Clubs - Page 2 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 03-22-2004, 10:21 AM
Assistant Moderator

wildflower
it looks as if you got some good ideas here

sorry Im late in respond just got home last night from being out of town... women of faith conf.

so here is my 2 cents:

Wendi67
how do you plan Bunko.... I played it a long time ago and it was fun, but I've forgotten.... would love to learn it again. thanks.
also what ages or does it matter what ages...
you need to write down your goals of what do you want out of a group, what is your purpose? then go from there.

also the RED Hat group can be fun... for the ones that are under 50 wears pink hats, and the ones that are over 50 wears red hats. they go and do and have activies.
web site is http://redhatsociety.com/events/conv...allas2004.html

been to a group that once a month they have a brunch over at someone else. they have door prizes, and if you win a door prize you bring the next gift... then the host brings a gift as well. there about 3 door prizes + the hostess door prize and the ladies sign up what month they want to host the brunch.

I do hope the best for you and all ladies that are doing something.

we also have at our church once a month we meet and just chit chat it more of a support group to bring our problems, and decuss and pray and uplift one another.
the main thing women needs to get away from the rat race of at home and to enjoy other women.

Fabrizia welcome to FC and we also have a religious thread if you haven't found it yet, for I've been gone for a few days and not checked it out to see if we had any new comers.

for the craft group, I had a friend that at her church she was the one that got a craft night going for them.. they did it several ways which I will explain.

1) she got all the supplies and then had to pay her for them
this one had some problems for some didn't pay or pay way after the fact

2) you had to pay in advance _ it worked but some felt that she could have got it cheaper

3)finally she said you could pay in advance or here is the list to go and get your own supplies... this one seem to worked the best

4) I've also heard from another person that you paid a certain amount per month to belong to the group... this one had pro and cons.
pro.... she had the money and no one forgot the supplies
cons... alot knew they couldn't come evey week and they felt cheated.

main point no matter which way you go you find some that will love the idea and others will complain no matter what

now if you going to start it you could take a vote to see which way they would like it and go from there.

putting ads out can help and other times it might do anything.
word of mouth is very important for if they are having fun they would want to invite others.
putting it in the paper you could draw others that might never know about it except thru paper

of course you could always put up flyers in places.... which can be a good way of promoting... put up in senior citizen places, grocier stores, library, etc.

Alida sounds fun....what are some of the activities do you all do in this group?
Old 03-22-2004, 12:22 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Bunko for Bar_Bar

Hi Bar_Bar,

I've copied and pasted my own start up letter for our Bunko group. I hope this helps you will all the details! Every group does things the way they want and these rules are by no means set in stone. You may have played differently in your old group. Let me know if you have any questions!

HOW TO GET STARTED: We will begin with 12 players (although 4-8 will work), 3 tables, 9 dice, and scorecards & pencils. The 3 tables are designated as the “Winners”, “Middle”, or “Losing” table. As players arrive they will draw their scorecard out of a bag to determine where they will sit to start the game for the evening. Each scorecard will be marked with a W, M, or L to determine which table you will start at. Put your name on your card and keep it with you.
There are six rounds in each game of Bunko. For each round we will roll in order for the corresponding number on the dice (1-6). The Winners table controls the pace of play by starting and ending each round with a ring of the bell. The person sitting directly across from you during each round is your partner and you accrue points as a team. One member in each team will keep track of all team points scored during the round. Once the bell is rung each table will start rolling and the play continues clockwise until the “Winners” table rings the bell again to signify the round is over. .
Teams earn points by rolling the three dice. Players are trying to roll the same number or the “target number” as the number Round we are playing, (for example, rolling in Round 3). Each player rolls as long as they score one or more “target” numbers on the 3 dice. When they fail to roll the target number on any of the dice, the dice are passed to the next player. The team with the most points at the end of the round moves to the next table for the next round.

POINTS: One point is scored each time a “target” number on the dice is rolled. Five points are awarded for rolling a “Triple” or three of a kind of any number except the current target number. For example rolling in Round 3 earns your team 5 points. Rolling BUNKO is worth 21 points for the team. It is earned when 3 of a kind is rolled of the target number. For example, rolling in Round 3. However, only the person who rolled the Bunko gets to mark it on their score sheet as a Bunko.
The round is over when the Winners table reaches 21 points and rings the bell. If the Winner’s table reaches 21 points before the other players at other tables have all had a chance to roll the dice at least once, the table(s) continues playing until all 4 players have gotten to roll one time, then the teams total their score to determine the winners/losers. At the end of each round the winning teams from the Middle and Losing tables move up to the next higher table. The losing team from the Winners table moves down the Losing table. Teams change for each round, be sure and always sit across from a new partner for each new round.
$$ HOW TO WIN: We will vote as a group to pay either $5 or $10 for each month’s game. All of this money will go towards the prizes (The higher and lower value of the prizes corresponds to how much we vote to pay). Prizes will be given at the end of the night for Most Bunkos ($20 or $40), Most Wins ($20 or $40), Most Losses ($5 or $10), Middle of the Road ($5 or $10), and Fuzzy Dice ($10 or $20). If the group also decides, gifts may be given instead of money, but must be the same value as the cash prize. The next month’s hostess will purchase these gifts in advance, so it’s necessary that we all pay 1 month in advance.

