Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 11-03-2007, 05:30 AM
Nine Year Member

I give my neice makeup and nephews gift cards to video stores and gas stations.

Roberta
Old 11-05-2007, 01:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Frugal Plum Pudding recipe - easy, easy, easy and tastes GREAT!

Ok, here is one of my favorite recipes that I have tweaked and it works great! It is very inexpensive to make and tastes like the real thing. The best thing is that it can be made a day before you need it and you won't have complaints of "it is too bad no one makes plum pudding anymore....."
Try it and let me know what you think!
Happy Christmas everyone. Celebrate Jesus!

Easy "Plum Pudding"

1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup mixed peel

Mix well, add:

11/4 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda

spoon into greased coffee can
cover with brown paper, and tie paper
on with a string.
Place in a medium saucepan about
1/2 full of water and steam for about 21/2 hours.
(Watch water levels and add more water if
necessary)
The really nice thing about this recipe is that
it can be made the day of or day before needing it. (Note: Pudding can be heated up by placing in the microwave on a plate alongside a cup of water until pudding is heated through.)

Warm Sauce:

2 tablespoons margarine
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a small saucepan over medium heat combine margarine, sugar and the egg. Pour in milk and cook until mixture begins to bubble; be careful not to scald. Stir in flour and vanilla; mix well and serve.

Alternate Sauce Recipe:

1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon cream or evaporated milk
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

In a small saucepan, combine over low heat sauce ingredients. When sauce reaches pouring consistency, pour over warm pudding.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:11 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Goria, your Easy Plum Pudding sounds wonderful. What is the "mixed peel" that it calls for?

I need to set a budget and stick to it to make my X-mas more frugal. I always end up spending way too much on my girls. I have already started my lists but I need to get them finished and start shopping ASAP. I can't believe it's November already...ugh! Where did the time go?

Have a great day!

Mindy

Unnecessary possessions are unnecessary burdens...Chinese Fortune Cookie
Old 11-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

answer to your question

hi - it is mixed glace fruit.
You purchase in the baking section - it is usually in a tub container - not very expensive...maybe around $2
Old 10-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

What a great thread! I totally agree that the key to saving money during the holidays is to plan ahead.

I like to start shopping early, with a goal of having it done by Thanksgiving. That way I can focus on fun things like decorating, baking and making gifts.

I take advantage of all the offers department stores offer (15-30% off your total bill) if you use their store credit card for your purchases. However, the trick is to pay the bill off as soon as it hits your account to avoid finance charges.

I also plan my menu and Christmas tablescape early, so I can shop for sales.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Nine Year Member

For my kids I pick up things that I find during the year on clearance or for free (MyPoints, Pepsi Points, Points & Prizes, etc.) that I know they will like then wait until they make up their Christmas list to buy a couple of things and pass the list on to family and of course Santa.

Roberta
Old 10-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Our extended family is doing something new this year: in our name exchange, our price LIMIT it $15-20 and second-hand items are okay!! Also, in our immediate family, we are doing something new for us: only 3 gifts each.
The gifts will be more thought out and I believe it will end up costing us far less than the multitude of "little cheap" presents to get each person 3 gifts that are slightly better and more suited to the person.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBowen
Our extended family is doing something new this year: in our name exchange, our price LIMIT it $15-20 and second-hand items are okay!! Also, in our immediate family, we are doing something new for us: only 3 gifts each.
The gifts will be more thought out and I believe it will end up costing us far less than the multitude of "little cheap" presents to get each person 3 gifts that are slightly better and more suited to the person.
I like the idea of a gift exchange. My husband's family is quite large. We usually buy gift certificates for the older kids and toys for the younger ones. The gift certificates can get quite expensive, so several years ago, I tried to get them to to agree to a gift exchange. Let's just say that this did not go over well with my SILs.

This year, I'm just buying for my younger nieces and nephews and will be giving a homemade gift to each family. I also have a budget for each of my own children and will not go over it. It just doesn't make sense to be paying off holiday gifts months after the holidays are over.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:24 AM

Good morning all!!

Since I have a job this year that literally pays half of what my job did last year, I am really stretching the gift giving pennies.

I make gift bags for the teens/young adults on my list, except for my nephew who is more like my child. Every week, I check the Rite-Aid and CVS ads for appropriate items to add (shampoos, styling aids, deodorant, candy, etc.). I make one trip to walmart for candy kisses (the big ones), as a larger item that takes up room. And I try to add one that makes that bag personal (a small lego item[still in the package], a wooden cooking spoon for the budding cook, etc.).

This year even my spending on my nephew will be limited. I am shopping at www.usedworkclothes.com for some khakis for his job. I will check out www.bargainoutfitters.com for shirts, sweats, boxers, etc. that he might like or need. And he will get a gift bag too. Other than that, he won't be getting too much.

No bf this year, so that is quite a savings. However, he is still a friend, so I bit the bullet and went online and ordered his favorite fruit cake. But that is it.

I buy turkey thighs all year long, and particularly love them for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I also make stuffing (a large pan), and then freeze for lunches over the next couple of months. Asparagus is always on my list for both holidays. And there is usually cole slaw and/or potatoe salad. Even if I am invited to friend's and relatives, which I often am, I still cook my own meal. I also insist on taking a casserole of something (often a lovely onion casserole), that the host wouldn't have time for. My aunt loves creamed onions, and this casserole takes its place, and is one less thing for her to do.

Well that is my take on Christmas.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 11-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I went out after Christmas a few years ago and bought 75% off christmas fabric and sewed alot of various size bags to "wrap" gifts in. I tie them w/ribbons or string and use old cards cut up for tags. I have used them over and over each year. I always have things that do not fit so there is still paper wrapped gifts to destroy the environment with. LOL