Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 03-11-2003, 05:09 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sayings from your part of the world

What are some things that are said in your part of the world that are hard for others to understand. I am from the PA Dutch country, and there are alot of things that are said here that are so funny.

Like make out with the lights!!!!

I know when I was little and our family went out west the lady at a souvineir(sp) shop asked me if I wanted a sack for that? I was clueless we have always said bag!!!!

Some places strictly call soda....pop.

I think this will be neat, if we really think about it!!!????

Karen
Old 03-11-2003, 07:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Well, Im from Pa. too--the Pittsburgh region--and there are LOTS of different words used around here.

Lets see.....

Jumbo--for bologna

gumband-for rubberband

chipped ham- for shaved or chopped ham ( this drives my Dh nutty)

tagger-for tiger

irun or arn-for iron

yins-for you all or all of you

haus-for house

dahn-for down

pop-for soda or soda pop

A LOT of people say "The road needs plowed" "The yard needs raked" ect.... instead of "the road needs to be plowed"

Im sure there are many more.....maybe KLCRN can help me out here....she from my neck of the woods too!

Im also proud to say that the only thing that I say from the above list is chipped ham and pop.

I knew what a sack was when you mentioned it because my Dad was from West Virginia and thats what he called it too.

There is one more comment often heard around here but I dont really have an explanation for it. You might hear someone ask how another person is doing and their reply will be "Fair to Midland" ( Midland is a town here near us). Just a towny saying I guess??

Cant wait to read more of these!!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-11-2003, 08:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I'm in Missouri and they say "Fair to Midland" around here too, but I don't think there are any towns called Midland in Missouri so I don't know how it came to be here????

Everyone says "Show me" our state nickname is Show me, they say nobody will believe anything in Mo unless you show them.

Hawler = this is a type of yell and is also used to discribe a low place in the land where the fog gathers.

jog = not just an exercise, it is also a split in the road , where the road makes a Y.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:27 PM
Assistant Moderator

Well we just do everything differently here because we can!
Chips are fries
soft drink is your soda
biscuits are your cookies
nappies are daipers
I'll have to have a think on this as I'm sure there are a couple I can come up with.

Old 03-12-2003, 03:03 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

arjsmom

I say the road needs plowed, I did not even realize that is not proper english!!!! Did you grow up in PA? I'm just wondering if that is PA dutch or just PA!!!???

On top of the improper english, I have the dutch accent, I try to hide it, I hate it, then we have this horrible use of words!!!!

Here is one that we always said as kids, and thought everyone knew what it meant, until my sister said it to her boyfriend and he looked at her like she lost it......ooooouuuuuwwwweeeeee

You do that to them when they do something bad, I don't even know how to spell it, every one will be mis-saying it it is kinda like ouwe, just really drawn out!!!!

These are so fun, love hearing them...keep um coming!!!!!

Karen
Old 03-12-2003, 03:30 AM
Assistant Moderator

We used to have what's called rhyming slang, and sometimes the rhyme is longer than the actual word.
Dog and bone ~ telephone
dogs eye ~ meat pie
Captain cook ~ have a look
I'd have to ask my FIL for more those, as his generation had more to do with that. We don't use them very often at all now.
Flatout like a lizard drinking ~ very busy
pulling my leg ~ teasing or making fun of
take a gander ~ take a look
chook ~ chicken
lollies ~ candy
caravan ~ trailer
bloke ~ man
nippers ~ kids
jelly ~ jello
petrol ~ gas
dunny ~ toilet
arvo ~ afternoon
skyte ~ brag
barbie ~ BBQ
lead foot ~ fast driver
a trailer is what you hitch onto the back of your car to carry stuff, usually rubbish.

Last edited by Bilby; 03-12-2003 at 03:46 AM.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:25 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Bilby, I thought take a gander was a dutch term!!!!
We do use the pulling your leg, and lead foot, mean the same thing for me!!!

Here is one, when something is empty, we say- "it is all"....all what???? Or when we are going away and ask someone- "do you want to go with?"

Karen
Old 03-12-2003, 06:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Hi Karen

I went back and read what I wrote about the roads and I shouldve added that I was ( and still sometimes am) guilty of saying that too! My Dh pointed it out to me a long time ago. I didnt see anything wrong with it either, LOL!!

I grew up right here in this region but would LOVE the chance to live in another state....just not in the cards for us right now.

Love this thread!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-12-2003, 06:48 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

ajrsmom
You know I mostly, posted this because I know I am very PA dutch, and that somethings we say just don't make any sense!!!

I am hoping that with us posting all these we will understand everyone a little better, and feel even more comfortable with posting!!!! I am horrible with words to begin with, much less with PA dutch thrown in there. And, in school, they did not correct us, I guess because it is right here in the PA dutch country, they probably figured we would never leave, and no one would ever know the difference.

I am really enjoying the ones from Australia, they are really neat!!!

Maybe I should have labeled it as sayings from your neck of the woods....

Karen
Old 03-12-2003, 07:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I grew up in Missouri too and we always said "Fair to middlin" (as in middle)

We also called soda pop. In Germany don't ask for a soda or you'll get bubbly water. You have to ask for a cola, fanta, etc.

We lived in Alabama for 6 1/2 years and there we picked up the habit of saying "We're fittin (fixing) to" as in go, smack someone, etc

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member