Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Chads MOM

Are you a Gramma yet? Ive been one for 8 yrs. but I consider myself a "Young" Gramma, LOL.My DD will be 28 on Dec. 27th.
I dont feel that old, but I dont know how Im gonna feel when its the big 50!!DH said he is planning a BIG party but im not too sure I want it.I never thought of looking at Ebay for the Go to the Head of the Class game, I thought I would look in Walmart or Toys are Us first. Does anyone remember the Child World Stores that were popular before Toys R Us came out. Is there any of those stores around?? I liked them better than Toys R Us.Why do all the good stores have to go out?? We also used to have a store called W.T. Grants, that were similar to Woolworth, anyone remember them??

Sandie
We all need a little tender luvin BEAR!!!!
Old 11-04-2004, 08:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I remember W.T.Grant here where I live, well it's been about 23 years but it was in a big city about 60 miles from where I live now. It was very similar to Woolworth's. And I have 7 grandchildren, Sandie. The oldest being 11. So I too was a young Grandma at 37. Now I am "Grandma" age and at times feel that way, LOL! My DD who's birthday is today is due to have a baby Dec.13 (her 4th boy...). My oldest DGD is 11 and my youngest child is 10!!! I actually thought it would've never happened to me, but I guess that is what keeps us young. I can't remember Child World stores, maybe they just didn't have them where I lived...

Unknown
Old 11-04-2004, 08:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Chads Mom

Congratulations on your upcoming GS, so that will make 8?!My DD says 2 is enough but you never know!!!LOLYes I agree thats what keeps you young, Im exhausted after a weekend or just a night of having them over,LOL. Its so good to know you can give them back though,after spoiling them! LOL One thing I always tell my DD is to cherish the times with them, cuz it goes by sooo fast and you can never get that back. We didnt have video cameras back when my DD was little, at least we always have that out for the GK's.

Sandie

We all need a little tender luvin BEAR!!!!
Old 11-06-2004, 05:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi CHADSMOM...Where you referring to "56 Baby" as being born in 1956? If so...so was I....9/11/56....nice day to have a b-day now...NOT! But the only good thing that came out of that disaster was that my DH actually remembers my b-day now! He was always very close...either the 10th ot the 12th...but he could never get the 11th! Now he has no prob remembering!

Woolworths brought up another memory as in my little seashore town that I was brought up in didnt have a Woolworth's(one was in next city about 50 miles away though so I did know of them),

What about "KRESS"! Im sure Trainlady knows of that store but were they in other states too? When someone mentioned the snack bar in WW's...that triggered my memory! They did have the best, greasiest hamburgers and the milkshakes to die for! Why cant they make hamburgers like that anymore...they were very simple...just the bun, meat, and their "special sauce"! Yummmms!

I would love to go back in time to those years...a few things I would change, but most I would just leave plain alone!

Im sure I have mentioned on here, not quite sure which board it was for sure right now....I just had surgery again this past Thursday so I am still a bit rummy and this is first time I have sat up since then! So memory is a bit frazzled yet. To Sandieluvsbears....I was 47 when I was blessed with my first Grandchild this past July. Daughter was 26 when she delivered so I am proud of her for waiting til I was the "grandma" age too! But DH has 9 grandkids so I have been called grandma since I was 35 so its not a big shock to me in a way! LOL!!
He, the grandson Ryan, is the Love of my life, and now I am saying...Why did you wait so long! Grandmas! Cant make up their minds! But we have that right just like when they have a messy diaper we have that right to give them right back to mommy or daddy! I think that is a very good idea! LOL!
I do watch him on Mondays and Fridays and actually drive an hour at 500am to get that pleasure! As I told Ryan hes the only one I would get up at 400am and drive an hour for!
But it way more than worth it.....I want him to know and love his granny as much as I loved mine.

Ok...enough of the sappy stuff...I am heading back to bed to get horizontal!

hugs...bowlergrl2000(or you can call me "ramblinggrl...I do tend to Ramble if you cant tell by now!!)
Old 11-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Quote:
What about "KRESS"! Im sure Trainlady knows of that store but were they in other states too?
We had Kressge's in Ohio...maybe a younger version of that store?

Old 11-08-2004, 06:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Yes, I was born in 1956 bowlergrl2000. No, you're right not a great day for a birthday. I remember getting a lot of combo b/d card-Christmas cards, and gifts the same way. Of course as a kid I kind of took it to heart, LOL! But now materialistic things don't get in my way. And Kress you talked about... I can remember my grandma in Calif. going to a Kress store, but I can't place ever going myself... Knowing Grandma though, it was probably similar to Woolworths! I was a Grandma at a young age! I didn't mind as I could bring myself to their levels- now as I am older I guess I am just a little more strict with them than I was back then... They are all just priceless! And the store you spoke of bettdev probably was a sister store to Kress's. It's been so many years since I've heard the name mentioned that I'm not sure if they are still existant...

Unknown
Old 11-08-2004, 07:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Someone mentioned Kressgees, I remember that store it was similar to Woolworth, but a little larger if I remember correctly. I distinctly remember going in there with my GM and picking out cookies, you picked your own mix of cookies and put them in a bag and they got weighed. Wow that brings back alot of memories, I also remember my GM buying patterns and material there.I dont remember going with my parents to the place it must have been one of the places GM liked to go to, back then way back in the early 60's, LOL.There was an ice cream place near there too, but I cant remember the name of it,its funny how all of a sudden the name of a certain store will trigger all those fun childhood memories.

Sandie

We all need a little tenderluvin bear!!
Old 11-08-2004, 07:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sandie, I just love memories... The only ice cream store I can remember is 31 Flavors, every Friday my Mom would take us 5 kids after supper to get our favorite ice cream cones! Yummy!

Unknown
Old 11-08-2004, 11:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Yes...Kress was pretty much a smaller Woolworths.
It was the only store like that there where we lived.

are you from California Chadsmom? I am from Pomona originally. we used to shop at Zody's department store for school clothes. Then it was kind of like a cheaper Mervyns....or better yet...a glorified k-mart. excuse me for no more capital letters but i am watching my dear little man, grandson ryan....and i just found out you cannot type 2-handed with 3 month old on your lap squiggling around!

im sure all kress stores are gone now...been a long time since i have even thought of it.

well gotta go...this is not working good at all trying to feed him and type!

hugs...bowlergrl2000
Old 11-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

bowlergrl2000, yes I was born in Loma Linda, Calif. and as kids moved to Orange Co.. I went to schools in Newport Beach where we lived until I was in the 8th grade, then moved to Huntington Beach where I finished up. At age 19 I moved to the East coast, got married, and planted myself! The only thing about life there I truly miss is the WEATHER!! However I too love the distinct seasons here. I've been to Pomoma quite a few times. My father lived in West Covina for years and is buried in Covina Hills. And Zody's and Mervyn's... Gee you are bringing back all kinds of memories... Mom used to get us school clothes there!There was also another store that sold all girls clothes, and shoes and she would always take us ther and we'd pick out several of our own outfits- I'm going to ask Mom what it was called, then I'll post when I find out- you will probably remember it also! I know how it is feeding a tiny one and typing, LOL! They don't go together real well sometimes!!! It's so good to have someone to talk to my age and about the "olden days" my kids say... Hmmm..... It was a fun time in my life!

Unknown