Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My favorite novel has been "And the Ladies of the Club" by
Helen Hooven Santmyer, .... it's a long book, but I didn't want it to end. This author has a way of drawing you into the lives of these ladies. I have purchased this book at least 20 times, and given it as gifts. Each person that has read it, loved it..

I know books are expensive.. but you can get used books at Amazon.. and I have done that.. Never had a problem with them.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 01-18-2004, 12:46 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I, like many of you, am an avid reader and don't think I could possibly name one favorite book. However several stand out from different time periods.
As a child I remember "Princess Goldenhair and the wonderful flower". I don't know why, but I remember I loved it. I would love to find a copy of it.
In high school I read "The Silver Chalice". Not even sure if I'm spelling it right but it's by Thomas B. Costain. I don't have a very good memory for authors but that one stuck out for some reason. I really loved the book at the time and went on to read many other books about the time period.
Through the years I've gone through different interests. At one point I couldn't get enough about Henry the VIII. Then it was all the different books about Camelot. Then science fiction and fantasy. Somewhere in there I couldn't find enough autobiographys.
Nowadays I like something light and enjoyable with the occasional who done it thrown in as long as it has some humor. I love the one with the two siamese cats and the cooking ones with recipes thrown in.
Most recently, although I don't think they are new books, I enjoyed The Carousel by Rosamunde Pilcher, and also An Ocean Apart which is by her son Robin Pilcher.
The last one, which again is not new,is A Certain Smile by Judith Michael. I didn't think I was going to like it but I really enjoyed getting, which felt like, an inside view of China. It really opened my eyes to that country and got rid of some old fixed ideas about it. Made me think.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:16 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I love Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters.
Also Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg. Also The Midwife by Gay Courter.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Jeannie...how funny that you would mention this particular book. I had just "unearthed" my copy from the books I still have stored at my parent's house this summer!
My mother gave it to me as a birthday gift the year it was written. It is a very thick book, but like you, was so drawn into the characters that is was sad for it to end. I am planning on re-reading it this summer.
Gone With The Wind is also a favorite, having read it at leat a dozen times over the years.
Too many to list, guess it depends on my mood since I read alot of books again. Love the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle series in childrens books...always makes me smile!

Lizajane
Old 01-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Liza.. fabulous book, eh what? *s*

The number of pages really doesn't bother me.... I wish it had been quadruple the amount....*s*

I'll have to do a re-read again soon. *s*

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 01-18-2004, 04:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Favorite Book - GWTW

My favorite book is Gone With The Wind...just like GWTW said....each time you read the book you learn something new that you did not realize before. I love to read Scarlett right after. I watch each of the movies about 1 time a year, too. I enjoy reading books on the history of things....Coca Cola, Cracker Jacks, Monopoly Game, and other weird things like that. I like biographies. too... like of Clark Gable, Marilyn Monroe, Joan Crawford, Larry Flynt, etc. I guess I am a little odd but well rounded in my likes. I also enjoy looking up celebrities at Internet Movie Database (www.imdb.com) to see their history in television and movies. About their lives.
E-Ma to 3

Look to the future, because that is where you'll spend the rest of your life. ~ George Burns ~
Old 01-18-2004, 05:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

"And Ladies of the Club"

I really enjoyed that book! I liked how it followed the people through their whole lifetimes. Great story.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:16 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My very frst book that I had read & reread was the VELVETEEN RABBIT. Later I really enjoyed THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA (I plan to read these to my children soon. I think they will enjoy THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE as much as I did/do) I have read extensively since then (not as much since I had the kids) and there is a series that I love to read & reread. The "Dragonriders" series by Anne McCafferty. After I read the first one I found the others and read them.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

The Simple Living Guide by Janet Luhrs is a great resource. It's one I like to reread every now and then when things start to get a little too crazy.

With fiction it's hard to pin down a favorite. I used to teach high school English before I decided to stay home with the kids, and even now I'm in a book club that has a "no trash" policy.

Anyway, here are a few that are entertaining and thought provoking:

Unless by Carol Shields
The Solace of Leaving Early by Haven Kimmell
Housewrights by Art Corriveau
The Red Tent by Anita Diamont
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

I could go on forever. But literature aside, I will admit to being a closet Nora Roberts addict. I'd need a 12-step program to stop reading her stuff!

--Janeen
Old 01-19-2004, 04:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Favorite book

My favorite of all time is "To Kill A Mockingbird". Second up is "The Secret Life of Bees" Peace! Roxie