Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 06-12-2006, 01:36 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

What a great idea.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenmelon
One year I got tins and put family recipes inside. It was five of grandma's favorites cookies. Then because gma had a broken hand, my dh and I made batches of those cookies for gma to have at her house when the children visited.
I love personal family gifts like this. I seem to be the only one in my family who does anything like this. I might use your idea for Christmas this year and give my recipes to my family.

Thanks!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-12-2006, 02:07 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I often wonder how many people make personla gifts for family?
Old 07-18-2006, 03:43 AM

Good morning all!

Even though it is going to be in the 100's today, I am thinking about frugal Christmas gifts. I pick up lots of little things all year long, using coupons and matching them with sales. Last year, there were flashlights that came with batteries (coupons were in the Sunday papers), led lights from Staples ($10 off $10 card in the mail), candy (on sale with coupons), razors (totally free with coupons), bath wash, again free with coupons), and lastly, some candy that again was close to free with coupons. These gift bags were a hit. From time to time, I will purchase socks that have been marked down, open packages, put ribbon to hold pairs together, and include them too.

Also, there were lots of free candles (w/purchase - I purchased a $1 gift bag that actually fit the size of the candle) from BBW. The coupons for the free candles were in Woman's Day magazine. I purchased a dozen or so of the magazines, pulled that coupon, and I believe there were a whole sheaf of coupons for food also in that issue. I went to BBW, explained that I had a lot of coupons. The girls there were all seasonal help, and many were in training. I hit a day with 4 girls and a manager. They took turns with the register, and we all had a ball. In order for me to take advantage of the offer, each bag and free candle had to be rung separately. I had allotted for the time, and there were 2 registers, and not a lot of people in the store at that time. That was another nice frugal Christmas gift.

I like getting the mixes, whether it is a cookie mix, cocoa mix, a soup mix, whatever. You know everyone made an effort to make those.

Ellenmelon, socks seem rather ambitous to make for Christmas gifts.

I have some shawl patterns, one is rather unique - it circular with arm holes. People have a lot of fun figuring out how to put it on. And it is fairly easy to whip up.

I always make at least one Christmas afghan to give to a special person each year too.

Well ladies, better go for now.

Take care all. Norma
Old 07-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Last year I made all the teenage girls french memories boards,I used fabric to match their room colors they loved them. Not sure what I'll do this year.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Assistant Moderator

Good ideas, I like to start thinking of christmas gifts this time of year so the $$ don't get to much at once. I love to make personal gifts for just the right person.
My mil loved a pretty envelope I made for her for her b-day card this year I have a template, so for her last mothers day I copied the template in heavy card (2 sizes) and put together patterned papers big enough to make the envelopes, with some writing paper to write to her friends. She loves making her one off envies, one crafty thing her fingers are still able to make.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

This year I'm making Chicken Noodle soup with homemade noodles and homemade bread with a jar of strawberry jam that I made this year and that is what my brother's family will get...they all love my soup so I thought that would be a good gift.(there's 4 brothers) Then on the DIY network I saw a cute idea for the teenagers of the family it's a journal and you put material on it, I'm going to get material that goes with each girl ex. one likes horses, one likes basketball, my nephew likes golf so his will have golf on it. Now my husbands family is a little more difficult to do they are not into homemade gifts except his one sister so I'll make her family something like I do mine. I might even use the candle with a CD idea I liked that. Well have a great night.
Rosey
Old 07-18-2006, 06:43 PM
Nine Year Member

I can make a pair of socks in 6 hours if small needles, #2 or if larger needles, #5 it goes faster. I would need to make 8 pairs for 4 families (#2 for the mom and #5 or larger for the dad).

I already have the yarn. What bothers me is that the job is hard on my hands so I hope they recover by September so Ican get started!

I made enough mittens last year for my family to be good for this year.

Denim purses make quick Birthday party gifts. Just need to embellish. Been looking at store boughts. Seems like sequins are big right now.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 07-26-2006, 07:06 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I just found this thread. Wow! Ok, so I'm hookes.
Sweetnell, What is a girls french memories board?

And ellenmelon, do you make or buy the denim purses?

Norma, Rosey, Bilby, you are all so energetic. These ideas are great.
(Rosey, can you add me to your homemade chicken noodle soup list)? LOL it sounds delicious.

Not sure what I'll be doing this year, but now is the time to start.

Maryann

We learn lessons in the school of suffering
that we can learn in no other way.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Maryann afrench memory broad is a broad that is may from a painters canaves that has batting put on it ,then you can cover it with any type of frabic on it,then you use ribbon to make crissed cross on the broad to make sections with buttons at the aera where the ribbon cross. You can use heavy duty staples on it and glue the buttons on. It is used to put pictures or postcards on it. If I can I will try to get a good picture of my dd & try to post it for you. I also did a bulletin broad cover with farbic for her.
I got the ideas from the internet but don't recall what site they were on if I run across them I will post them for you. They are easy because there no sewing!LOL