Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 09-11-2002, 08:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

What is the worst gift you ever received?

The worst gift I ever received was a skirt set, it was a brown crushed velvet, with a velvet vest with gold buttons down the front. I absolutely hated it! I was coaxed to put it on...ugh! I looked like a big, brown, wet ,tootsie roll. It was so awful...I never wore that color and why start now????lol

That outfit stayed in my closet for years...way in the back. Then it just disappeared! lol

janet
Old 09-12-2002, 04:38 AM
Nine Year Member

janet

The description you gave of yourself in the outfit had me ROFLOL!!
I must admit I have gotten a few pieces of clothing like that.

However, my worst gift was a Parenting Effectiveness Training Book from my ex-sister-in-law, who DOES NOT have kids.

It was a slap in the face!!!

Lauri
Old 09-12-2002, 04:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Danstigerangel, Looks like you need to pick up a book for her. Maybe a beginers cookbook, How to clean you clutter, How to apply makeup, or a manners book. lol

Sometimes when you return the needling...they think twice about needling you again.

janet
Old 09-12-2002, 05:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

a few years back my in-laws were buying a new car because their old car was constantly breaking down. Well the dealer wouldn't give them anything for the old car as a trade so they acted like they gave us the world and let us have their old car. I did not want the thing so they keep it in there name and insurance and said we could drive it until the tag and insurance came up for renewel, and then if I still didn't want it they would junk it.

Anyway, that car broke down so many times, I would walk to the store rather than drive it. When it came time for the tag to get switched over my in-laws got angry because we still didn't want the car. The car was a piece of junk and they wouldn't drive it but it was ok for their Grandkids to ride in it. Our relationship has never been the same after that. I would have been grateful if the car was dependable and it wasn't forced on me.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:47 PM
Nine Year Member

janet

lol....you are so right on picking up a cook book, declutter book, etc!!!! Perfect for her. However, as I stated, she is now my EX sister in law! lol....

Lauri
Old 09-12-2002, 07:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I have 2 that I can think of......

The first was a Christmas gift from an ex-boyfriend's mother.The lady had horrible taste, always outdated. I was surrounded by my girl friends and ex BF when I opened the gift. I guess the look on my face said it all.....it was a blue & brown floral patterned ( tiny little flowers all over) shirt & matching skirt that was a nylon material. Now, I was 20 at the time so it didnt come close to matching my taste. To go with it, she included a denim sachel bag!

The second was a gift that I received from a aunt of mine for bridal shower for my first wedding......she gave us ONE Bath towel,ONE hand towel & ONE wash cloth! (cheap at that and didnt match my colors after everyone requested that I tell them), That was a constant joke in our family for a long time. I shouldve know then that we were doomed!
Old 09-14-2002, 12:19 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

worst gift ever

My sister-in-law had a yard sale in the summer and sold to her Aunt a little stuffed animal. You guessed it ! Her daughter got that same stuffed animal as her gift for Christmas all wrapped up real pretty.
Old 09-14-2002, 01:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I think I can top this. I was married when I was 18, and maybe people thought that was a mistake. At my wedding reception, I only got 2 gifts from my friends. Nothing from the families on either side. Although some people gave us gifts in the month or so later, it still was terrible painful and I have never forgotten it.
Old 09-14-2002, 01:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi all!

I've had a great time reading all of your posts. What a sense of humor you have!

My worst gift and one which I never wore was a knitted multicolor vest from my m-in-law. There was a stripe in every color imaginable and it had several rows of brown trim all around. Luckily, we lived hundreds miles apart so she never knew that I didn't wear it. After it hung around in my bureau drawer for years, I finally gave it away to Goodwill. I hope someone is enjoying it.

I appeciated the thought and the fact that she spent so much time making it, but it made me look positively "fat" with all those horizontal stripes.

Doris
Old 09-14-2002, 05:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I can really pinpoint which was the worst for me but this was a classic and I will never forget it. My husband got me a George Foreman grill last year for my b-day. Now I know you are asking "what's wrong with that?" #1. I don't grill - I bake. He on the other hand LOVES to grill. #2. Whenever I talked about getting a something new for the kitchen the first word out of my mouth is KitchenAid. I nearly hit him on the head with that thing..... I felt like Wilma Flintstone when Fred got her a bowling ball with FRED etched on it. ....of course I returned that thing. My b-day is next month - hopefully he doesn't screw it up this year.......

If a man says something and no woman hears it....is he still wrong?

Well, nobody's perfect - Osgood E. Fielding III
SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!