Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 06-13-2003, 08:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Help! computer software problem!

I've tried to install a few games for my kids and everything works until it's time to play, then I get an error and I don't know how to fix it. I can't find it on my computer help and I haven't gotten a response from the software company's help line either. So, Help!

This is the error message: Script error: Handler not defined.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'd hate to have to waste software!

Jen

Old 06-13-2003, 12:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
This is just a guess but it sounds like the game isnt compatible with your computer.

We are still running Windows 98 on ours and recently have found out that it is very hard to find games that will run at a decent level on our computer.

Hopefully someone on here has a teenager that will be able to help you! If my DH wasnt sleeping I'd ask him, hes pretty good in that area. Ill check back on you tonight to see if someone has helped.

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-14-2003, 04:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We have Windows XP and there is a Program Compatibility Setting where I can lower the settings to a lower windows setting and color setting. The game installs fine, it just won't run! I'm completely stumped and a little upset that my computer help section didn't help me. Maybe I was asking the wrong thing. I'm still searching though!

Jen

Old 06-18-2003, 12:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

“Script Error: String Expected” or “Script Error: Handler not defined.

This happens when the QuickTime VR Plug-in has not been installed

Certain other components need to be installed to run some games. It's best to get a college kid that knows these games help you.... I couldn't possibly talk you through it....

Some computers are TOO OLD to run the new games..

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 06-18-2003, 03:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Installing computer programs

Jen...I just recently bought a new computer with XP and I would love to know how to get to the Program Compatibility Program you were telling us about . I have always had Windows 98 and I'm finding so many new and different things on the XP program that I don't understand. I am a senior that does not know very much about computers; so, if you can tell me how to find this program, could you please be specific. Thanks for any and all help!

*God will not lead us to it if He cannot lead us through it*
Old 06-18-2003, 05:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My suggestion is if you are not really computer savvy, to not mess with the factory settings.

I have XP and have had no problems....

hapiladi....what is it that you can't use....? *s*

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 06-18-2003, 07:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I was a computer programmer/technician for 10 yrs before I quit to care for my twins 6 yrs ago. A lot has changed in the computer world since then, but I know where the error is occurring. It has something to do with the way the program is written for the game.

Problem is, I'm not sure how to fix it. My suggestion would be to look on the game cd/disk for a "README"-type file. This is usually a text file which can be read by the Windows NOTEPAD or WORDPAD program under accessories (under program files). This file usually contains settings, descriptions and helpful tips for installing and running the game.

If I were to look at it, I might could be of more help...sorry.

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hapiladi

Going to the compatibility program will only help for software that will not run on XP. This usually occurs b/c of color or sound issues. You cannot work in another windows program, and XP is great, except for the older software problems.

Anyway, go to the start button and click on Help/Support. Then click the games option. (Will be with music, etc.) Then click on games again and chose fix problem. There will be a many options to choose from then and pick the getting older games to run on XP. After a few paragraphs, there will be a section that has a link to compatibility. I suggest reading the paragraphs, b/c they are very helpful to fixing most problems. If you know what your older program requires, then you can chose those options and install the software that wasn't working through the compatibility program. Make sure you've uninstalled anything that wasn't working first.

Hope this helps!

Jen