Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Good topic! I don't drive by choice. I have always lived within walking distance of work, stores, groceries and parks. I walk about a mile to work and love it. The down time coming home is great. I use public transportation when I need to get somewhere not within walking distance. However, my parents are getting older and would like to be able to drive them if necessary. But my husband just won't take the time to get me out there and refresh my skills. I do know how to drive, just have to practice. Don't know what the hang-up with hubby is....but hate paying for a temp license every year and not using it. I still would walk, just want it for emergencies. Other family members are too busy to teach. My son, 20, has chosen to wait...Good thing!!... due to cost of insurance and upkeep. I won't pay for him, it is an adult responsilblity and one that he needs to pay for himself if he wants to drive. He loves to walk also.
My friends think I am crazy for loving to walk so much, but I am healthier because of it. At 48, it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks! And all the wonderful things you miss when riding in a car!

Lizajane
Old 01-31-2004, 07:41 AM
BoggsZ

I would gladly give up my car if i lived close to town were i could walk that would be great but not here in the boonies I have had to put so much money in my car lately but i well almost have a new one by the time there done. Oh how I would love to live near somthing that would be great.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

I live in the "country"; it's a 15 min. drive to all the stores, parks, etc. The only thing in my neighbourhood we could walk to is the lake. We don't have public transportation either.

Sooo..I have to drive everywhere. Schools, grocery shopping, library, parks, restaurants, post office, etc.

~Melanie
Old 01-31-2004, 10:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

This post brought back a memory I hadn't thought about for years, so bear with me while I relive it. When I was engaged to my husband (whispering almost 27 years ago), I was going to school and lived across the street from the college and only a couple of blocks from the grocery store, so I didn't need a car. Besides that, one of my roommates was my sister, so when I needed to go places farther than that, she would take me. One day I decided to go shopping, and I bought more than I really needed to including a watermelon. I don't know what possessed me to buy so much, because I didn't even have a basket on my bike, and this was in the days before plastic bags with handles, so I called my then boyfriend to come up and help me. Well, he didn't have a car either, but lived about 9 blocks away. He walked up there and helped me home. I was 19 and dumb but he was so patient. I thought he would think I was stupid, and I was embarrassed, but he was so kind and never said anything more about it. Sorry, just had to share that.
Due to finances, we have had to give up our 2nd car, so it makes life very interesting, but we do it, and if we lived closer to stores, schools and jobs, I think we would still have a car, just for out of town trips.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Scootles... Call your local police department.. they might know someone who teaches driving....

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 01-31-2004, 07:14 PM
Assistant Moderator

Most shops that I need are within walking distance and yes I do walk. My youngest goes to a school not in our suburb as I don't like it so I do have to drive him into and home from school soem 7 klms away. Hubby needs the other car for work. Guitar and sports are also a distance away
If everything was within walking distance then yes I'd glady give up one of our cars.

Old 02-01-2004, 08:34 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

How do you mean safe? Do you mean safe like it won't crash, or that you can guarantee there won't be any weirdos on it?

A while back I had my car stolen and was forced to ride the bus and trolley in San Diego. People were always yelling and cursing and spitting on each other. (These were in the so-called "nice" areas of San Diego) I had people threatening me because I was white.

It was an awful year. I rode the bus and trolley with my head down because people waited for the opportunity to say you looked at them wrong.

I also met very nice, interesting and thoughtful people, but it didn't outweigh the risk of being assaulted.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:57 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I dont drive because of eye troubles (blind in one) with no perprial vison! This is one of the main reasons we moved to an "urban' area! When I did work dh and went in together as our work was only about a mile or 2 from each other. However there is always public transportation as well if I needed it. I love to walk when the weather is nice, ds and I travel in his stroller to the grocery,and if I need to get a lot I just wait for dh to take me! We also are in walking distance of our library, several restraraunts. even a second run movie house that Dh and go to in the summer once in awhile. I sometimes do get bitter though about not being able to drive such as this winter! I am kinda stuck at home a lot...In the next breath though I dont know where we would find the extra money to have 2 cars plus insurance! So I am thankful we dont have to worry about that. When ds starts school it is only 2 blocks away so will have to walk. I am hoping I can maybe pay another parent or something to give him a ride on bad weather days...This is a big fear of mine! I have awhile to worry though! All in all it does work for us!
Leighann
Old 02-01-2004, 04:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

We also live across the street from my son's former grade school, and 4 blocks from the high school. The only time we had any problems was during middle school. My husband would take him up and he would ride the bus home, dropping him off 1 1/2 blocks away. He, as I mentioned is now 20, and I walk whatever the weather, snow, rain, 30 below zero weather! But the other half just can't get into the habit, and it's too bad. Actually enjoy the cold days and the "screeching" sound your shoe/boots make on the snow. Unfortunatly, this was the second winter in a row that I broke my ankle. Had to get a lot of rides from the hubby, but once the cam walker went on and the doctor ok'd it, I walked. The cold air is invigorating! And I love to walk when it is snowing. I don't miss driving at all. It has saved us money, since we don't have a 2nd car and the insurance to worry about. I truly miss it when I can't walk.

Lizajane
Old 02-02-2004, 08:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My sister and I lived with my aunt for two months before my mom could come up (she was still working for two months and then was transfering. She took us to my aunt's so we wouldn't have to start a new school in November.) Anyway, we walked everywhere b/c it was a little town, but had most everything. It was great.

We only have one car now, and it works most of the time. My mom and sister are close if we need two cars for something. My husband drives to the subway parking lot in the 'burbs and commutes that way to the city. We will take him on days we need the car for something, such as the theater or museum. We homeschool, so one car is a savings for us and we've made it work. I think it would work more for people if they looked at what they need vs. everything they want. But that's my opinion. We have a more family-oriented life style with one car and homeschooling.

We want to move to the country though, and that would require more driving. But I think one car could still work. We'll see.

Jen