Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi again!
Wow! Chadsmom! we have alot in common...so small of a world on here sometimes!
We moved to Washington when I was in Jr.High...then after I graduated a girlfriend and i moved to huntington beach! you can tell when baby woke up...no more caps again!
my fav aunt and uncle lived in loma linda so i visited there alot.
even after we moved to washington, my dad was in the newspaper business so he was offered a position he couldnt refuse, we went back to pomona every year in september for the los angeles county fair in pomona. did you ever go there? it is huge! i am mexican and living in california i was in an aztec/veracruz dance troupe that preform at the mexican village part of the fair, so we came back every year so my sis and i could remain performing with the troupe, plus i had grown up with all of them and missed them lots!
g/f and i moved back to washington after a year of living in huntington beach ....it was kind of our last "sow the oats" before we got married as we were both engaged.
we both worked at the Denny's in Garden Grove about 5 miles to Knotts Berry Farm and Disneyland. I worked at Disneyland when I was 15 in the sleeping beauty castle in the gift shop. That was a blast!

do they still have Zody's?
I havent been that far south in calif for about 20 years now...I have been to Sacramento alot on way to Reno or just to visit relatives there. Actually I have no desire to go to LA area as it is so crowded now. I did take my girls to Disneyland 3 times before I really didnt have any reasons to go there since either my relatives passed away or moved elsewhere!

this is so fun!!!! but i had better go before my limit is up!

anytime is you want to talk about good ole southern california...email me if you would like!

hugs...bowlergrl2000......nancy
[email protected]
Old 12-08-2004, 11:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Remember......................when the electric typewriter was awesome................you knew all your neighbors........milk was delivered to your door in little glass bottles...........your parents fussed when gas was over 79 cents a gallon!!!!

Nancy....good to see you girl! I can just imagine how happy you have been this year being a first time grandma!!! Blessings to you!!!

Nope, Zody's is long gone and I agree with you about LA, I don't like driving down there either unless I absolutely have to!! I survived a year driving the Dallas' freeways though and by comparison, make the LA freeways look tame!! LOL!!!!

hugs,train
Old 03-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Have you taken any of your childhood memories that were good and incorporate them into your adult life?

If not, could you? Or do you wish you had?

Sometimes I think I would be happier if I just remembered what I liked as a kid and added those activities into my life! Well, not literally! I guess I would look pretty silly sitting outside under the pear tree playing Barbies, but you know what I mean...............incorporating more play..............drinking more koolaid and running in the sprinklers! Yea, that would do it!!

hugs,train
Old 03-12-2005, 03:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Trainlady, there is something that my parents used to do when we were young that I do now (weather permitting)... They would pack a "picnic" lunch, basket with the red gingham lining and all. We would have fried chicken, potato salad, chips, fruits, and a big jug of iced tea/koolaid. We never knew exactly where we might end up They would find a nice spot on the oceanfront, sometimes we'd go to the mountains at Big Bear, or a park. Well, we do that now. Only I don't go too far from home. (can't afford to at nearly $2.00 a gal. for gas). We have a lot of places nearby to go. We go to the lake and pack a big cooler (wish I had that basket Mom used to have...) and we let the kids/grandkids play and eat and play some more! When we go to a park they usually will say they are no longer as hungry as they were, LOL! Then when I want to clean up --- then they are starving... It's relaxing to me and the kids have fun too!

Unknown
Old 03-12-2005, 12:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

GREAT Question Donna, I dont think Ive ever stopped incorporating "childlike things in my life, when you walk into our home you feel like you are in Teddybear land, lol,you just have to smile, I never really thought of it that way, but its true. My 2 GD's LOVE to stay here,and dh is just a kid at heart anyhow, all the time, he still plays nintendo sometimes, and if we are in a store and there are toys around I always know where to look for him, just follow the sound of the toy he has turned on or squeezed the button to make it sing!!!We were in Walmart this morning and I was looking at cards and 2 rows over was the easter things and all of a sudden I hear "singing rabbitts, and knew right where he was

Hugs Sandie
Old 03-15-2005, 04:55 AM
Nine Year Member

Train, you really brought back memories. The milk man! I remember we had this graysih metal box on the porch that the milk man put the milk in. I remember getting a Smith & Corona electric typewriter for Christmas. I thought that was the best.
I remember walking to the little store on the corner for my mom to pick up a gallon fo milk. She'd give me a dollar, and I got a dime back in change.

I alsos remeber all the neighborhood kids all getting together and playing games outside in the summer. Tag, red rover, etc.

I just love this thread!

