Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 11-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My kids are grown and still love opening gifts so we shop at the dollar stores. We can buy cheap things from dishes,plastic ware, to socks gloves, tools, kitchen tools soaps.food, etc. There are a lot of these stores so the variety is good. These things are wrapped in news paper and put in a big Xmas gift bag for each these bags are kept from one year to the next, no money wasted on wrapping paper to throw out.The gifts are always useable and save them money too. That way we can afford to put some money in the card for them too.
Toilet paper tubes make great boxes for smaller gifts too.
I sometimes buy a gag gift too these can be got at value village for a song. I bought my son a stuffed toy skunk the year he was sprayed by one said it was from Flower he he.This can cause a lot of laughter and fun for very little.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Assistant Moderator

Reading with great interest ....

Old 11-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I burn a lot of candles during the holidays, because they look festive and smell like parties! I love the 3 wick from Party Lite, so when the candle is burned as far as it will go, I heat up the leftovers, in a small an, pour it into another container around a new wick, and make MORE candles.

Last edited by cyncerp; 11-07-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I love candles as well. I need to learn to recycle what is left but afraid that I will burn it when melting it. My partlite candles there is nothing left. That is what I like about them.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I use the electric candle warmer to melt the last of a votive candle and then reuse the candle holder with a new votive or tea light. I do prefer tea lights because they don't make a mess in the candle holders.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:48 AM
Nine Year Member

My sister's and I have decided to have a White Elephant Christmas this year. A couple of years ago we did a Make it Yourself Christmas.

Roberta
Old 11-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Assistant Moderator

Just because you don't drink wine does not mean you can't drink out of wine glasses for a treat. Can't distinguish which glass is which? Find some old Christmas earrings (dangly ones) or any earring for that matter and thread onto thin ribbon to tie around the stem of the glass, or make some wire rings to slip through and on.
That way you can remember which charm was on your glass.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I ran all our Christmas wrapping paper through the shredder last year, saved it & plan to use it as filler in gift bags. That way it didn't get thrown away but will be used again(recycled).

I like the fabric gift bag idea & I will look for material when it is discounted/marked down.

Gloria

We all need to help save our planet before it's too late

Old 11-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I saw some fabric gift bags in the dollar bin at Target today. They were about the size of two lunch bags. I'll just be recycling the thick paper bags from last year so didn't buy any.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I try to make it a season of celebration.
We attend quite a few local programs and cantadas.... caroling and hot cocoa....stringing popcorn and cranberries...make apple and cinnamon ornaments as well as coke can santas (recycling)...
we remain very active in the Salvation Army and this year my 15 year old is ringing kettles. I usually drive vans and translate for the Christmas Assistance program.

We only ever gave our kiddos 3 gifts..
It was good enough for Jesus.
Speaking of Jesus, we write Him a letter of what we plan to give HIM for HIS birthday and make Him a cake...

Christmas Day at the Salvation Army has become a special tradition too. I try to get everyone caroling. It is FABULOUS! Just as if it were right out of Christmas movie...

I also make alot of gifts and cookies to give away.
Candy cane bathsalts go over well...

Hugs

Admit your mistakes so that NO ONE else can exaggerate them
You can NOT amputate your HISTORY from your DESTINY~ Beth Moore