FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Inexpensive Gift Ideas (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/inexpensive-gift-ideas/)
-   -   School Supply sales/No Tax weekend--create gift boxes! (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/inexpensive-gift-ideas/21078-school-supply-sales-no-tax-weekend-create-gift-boxes.html)

ajrsmom 07-22-2007 07:29 AM

School Supply sales/No Tax weekend--create gift boxes!

This year, I am going school supply shopping with a whole new outlook on things. Not only am I going to fill my son's school supply list, but I am going to buy supplies to make "writing boxes or bags" for my kids, nephews and my son's teacher.

NC's no sales tax weekend is coming up, Aug 3-5, I believe.

This is the perfect time to buy notebooks and folders for 10 cents or less for each one. You can get pencils, erasers, sharpeners, pens, markers and scissors cheap, too!

I will throw in some fancy markers, scented markers, paints, stickers ...etc.--things that I wouldn't normally spend the money on, to make a nice surprise.

In my nephews' bags, I am going to include a few pre-addressed and stamped envelopes. I am going to include a letter asking them to write to us. :)

Teachers are always looking for school supplies. You can find nice stamp sets at the Dollar Tree sometimes. My main thought on this one is to take a lg. cardboard hatbox and decoupage it, then add the supplies to it. Pencils, erasers, pens, glue, glue sticks, crayons....the list goes on and on. I will buy a little something--like a gift card for a coffee shop--to personalize it, once I get to know her/him better this coming year.

:cmas1: :twinkle:

kathymac 07-22-2007 07:44 AM

Tami - great idea! My kids and my nieces and nephews are all teens now, but I used to put together arts and crafts gifts for them when they were younger. I never thought of putting together a letter writing box. This would be great for my nieces and nephews to keep in touch with their cousins. I think I might use this idea. I think I'll throw in a disposable camera, too, and ask them to send us pictures from time to time!

Kathy

ajrsmom 07-22-2007 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathymac
Tami - great idea! My kids and my nieces and nephews are all teens now, but I used to put together arts and crafts gifts for them when they were younger. I never thought of putting together a letter writing box. This would be great for my nieces and nephews to keep in touch with their cousins. I think I might use this idea. I think I'll throw in a disposable camera, too, and ask them to send us pictures from time to time!

Kathy

I love the camera idea! I will keep an eye out for sales on those, too. It is always so neat to look at pictures taken by a child. ;)

Are your teens only into gift cards now? I know that all my neice wanted in her teens was gift cards--especially to Old Navy. :loco:

kathymac 07-22-2007 08:06 AM

My daughters are very much into gift cards - Barnes & Noble, Starbucks, Best Buy and Victoria's Secret (their "Pink" collection). There are positives and negatives to this - it makes shopping easier, but I can't get things "on sale".

Kathy

ellenmelon 07-22-2007 02:18 PM

What if you clip coupons to go with the gift cards? Some coupons are good for a few weeks and could be put in the birthday card envelope.

Some of our best gifts to teens were kits we made up of sewing things for a small throw/quilt/jeans bag with trims and also of school/art supplies. If you do sewing make sure to include a pair of scissors.

Mish 07-22-2007 02:23 PM

Some very cute ideas.I love all of them.We have that same sale but i am ususlly don't buy my gilrs any clothes becuase it seems they don't last very long and i am out buying another pair of jeans before i know it.Right now we have some stuff on sale.I have some of it left over from last year so that is a big help too.

Mish
Plus i make sure to keep lots of extra folders and loose leaf paper.I seem to need that stuff as the year goes by.
:)

cat lover 08-06-2015 02:54 PM

bump