Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 02-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

How connected are you to your communities?

How connected are you to your communities?
Do you go to the same stores where you know the cashiers?
Do you know your postman? Your neighbors? Are you involved in community or school events?

I know where all the healthfood stores are and I shop locally and eat seasonally. My husband and I live near downtown and we like to do our business there rather than the malls when possible. Downtown ,we use the drug store, coffeehouse, bank, mechanic, post office.... My husbands office is downtown, an 8 block walk from our house. There are a handfull of delis and lunch places downtown that we like.
There are a lot of people in our city who are homeless. I feed them and talk to them. I enjoy just talking to people in general when I am downtown at the drug store having a soda.

I visit my neighbor lady who is 85. I go to a lot of events...parades, fairs, park concerts, arts and crafts events and the like.
I am sort of artsy fartsy though I prefer local theatre more than I really do art museums.
I like socializing with one or 2 friends or family but do not like large groups.

I really like the community I live in.

hugs, train
Old 02-09-2004, 02:10 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We live in a very small community.. just moved here a year ago march. And I am really trying to get involved as much as I can. I joined the Women of Today and we do alot with the community like seasonal parties for the kids, the parade for the fair, fundraisers etc.
Since we are small.. it doesnt take long to get to know the cashiers at the stores etc. Whatever I can buy here I do... but somethings you just need to go to the big city for.
I attend church and maybe next year I will get more involved with the school as both of my kids will be attending.
I am working on involving myself and family as much as we can.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I grew up in Houston and really didn't feel I had many roots as I had no family and such.

With the exception of Maggy who was 1 year and 10 mos. when we moved to Chambersburg, my other 2 were born here.

The kids have been involved in the same school district all of their life

We know the postal workers and grocery/ convience clerks

Although Chambersburg is growing...it still has small town appeal. I feel particularly blessed to live here and feel very much a part of this community.
I am also thankful to have been able to give my children a childhood with friends they grew up with and stability.

It also comes in handy to be outgoing and know so many folks because those same people know who my kids are

Admit your mistakes so that NO ONE else can exaggerate them
You can NOT amputate your HISTORY from your DESTINY~ Beth Moore
Old 04-21-2004, 06:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Morelia,
It is great that your children have been able to stay in the same school district.
We moved a lot when I was a child and it was always hard starting over at new schools. I think that is another reason I am so involved in my community, the more I move, the more I want to have "roots" wherever I am living; if that makes sense! Everytime I move I always get involved in the communities "Newcomers Club" (If they have one), church, etc....
It is nice to feel like you belong.

hugs,train
Old 04-23-2004, 10:02 PM
Assistant Moderator

Trainlady I see you caught up and you are doing one of your favorite things asking questions. Welcome back once again, and welcome back to the forum where you are asking and getting opinions.

we didn't want to move where we are back in 97 but so thankful we are here now. We feel this is where we suppose to be and this was where GOD put us...
We like to go to the same coffee shop and we have 2 that we go to... and when we miss a day they wanting to know why. LOL

we go to a chruch that is only about 10 min from the house.

everyone knows us it seems, yet I do not know them as much as they know us. which could be good. LOL

my grocier store I like to go to the same one, and dh goes to the other one.

my dh is on the 4 B board, and very familar with the city mananger and mayor.. as we are friends...

this community has tooken us in like we have lived here for ever.. but we were in scouts and this was one of the districts my dh had when he was the scout commissioner.. then I was a unit
commissioner for the pack that was here... way before we ever moved here, and that was one reason we didn't want here, for what we saw we didn't like... we were to blind to see all that this town had to offer.. This town has grown and done lots of changes since 97....

Plus I had worked at the Senior citizens and met alot of the seniors that took me in and loved on me which was what I needed as I started there in 99 shortly after my mother passed away and they just loved on me... a lot of momma's.

We always moved around when I was a kid and so did dh... so we were looking for roots, and GOD provided just that here in our little town.... and as long as I can I will keep my roots here in our little town that we love so much.

We are so thankful GOD played a trick on us and moved us here. as we didn't know we were looking at a house in this town, we thought it was another town, and then I fell in love with the house and dh didn't like it. I prayed and asked GOD if that was the house that HE would change dh mind, and the next day he wanted to look at it again, and lo and behold we are living in the house he hated at first. SO I figure GOD wanted us in the town and so thankful too.

Thank YOU LORD for our town, our house... and blessing us with all these folks in this town and the impovements you are making in this town....Thank YOU LORD for giving us roots finally. for we both so much needed them..
amen.

thanks Train for asking this question. LOVE YOU....
Old 04-24-2004, 11:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Ladies,
I can relate to the feeling of wanting to have roots, having moved so much in my life as well. Though I have lived in a lot of places I have always been pretty good at getting involved and making new friends, even as a young child. I have friends everywhere I have lived, from 2nd grade on.......and that feels good!!

Where did you leave, Barbar, when you moved to Texas? It's always hard starting over but sounds as if you have "sunk roots" just fine!! (For me, the first year is always the hardest.)