HOSTESSES: Each regular member will have a chance to host bunko in their home. If you are not able to have Bunko in your home other arrangements can be made. Being a Hostess means you will provide a space for us to play, have the bunko game set up and ready to play, and provide plates, cups, utensils (plastic & paper are great) and beverages. We have a potluck every month and it will also be your responsibility to make sure the other members know what to bring with them. You do not have to make a potluck dish the night you host, but you can if you decide to. Also, if the group decides gifts or cash is acceptable then you as that month’s hostess will decide to either go SHOPPING for gifts or give cash prizes!

Normally it doesn't bother me when my mind wanders...only when it doesn't come back!

Old 03-23-2004, 07:51 AM
A Member of the Family

Who's this guy?
FamilyCorner Admirer

Bunko sounds interesting, but I think I would have to play it with someone who knows how for the first time! I am not so fast at understanding games from reading.....

Barbara, we don't do a lot of activities at our group, but the hostess decides what we will do, so at my night we made facial scrubs, bath salts and lip balms, and I gave out the recipes. Usually we just play a board game, but we always do the little gift exchange, which is fun as we can pick a bag, or steal one already picked! I haven't done anything much social for a long time, as work (full time), taking that 10 mo. course, and having 2 kids get married last summer took all my spare time and am still catching up! My dh is very sweet, but not social, and i would have to make plans and tell him we are doing something for him to go, he just says he is happy at home and I am his best friend and he doesn't need anyone else! How can you fault him for saying that?

Your Herbal Connection!
Old 03-23-2004, 11:35 AM
Assistant Moderator

Wendi67 Thank you dear. that was really sweet of you for writting it all down for me... I will read it and re-read it later again. to let it soak in my brain that I find in my big toe. LOL LOL

Alida if you had me in your group we would have a blast together. LOL,
how long has the group been together and how many women?

I am thankful for my bible study group and I know I need to get out more and be involve in other things, but the time is not there like I wish... but Oh hea I feel as if I have a group called Family corner and I love coming and chating and reading and being involved with all of you...

It would be neat if this Family corner could come together and met... I know the women of faith board Im on we had about 6 of us that met up with one another during the Women of Faith conf. that I just got back from. wow it was wonderful.

I do hope others will share about their clubs? for women needs to get together and share and uplift one another.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:14 PM
A Member of the Family

Who's this guy?
FamilyCorner Admirer

Barbara, WE WOULD have a blast together! You know it girl!!! There are 12 of us (one for each month of the year, as we each get a turn at the money) I won't be in the draw again this year, but I also won't have to host again, just bring my $20. and my $2. gift that starts with the letter the hostess picks - My letter was L as in my last name, I get lettuce and a ladle, some other gifts were a ladybug, licorice, lotto ticket, etc. This month is 'C' so I have some candles...hard to stick with the $2. limit, but keeps us from getting carried away too!
I don't know how long this group has been getting together, but at least a couple years...they are really popular right now, some are called 'clothing clubs' but we can spend the money on whatever we want, as long as it is for ourself! I bought a massage table, which I would practice on all of you when I get going with my courses!!

Your Herbal Connection!
Old 03-23-2004, 07:49 PM
Assistant Moderator

Alida you can practice on me any time you want to. but should we meet in the middle some place?
plus would love to meet you too.

the club sounds fun. and that is good that the money you get you have to spend on yourselves. so many times we put the money back into our family... so we need that break and do something wild or get something we really want or need.

mmm now what on earth would I get for myself.... I would say massage but I going to get that from you... so I think I would go and get my hair done and hi lited to a ash blond maybe. as I have had that done before and it was fun and I did enjoy it and so did dh.

if I had a lot go get a scanner all in one.... for I need that and haven't had the money to get that yet.

not sure what else.

well have fun in the club. and you got a long time before the yr is up.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:10 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Mothers Groups

I don't know if you have tried this but if you are a member of Yahoo they may already have mother groups in your area. Do a group search and they will list them.. I did it and its been neat. I haven't been able to participate much but I have a little and met some wonderful people.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:23 PM
A Member of the Family

Who's this guy?
FamilyCorner Admirer

Bar_bar, isn't it fun to dream of what to spend your money on if you had lots?! I don't think I would ever want to be so rich that I could have everthing that I wanted, would you? What would we dream of then? (although a little cash would be OK!!!)
Now you have me curious as to what color your hair is now? If you want ash blond, I am thinking you are already in the blond or light brown area....mine is dark, not black, but a very dark brown. Do you have a pic on a link somewhere? I think you have seen mine..
I guess I am getting off the 'club' track!! Anyway I am really enjoying my club, been to 4 now, the only problem is that I work quite a few nightshifts, which sure interferes with my social life. Never fails that as soon as I want to plan something, or my in-laws come for a visit - I have to work! I guess I should be glad I have a job!

Your Herbal Connection!
Old 06-03-2004, 04:58 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Recipe Club

I'd like to know how to start a recipe club.
Some of us only have 3 people in our family and some have 6.

Once a month would be great.
How do I start one up?
Old 06-03-2004, 09:52 PM
Assistant Moderator

do you want this to be a email or a snail mail thing or what?

are these folks all close by to one another?

how many are there as you said some has 3 and others has 6 so how many groups do you have?

do you all met already or this is somethig that would be new?