Lauri

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 03-15-2005, 10:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Yes! that is the best memories.......playing games outside with neighborhood kids....on a sunny summer day/early evening.
That doesnt seem to happen too much anymore with kids now a days....some hardly even know their neighbors! A lot of them even go to different schools when they live right next door!

I grew up in small town....so it was easier I suppose.........but I wish my kids would have had those memories...but they dont.
They have their own memories though....but not quite the same as being able just to "wander" around the neighborhood looking for who was outside! Now they Cant "wander" away from parents eyes. Thats soooooooooo sad!!!

Thanks Train, for making memories come back!
Nancy(bowlergrl2000)
Old 03-16-2005, 01:13 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by bowlergrl2000
I can remember every detail around that as far as my sis being 3 pounds when born and having to be in an incubator for a month and me keep asking when she can come home.
Boy howdy I guess it's been awhile since I've been in this thread. Bowlergrl are you sure you wern't at my house??? I too had a baby sis that weight 3 pounds and was in an incubator for a month and I could not wait to play with her. Mom says I used to try to dress her in my dolls clothes, which fit her. At 5'7 she grew up to be the runt of the litter as I am 5'10" and my other two sisters are 5'11" and 6'.

I went to college in La Mirada so we were at the Knotts chicken shack for dinner most weekends lol I always thought it would be fun to work there or Disneyland.

As for childhood things I have incorporated into my adult life and passed on to my kids .... I find it hard to think of much. Although last summer I talked my son & his friends into playing hide & go seek in the neighborhood just like we used to. It was great to get them away from the playstation at least for a little while. It's so different for kids in the North East vs the South West that the things I enjoyed are not really feasable or safe here in NYC. Even at 13 my son is not allowed to stay outside after dark which was our favorite time to play lol. It was nothing in my neighborhood to hear a mom or dad step out onto the front porch and yell or wistle for a child to come home at 9 pm in the summer time. Now you just call the child on their cell phone ......

"Not what we gain, but what we give....measures the worth of the life we live."
http://www.jsantiago.greatesthomebusiness.com
http://saferforyourhome.com

Last edited by Nchilada5; 03-16-2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Nchilada5!.........Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!! The Chicken Shack!!! Yummers yummers!!! Is it still there? I gather you live in New York now? If so...what brought you all the way over there!! How diff is that from the west Coast!! I have never been there but my hubby for the first time was there in Delaware last year at this time for 4 months working there. I had just bought my plane ticket to go there and visit for 2 weeks when he called 2 days before I was to leave to say he was coming home!! So I didnt make it there...but in 2007 we are going to North Carolina for a bowling tournament and to visit my oldest brother that lives there now. Cant wait!! Talk about planning ahead!
I still buy Knotts berry farm jam here!! Do you remember the "real" Knotts? when it didnt have all the new fangled rides and such? The Gold panning? The real stagecoaches that you could ride? I miss the Old Knotts!! Its too Amusement Park type now...just like any other Theme park now...its lost its originality!

Now...I am assuming....from your screen name....that you might be Hispanic? If so....then are we related!!! I am Mexican from the word GO!!! Both my parents are(were...both deceased now) 100 percent blood Mexis!
You would never know I am by looking at me....I think I have conformed into a Washingtonian from all the rain wiped my Hispanic looks away! But once I say I am mexican...then people will say.....yes! I can see it now!
My hubby thought I was French when we met...but hes a Canadian so he was used to looking at French women more than Hispanics.

Just a moment before I read your post....I was just getting off of here to make hubby and I a Taco!! Too funny! I make Mexi alot and I was just pouting cuz I didnt have any left over enchiladas from the other night to munch on! Darn!...But a taco will do for now!

Great to see your post! Give me a mail if you have time and we can rememince about the good ole California days!

Take care!
[email protected]

PS...BTW...we would make a funny looking Mutt and Jeff cuz I am 5ft 1"!!! LOL!!

When was your sis born? my sis was born in 1961....those were the times when the new mommies HAD to stay in hosp for at least 5 to 7 days weather they felt good or not!
Old 03-16-2005, 02:04 PM
Nine Year Member

bowlergrl----How about that! 5-7 day stay in the hospital for the new mommies. I don't think I was in for two hole days. I remember my mom being gone a LONG time when she had my brother.

My ds and his friends play there version of hide and seek. They call it man hunt and play it in the dark with flashlites. LOL

Nchilada----I remember the neighborhood parents yellling outside for their kids. And I know, I just call a cell phone.

I'm sure I posted this way, way back, but we told time by the bells on the clock at the college. They were heard all through out town. No excuses for us not to be home on time. LOL

It's a shame things have changed so much. We would be out and about all day, and mom had no worries about the craziness that goes on now.

Well, I can go on and on!

Lauri

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills