Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 12-27-2002, 06:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

What was your best after Christmas deal?

My sister goes shopping every year on the 26th. Her husband has 30 employees and they get a gift for everyone, so she stocks up after Christmas for most of them. Her first stop was going to be Lord & Taylor (too pricey for me).

I'm personally waiting for 90% off day at Target (usually 7 days after the holiday) so I can stock up on wrapping paper for our girl scout troop's community service project next year.

What amazing deals did you find?
dawny
Old 12-29-2002, 08:39 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

One of the best things I've found has been while cruising the second-hand shops! I swear, sometimes people just donate to charity the gifts they didn't like! Today I came across a BRAND-NEW Leap Pad book & cartridge of the Disney Princess Stories! These things retail for upwards of $17.00, but at my good ol' Goodwill, it was just $6.99!! Mind you, we don't have a Leap Pad, and even if we did, the item is WAY too young for my daughter, but I snatched it up and put it right online! I also found three BRAND-NEW Pooh & Tigger stocking kits that had originally retailed for over $20.00 each at Michael's. They were marked at $7.99, but the store had all Christmas stuff at 75% off, so I got them for just $2.00 each!!!! They also had oodles of gift wrap, bags of bows, spools of ribbon, decorations (some used, some new - LOTS of vintage stuff that I remember from when I was a kid)...I'm telling you, the post-holiday sales at major department stores are fine for everyone else, but I do my best shopping at the local thrift stores!! Hope everyone else considers hitting their local shops for SUPER bargains!!!

- Henry Rowland
Old 12-30-2002, 07:11 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

DD and I went to the mall and in Clair's found a redtag sale going on. You got 10 redtag items for $5.00. As DD's birthday is in Feb. we got hair stuff and makeup for the goodie bags . The bags will be worth almost $20 and we did them for $2. As all the insurence bills are due in Jan/Feb i'm jumping for joy at such a deal.
Laura
Old 12-30-2002, 08:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi, I guess I was surprised to find that a few stores had marked their merchandise down to 75% off the day after Christmas, seems I've had to wait to get that kind of discount in years past, maybe its their way of brooming it out faster. But anyways, we've had our eye on a artificial Christmas tree listed at 129.99 just last week so when we saw they still had one left at 75% off we snatched it up. Their is still so much stock on shelves, have never been fortunate enough to find a 90% off sale, is there ever anything worth buying left at 90% off??
Have fun!
Old 12-30-2002, 06:05 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I was sooooooo lucky today! I was standing at the Christmas stuff in Walmart today at 2:30 when they announced that everything was 90% off!! Woohooooooo. I stocked up on mostly craft items for next year's gifts but would you believe they STILL have not marked down Christmas fabric!!! Don't they know we need a head start on stuff for next year already? Hehehe I did happen to get some cards and some Christmas paper for my own cards next year... 25 cents a pack!! Matching envelopes were at 25 cents for 35 envelopes! Gold foil insides! Also some bows... 30 cents for a huge bag of foil bows. Some grapevine wreaths and other crafty things... great haul considering I went there to pick up a couple of items hehehe

Care, support and understanding for those with autoimmune diseases and their caregivers:
http://ACES_Autoimmune.tripod.com
Old 12-31-2002, 07:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Online free download, offline deal on amaryllis

Online, I just downloaded the new Bargain Hunters guide at www.greatstreet.com . I haven't really looked through it yet, but I found the 2002 version helpful.

I LOVE amaryllis bulbs. Usually I buy the $5 growing kits with plastic pots from our local grocery store. At the Museum Company after Christmas, the $25 kit, which has a heavy clay pot was 50% off, well worth it.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Christmas bargins!!

I am so happy everyone has been finding "bargins" after Christmas stuff!!!! way to go girls!!!!!:p
I got some stuff at Michaels!!! some of that new "tin type"stuff at half off!!! and when I went to walmart all they had were lights and wrap!!! yu did good christy8!!!!!
And WOW bwsmom!!! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!I wish I had that kind of goodwill by ME!!!!!!!!!!!! I do often visit the thrift shops in my area!!!! never know what you can find!!!!!!! that would be great if I found the Leap pad thing!!!!!! I would have gotten it and I have a boy!!!!
well everyone take care see ya soon!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2003, 01:25 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Shawn, I am jealous, m;y my bras were only buy one get one half price....better than full price though I went to Kmart for a bday gift for a party for dd3 and a bra...they were buy one get one half price. I also needed undies, they were also buy one get one half price. bwsmom Ill take the leap pad. I also got two pairs of jammies for dd2 set of 2 regularly 17.99, I got them for 12.99, a pair of jeans for ds regularly 18.00, on clearance for 12.00. I made out OK, considering I was not looking for deals. Yes, I could have possibly gotten these items for less at goodwill, but then I buy to much junk for the kids, they do not need anymore junk!!!!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 01-06-2003, 06:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I haven't done a whole lot of post-holiday shopping. I'm still waiting for the good sale prices! But I did hit up the Meier & Frank 15 hr sale last Friday, the preview day. I got a Barbie ornament for .53, it was one I didn't have the Millenium Barbie and I also got 1 dated for this year at 70% off, the Blushing Bride for $7.18. I didn't buy it at Hallmark cause it was too dear! Also I got 4 Teddy Bears for $3.59 each, original price was $17.00 each! They have Flag sweaters on. We have grandchildren who are military kids so this is perfect. I'm still searching!!!!

Old 01-06-2003, 12:12 PM

Lightbulb Lowes is the place!!!

Hi Everyone-

I was on vacation the last 2 weeks and we have a new Lowes across the street from my house. They had everything marked 75% off the day after Christmas and I was able to buy alot of nice ornaments for gift bags next year. I went back a couple days later and got nice lighted victorian village houses for $2.00 to $5.00, the $5.00 one was originally $45.00 it's a church with a wedding in progress includes the bride, groom, orchestra and people. The additional people and trees, etc. were ten cents each These will make a nice gift for my m.i.l. next year, I estimate the value at about $150.00 for all the pieces and I paid about $10.00. No one thinks about Lowes because they are a "hardware" store but ladies, next year check them out. I also went to Volunteers of America the 26th of Dec. and they had everything in the whole store marked 50% off, not just Christmas but everything. I bought a nice Christmas button up sweater, new would have cost at least $70.00 at Kohls for $3.00 and Christmas sweatshirts for .50 cents to 1.00 each. I was in CVS pharmacy last night and they also had marked most stuff to 75% off, thanks to Amanda's earlier suggestion early in Dec. I found a santa and a snowman cookie jar, originally 9.99 on sale for 2.49, so next year will fill with cookies or candy and give as gifts Got to love those deals.

Anna