Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 09-15-2003, 07:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Old Woolworth's Five and Dime Stores

Does anyone remember the old Woolworth Five and Dime stores?

I worked at the soda fountain at the Bakersfield store in the 1970s! I know Songberries worked at the one in Seattle!
I grew up only 30 miles from Seattle and going to the Woolworth's in downtown Tacoma, as a child, is such a wonderful memory!!
I would take my allowance there and Christmas shop. Mostly just window shop, otherwise!
When my grandma visited from Baltimore she would take me there for lunch! I felt so grownup sitting on those big barstools!!! My grandma loved the fried chicken and I loved the icecream sundae's!!
I remember working at Woolworth's, here in Bakersfield, right out of high school! Steak-Um sandwiches and pigs in a blanket were good sellers!! Also , of course the ice cream soda's, shakes and banana splits! I was so young and naive...I made a banana split for a customer one time and I thought it looked pretty good........only to find out I had forget to put the banana in it!!!

FW Woolworths went bankrupt in the 1980s, tho all the stores did not close at once. I was glad to be able to visit the one in Tacoma...as an adult...before it closed........... You know, those bar stools were not nearly as big as I remembered!!
The last store I was able to visit before it closed was while vacationing in Milwaukee one year.

Our downtown store has been reopened into an antique mall! The building still looks the same on the inside and still has the Woolworth's name outside...as well as has been kept as the name of the antique store! What is really cool is the soda fountain is open as well!!! You can still get a good old hamburger and fries tho the rest of the menu is more updated than the "sandwich plates", "Hot turkey and mashed potatoe plates" and my grandma's favorite "fried chicken plate" of the 1960s and 70s.
All the yummy pies that we served when I worked there in the 1970s have been replaced by apple dumplings and cookies.
You can still get the milk shakes and sundaes but they just don't taste nearly as good as they used to!!! The menu is more standard fare of sandwiches and salads today.
I love to go for the memories though! And they do make a pretty good hamburger!!!
When I lived in Indianapolis, there store had also done the same as our store here, opening as an antique mall. I wonder it is still in business.

Anyone else have memories of the old Woolworth's??

peace,train
Old 09-17-2003, 04:24 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

old woolworth's

yes,i do i was working there when the popcorn machine got hot and i started getting sick.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2003, 05:13 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I remember Woolworths, I loved eating there my grandma used to take me. I can taste the burger and fries now...Oh and the banana splits, milkshakes yummo! Ours was in the mall they also had a sub shop out in the front my dad always would get a hoagie there...
During my early teen years my brother and I got money from our xmas funds my step mom had for us, of course the whole family received presents from there! MEMORIES! They always had parakeets and fish that they sold I loved going to look at those!
Leighann
Old 09-17-2003, 09:12 AM
Nine Year Member

I worked in the Woolworth store from 1953 - 1955 while going to High School. Was in New York in the Bronx on Boston Post Road. Went everyday after school and Saturdays. Then the stores did not have air-conditioning or electronic cash registers. You had to add everything up yourself and figure change. Guess it kept your mind sharper without calcullators. Loved working in the jewelery department always had the latest style earrings. Still have some of them yet. Think I worked in every department in the two years I worked there. Of course they did sell things worth more that five & ten cents. It was an honor in those days to be picked to work in their stores. My brother & sister worked there afterwards too.
________
Sueanne
Old 09-26-2003, 04:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I kind of remember the Woolworth's stores, but what I remember even better is Mainland Pharmacy where I grew up. It had an old-fashioned soda fountain, where they served sandwiches, hamburgers, soups, breakfasts, and the best milkshakes in town. My mom used to buy me a milkshake to sit and sip while she was doing Christmas shopping for me. :p

Another pharmacy in town, Floyd's, has only recently closed. They also had a soda counter, and Floyd the pharmacist knew EVERYBODY by name... and I grew up in a town of 40,000. After I got my wisdom teeth removed, I had a mouth full of gauze and was extremely groggy. I remember, barely, sitting in my Dad's Suburban and saying, "I want a milkshake from Floyd's." (I hadn't gotten to eat since the night before, and I was starving!) My Dad waved me off, saying impatiently, "I know, I'll GET you a milkshake from Floyd's. Now be quiet, you're not supposed to talk!"

About an hour later, as I was sipping that vanilla milkshake from Floyd's, I realized that since I'd had a mouth full of gauze, what my Dad actually HEARD was something to the effect of, "Mumpfle murrfle mrrrfff mmmm frrrack." I don't have a CLUE how he understood me, but he did, and that's what counts!
Old 09-26-2003, 06:12 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

THis is so weird, I was just thinking of Woolworth's the other day.

But, I have a different memory of Woolworths. The two I remember were both in a Mall, we don't have very many "stand-alone" stores in our area.

I worked at the Distribution Center for Woolworth's, that was so neat to see how they really only had 4 DC's and everything they ordered went to the DC's and then it was sent out to the different stores from there. I guess that is the way Wal Mart and K-mart also work?

The first year DH, and I were out on our own, we were very young, 19 & 18 and two small children 1 yo and 4 months. We were very grateful for Woolworth's as I got a 10% discount, at their stores. (I know 10% does not sound like much) But, when you figure the cost of their items, were really low, that extra 10% went a long way. Espeically at Christmas time. My kiddos had a Woolworth's chirstmas, and then that Easter also, had a Woolworth's Easter.

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 09-29-2003, 12:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I worked at McCrory" five and ten at the lunch counter about 12 years ago. I loved working there. The customers were like friends and family. I made great tips and the job wasn't hard at all. They closed the store in 1996. Now it is a thrift store. I miss McCrorys.

The Woolworth's around here closed about 10 years ago. I would eat there occasionally for breakfast. Yummy.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I remember in the mid 60's going to woolworth's on the bus, with my brother and sister. We'd save our money from collecting pop bottles, and buy turtles from there. I had a really good week finding bottles once, and got a nice island-looking plastic "pond" for my turtles. Ya know .......those same kind of turtles are $8.00 each now........we paid 5 cents..;-)

Old 10-03-2003, 07:10 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I really miss the Woolworth Stores. I worked at the lunch counter in the Woolworths store in downtown Houston, Texas in 1971. Remember buying candy from the bulk candy counter?

You will be forever missed Breezy...

Love, Your FC Family
Old 11-19-2003, 10:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have asked for the book
"Remembering Woolworth's" for Christmas!
Has anyone have this book or heard of it?

peace,train