Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 07-22-2007, 07:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
School Supply sales/No Tax weekend--create gift boxes!

This year, I am going school supply shopping with a whole new outlook on things. Not only am I going to fill my son's school supply list, but I am going to buy supplies to make "writing boxes or bags" for my kids, nephews and my son's teacher.

NC's no sales tax weekend is coming up, Aug 3-5, I believe.

This is the perfect time to buy notebooks and folders for 10 cents or less for each one. You can get pencils, erasers, sharpeners, pens, markers and scissors cheap, too!

I will throw in some fancy markers, scented markers, paints, stickers ...etc.--things that I wouldn't normally spend the money on, to make a nice surprise.

In my nephews' bags, I am going to include a few pre-addressed and stamped envelopes. I am going to include a letter asking them to write to us.

Teachers are always looking for school supplies. You can find nice stamp sets at the Dollar Tree sometimes. My main thought on this one is to take a lg. cardboard hatbox and decoupage it, then add the supplies to it. Pencils, erasers, pens, glue, glue sticks, crayons....the list goes on and on. I will buy a little something--like a gift card for a coffee shop--to personalize it, once I get to know her/him better this coming year.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-22-2007, 07:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Tami - great idea! My kids and my nieces and nephews are all teens now, but I used to put together arts and crafts gifts for them when they were younger. I never thought of putting together a letter writing box. This would be great for my nieces and nephews to keep in touch with their cousins. I think I might use this idea. I think I'll throw in a disposable camera, too, and ask them to send us pictures from time to time!

Kathy
Old 07-22-2007, 08:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymac
Tami - great idea! My kids and my nieces and nephews are all teens now, but I used to put together arts and crafts gifts for them when they were younger. I never thought of putting together a letter writing box. This would be great for my nieces and nephews to keep in touch with their cousins. I think I might use this idea. I think I'll throw in a disposable camera, too, and ask them to send us pictures from time to time!

Kathy
I love the camera idea! I will keep an eye out for sales on those, too. It is always so neat to look at pictures taken by a child.

Are your teens only into gift cards now? I know that all my neice wanted in her teens was gift cards--especially to Old Navy.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-22-2007, 08:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My daughters are very much into gift cards - Barnes & Noble, Starbucks, Best Buy and Victoria's Secret (their "Pink" collection). There are positives and negatives to this - it makes shopping easier, but I can't get things "on sale".

Kathy
Old 07-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Nine Year Member

What if you clip coupons to go with the gift cards? Some coupons are good for a few weeks and could be put in the birthday card envelope.

Some of our best gifts to teens were kits we made up of sewing things for a small throw/quilt/jeans bag with trims and also of school/art supplies. If you do sewing make sure to include a pair of scissors.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 07-22-2007, 02:23 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Some very cute ideas.I love all of them.We have that same sale but i am ususlly don't buy my gilrs any clothes becuase it seems they don't last very long and i am out buying another pair of jeans before i know it.Right now we have some stuff on sale.I have some of it left over from last year so that is a big help too.

Mish
Plus i make sure to keep lots of extra folders and loose leaf paper.I seem to need that stuff as the year goes by.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:54 PM
Head Moderator

bump