Doesn't it make you feel good when you are missed at the coffeeshop; it really makes you realize how much people care about you!
Is your church small or big? I only know a handful of people at our Catholic church because it is so big, but I know lots of faces since I greet on Sundays. We have always experienced fellowship on a far deeper bases at the Protestant churches we have attended over the years (meaning thru all the moves!! )
We are still trying to sink roots into a Protestant church, here though; have tried a few not to Mark's liking but have visited one for 6 weeks now that I think he is going to like. We have always gone to 2 services our whole marriage...I am Catholic, Mark is Baptist and so we call ourselves "Bapolics!!" LOL!!!!
Anyway, I love the feeling you get from fellowship and being known in a church family.

Sherbear, I have lived in big cities and small towns! Where did you move from? Do you like the small town you are in or do you miss your old home? Probably a little of both, I imagine?
The Women's group sound like it is fun!!
One thing I learned in the small towns is I didn't need a LOT to do as long as I had a small circle of girlfriends...that makde all the difference!! I hope you are making some friends and nice neighbors where you live. Like I said, the first year is the hardest.

Thanks for responding to my question, I will be on a roll this afternoon posting some more!!!!

hugs,train
Old 04-24-2004, 01:37 PM
Assistant Moderator

oooopppppppssss I sorry trainlady that I gave you the wrong impression... I've always lived in Texas, except for 1 time, when I Lived up in Washington State..

We always moved from area to area in the FT Worth area.

Our chruch is small, and I like the smaller chruches the best...
as I feel all lost in those big ones..

will be looking forward to your other questions.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I've only recently gotten involved in my community. Twenty-eight years ago, I bought this home. Eight years later, I was widowed. Eleven years ago, I remarried. During those first few years I lived here, I worked 20 miles away as my first job in the community was a disaster. So, I worked in the next Big City. After being widowed, I lived in the Big City in which I worked.
Now, back in my home in this community, rented out for many years, my daughter lives with her family 3 miles from me. My granddaughter goes to the same high school she attended.
I'm recently divorced. During the last year, I started out volunteering at an agency that helped me with food when my husband left. That turned into another volunteer job where I met some people from an previous church I attended. The woman who runs the Habitat Resale Shop also is the Habitat Director, and a member of my church. She was leading a class in the Stephen Ministry, a lay person in the church who helps people through crisis. I've just finished that course, will be Commissioned in a week, and have been given my first person to help.
At the Habitat Annual Dinner, I met doctors I knew from years ago. It seems everywhere I go in the small town, I meet the same people.
My daughter worked for the local Fed. Judge. At his birthday party, I met people I knew from where I attend free music jam sessions (guitars, banjos, mandolins, fiddles, Dobros), just a bunch of musicians who love to play. The doctor who took care of my daughter 28 years ago, sings and plays at the jam sessions and also was at the 75th b'day party for the Fed. Judge as was my attorney and my husband's. ,
I really didn't know what was going on in my community for the last 6 years as my husband was sick and I stayed home with him. Seems he was mostly lazy and not as sick as he pretended to me. Once he left me, he could cook, clean, and do many things I was doing for him!
People ask me if I'm going to move, now that I'm divorced. No, this is my "home". I bought it when I moved South with my lst husband, and it is mine! Although he tried to get the court to "divide the property", he didn't win. He had no proof of his ridiculous claims that he helped me pay it off. It was paid off when he moved in!
One of the women at the Stephen Ministry has given me the brochure to be come a hospital volunteer. The Habitat Resale Shop didn't work out for me, although I enjoyed the time I was there. They used strong chemicals to clean the area and the donations. Also, the waterless hand cleaners one volunteer used made me sneeze. So, another volunteer opportunity came up at the hospital. They "When God closes one door, he opens a big window." So true.
I find out what is going on in my community by reading the newspaper. This week, I will be involved in a Round Table Discussion at the local library on what I think of the local newspaper and my community. It was advertised in the newspaper, reply by e-mail. He replied twice and then called for a special invitation. What fun! I had to reply with a little information about myself. In that reply, I told him how I've been a resident here for 28 years, how my daughter lives in the community but works in the Big City next to us as an attorney, that my granddaughter attends the same school her Mother did.
At the library I met the maintenance man who also plays the violin at the jam session I attend twice a week.
I have been blessed with a few good friends this past year, one of them a great neighbor. I say you can't buy good neighbors and I have great neighbors. No reason to go anywhere else.
With the move of my daughter to a beautiful home with 25 acres 3 miles from me, my granddaughter still at home for the next year at least until she starts college, there is no reason to go anywhere. My "roots" are here and I love my 5 acres in the country! Yes, I'm now involved in my community.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:19 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

Small Communities

Don't need to live in a small community if you have lived in the same house for over 8 1/2 years.
Same postal worker, same neighbors and yes, I still frequent the same grocery store. Same O Same O here.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I try to stay involved in my community. I am a Red Cross Diseaster Volunteer, a Notary and I belong to the Auburn Citizens Police Accademy Assoication.