Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 07-13-2004, 07:20 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Nothing specific, just some ideas...

What?!? Nobody's posted?!?

I bought a few square plates at Target from their Summerville line that just clearanced at 90%, making it about 25cents each. They're white with some sort of pink floral/asian design on them. I'll put a few pillar candles on there, wrap a piece of ribbon around it and that'll take care of a couple of people for gifts.

Movie night basket was a hit as far as Christmas gift basket ideas. Pretty cheap, though greatly appreciated and takes care of two people at once if given to a couple.

Buying when you come across a good deal and storing it away is obvious. I bought three of the ice shaving machines from the same Summerville line at 79cents each-they were $9.99. I also found a few bottles of flavoring on sale for $1.28 and put those away with the shavers. That takes care of three friends' kids for Christmas already. Last year I bought a couple of green cracked glass votive holders at half price-those are for my sister in law at Christmas. I've done some surveys and earned a few Amazon gift certificates. I use those for my kids to get some goodies that I can't see shelling out real cash for-like a PS2 game for ds, calendar for dd.

I like to make "...in a jar" gifts or bath salts or fleece or crocheted blankets...

I'd love to see more ideas!
Old 07-13-2004, 07:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Great Ideas!!!

I made the "movie night baskets" for Easter for my son and my nephews. They were a big hit.

You found some great bargains at Target too!

I wish that we had a Target closer to us.

If you have any other ideas, please post them!! Im always looking for great gifts ideas that are cheap for me to put together.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-25-2004, 06:10 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

a few more gift ideas

This is from a crafters point of view, OK? LOL

For my mil birthday this year I made her a scrapbook of all her grandchildren and great grands. I have extra page protectors to add as needed, LOL

For xmas for friends I made cookies in a jar recipies, decorated with xmas fabrics and ribbons and a tag/card with the remaining ingredients needed.

I have 2 in the military so I collect items year round they can use, in a plastic clear box, then i decorate it and send to them if they cannot make it home. It has things like combs, brushes, mini bottles of shampoo, conditioners, make up after shaves, razors, oh and cannot forget the cookies, LOL if they have a kitchen then just the recipies minus the wet ingredients.

I make decorated grapevine wreaths decorated with something to match the reciepients decor.

I make breads like zucchini, raisin or carrot for neighbors who are diabetic using a diabetic cookbook.

canned preserves and some homemade sweet cakes.

these are just some of the things i do for inexpensive gifts for friends and family

I do make all my cards and have started on xmas already LOL

And if your only great at making birthday cards then you can search out others who would like to do a card swap to possibly get a variety of different handmade cards.

Take care
Bonnie

http://www.youravon.com/btaylor3143
Old 07-28-2004, 08:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

christmas wreath idea

Here's a simplewreath idea which I saw in November (maybe december 2003) Style At Home Magazine for a Christmas wreath. Take a 12" wreath form and wrap with two or three white maribou boa's (not feather boa's - the maribou are fuzzy), attach one silver ball/ornament (or another colour to suit your decor). If you pick up the boa's at Michael's for 40% off, or even better somewhere else, you have a reasonably priced Christmas wreath - it was very stylish and simple.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
These are all great ideas!!

Keep 'em coming!!!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-28-2004, 03:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ok, I'm in.

Mine are mostly craft ideas as well. My best is at this link:

http://www.organizedchristmas.com/ftopict-1389.html

2. Magnetic pockets: Attach a magnet to cut off jean's pocket and personalize with fabric paint for holding lunch money, etc.

3. quilts

4. chocolate kiss trees

5. fleece scarves

6. drawstring bags

7. Potholders

Recently I needed a wedding gift and found a beautiful, heavy crystal bowl at JCPenny's for $15.00!!! It was 66% off!
Old 08-24-2004, 10:04 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

What about for teenagers/college students?
We do a gift exchange on my dh's side with extend family. Every person in a family get's a name, so you only have to buy/make gifts for the same number of people in your family. We have 5, and 1 is in high school, 2 in college. We don't know them real well as we don't live near them - we can remember them as little kids LOL!
Any good ideas? We need to be rather frugal this year, as always!
Thanks
Old 08-25-2004, 05:29 AM

basketbug2

Check out our crafts section for some easy projects. Off hand for the college students I would think a small gift basket with scent soaps (see soaps for ideas in the craft section). Also look around in Oct. to Nov. for local craft shows... where you can pick up little crafts at good prices. For example we are doing a craft show in Nov. and none of our items will be over $20.00. I make pint size canning jar candles scented with fall and winter scents such as pumpkin pie, apple pie, caramel apple.. you get the idea I sell these for $5.00 each. Candles are always a hit with anyone over 16. You can also learn to make your own, they are pretty easy.

You can also start saving Pringles cans now and make cookies, put in the cans and mail.. they hold up pretty well.

Hope this helps.

Oh also, check out our Garage Sale here I'm sure as the closer we get to the holidays the more people will list items for sale and nothing is over $25.00.

Anna
Old 08-25-2004, 08:08 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

OSI
Thanks, I never even thought of using Pringles cans to send cookies! My sister-in-law is in college (mil had 3 kids, each 11 years apart HAHA even she thinks she is crazy!)
Anyways, my kids love sending their auntie things in the mail, so I can't wait to try that one!

I've never made candles . . . Although at our craft shows here they are way more expensive than $5!! Maybe I'll have to go to the library and see if they have a book I could check out!
Old 08-26-2004, 10:02 AM

bskbug2

We have a candle section on here in the crafts section, you may be able to get some links there. It's really pretty easy except getting the wick to stand up straight, grrr.....! I have found it helps to use one of those large potato chip clips to hold it up while the candles solids up. It's alot of fun. I use pint mason jars, cheap and easy.

Have fun.

Anna