out of touch with the modern world of babies. The parents are older, 30s. Thanks
Old 07-13-2004, 05:12 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My youngest is four years old. But, I know I found that diapers, wet wipes, baby shampoo, soap, were very appreciated.

My mom, would buy the newest baby lotions, diaper rash creams creams she could find. She even bought a baby toothbrush, for her before she was born!

A special blanket is always a great thing. My oldest dd (will be 16 in August), still enjoys the blanket that my mom and I made together for her!

And youngest DD loves the special blanket that my mom bought for her. Not just a receiving blanket, youngest dd's blanket was a quillow, she still loves it!

That is all I can think of right now. Hope this helps a little.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks, Mom2-4. I can see you appreciate the little blessings in life. We had so little with our babies, almost nothing was new so I am overwhelmed at what's out there. The little girl was born last night so I really need to get on this. Any more ideas? What is your dream gift?
Old 07-13-2004, 06:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have to agree with Karen, a special blanket is a good idea...... but even more so if you can make it yourself. (when I finally get a grandchild, thet blanket will have to be store bought or purchased at a craft fair! )

If you are looking at buy a different type of gift, around here those Diaper Genies are popular. Of course, there wasn't anything like that when I had my youngest (10 yrs ago). Besides, I used cloth diapers with him and the Genie is for disposable diapers.

Or, how about a traveling playpen. That way when the new parents want to go to a friend's home, the baby will have a place if she needs to nap. It's also good to know the baby will have a place to sleep if you travel to family or friend's homes overnight. They are very easy to put up and come with their own 'travel bag" to carry them in.

Last edited by Abear; 07-13-2004 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:45 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I like the idea of a traveling playpen, that is a very good idea.

Another idea, although the baby will not be able to use it right away, what about some type of wooden rocking horse?

Or maybe a cradle? I always wanted a cradle for my babies. But, just went with a bassinet.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

At my baby shower, I really appreciated what DH's aunt gave me. It was a laundry basket filled with diapers, wipes, q-tips for babies, lotion, soap, shampoo, baby powder, diaper rash cream, hangers, grooming kit....etc.

Mostly things I will need.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

travelign system

My best gift was a traveling system I got from my Dad. It has the infant car seat that clicks off the stroller and right onto the base which becomes the car seat. This is wonderful as I can walk the mall or grocery shop without having to wake the baby.

The other best gift was diapers!!! I thought my goodness there is so many diapers I will never use them all! My baby is 3
months old and we have been buying diapers for over a month now! Already gone.

TX Chef Fran
Old 02-23-2015, 07:10 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Times were different when my kids were at the baby stage, but I was always overjoyed when I was gifted with a new package of diaper pins, a pack or two of rubber pants, a couple of vinyl bibs, or replacement baby bottle nipples!