Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

jigglypuff377- like you I remember something similar at Halloween... but that was the only time, BUT do remember so well,danstigerangel the game "Go to the Head of the Class"!! We would play hour after hour! Also "Life". I plan on getting my child Life and Operation this Christmas as these are about the only CLASSICS(of the board games) that he doesn't have...

Unknown
Old 10-25-2004, 07:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Of all the wonderful childhood memories I have, you know, I had never played "Life" until last week when my nieces taught me how!!!

hugs,train
Old 10-25-2004, 09:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Wow! I had tons of childhood memories today! I was doing my Monday babysit of my darling, sweet, precious new grandbaby, and all of sudden alot of memories came flying back for some reason. For one...my mom just past away not too long ago and she never got to meet her special Great-grandson. That is so sad. But my daughter and I got talking about myself being born and what moms in the 50's went through as far as labor...for one...all alone! Dads were not allowed in the labor/birthing room. Can you just imagine that! Not having the daddy there to witness his son/daughter entering this world. Plus it was a very cold, cold world in those hospitals then too...not alot of personal caring as there is now.
So the memories that were brought back when talking about my moms laborwas that when my sis and bro were born. I can remember every detail around that as far as my sis being 3 pounds when born and having to be in an incubator for a month and me keep asking when she can come home. And with my bro...my sis and I in the waiting room waiting to be told what my our new sibling was...of course we wanted another sister! But some how, everyone forgot that my sis and I were in the waiting room and no one told us that he was born like 3 hours ago! I remember going out in the hall trying to find my dad somewhere and I did...he was so shocked that no one came in and told us that the baby was born and it was a boy! My sis and I actually cried! LOL! We really wanted a girl! But in time we got over it and hes "Ok"!

So anyways...Thats my childhood memory of the day!
Hugs....bowlergrl2000
Old 10-30-2004, 07:49 PM
Assistant Moderator

also you stood in the hospital alot longer no matter what kind of surgery you had... things are get you in on the day of surgery, and a few days later get you out..

I'm sorry for your mom's lost.. my mother passed away when my oldest granddaughter was only a few months old.. and I miss talking to her about things.

used to be 5 and 10 cent stores but now they are the dollar stores. LOL
Old 11-01-2004, 12:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi bar_bar! Yes! about staying so much longer in thehosp then....new moms had to stay for like 5 or more days when they gave birth! That was a given! Now, with my 2nd daughter I was at the Mall within less than 24 hours after giving birth!
I didnt have anything out for her! I procrastinated long enough that she came faster than I thought so mom-in-law and I went to mall to Pennys to grab a few things....like clothing? LOL!
Nothing was set up...no crib....no bassinet...she slept with us or on a "bean bag chair" til we got around to getting it done! I had all the stuff but it was in storage at that time...she was early...but not 9 months early! I had plenty of time to get it done...but not Miss Procrastinator me! I think it was a thing in my mind that I would never go through labor again so just pretending that she would just wait until I was ready...HA! And to this day...that girl is the MOST impatient person I have ever met! Gee...I wonder where that came from! Shes paying me back now...but she is also 24 years old and is still my Baby and always will be but she has competition now since her sis had my Darling grandbaby.

Im a rambling so I had better go before I continue!

Cheers!! and Happy Halloween!
Bowlergrl2000
Old 11-01-2004, 01:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Go to the head of the class!!!Wow , that really brings back memories,my DB and I played that all the time! I had forgotten all about it. Is it still available? Ill have to check, I know my 2 GD's dont have that one!!! Yes, when my DD was born 28 yrs ago on Dec.27, I was in the hospital until Dec31st!!!Now when my last GD was born, my DD was home the next morning!! I dont think its a good thing either, because you really need some rest and we all know when you get home with the phone ringing and the people wanting to stop by etc. you just cant get the rest you need.
Bar_bar, yes the 5 and 10 cent stores, now they were fun!!!I remember the Woolworth stores I dont know if they were all around the country or not, but when my DD was about 4 she used to go to the back of the store and look at the birds,and one day while in there all of a sudden there were birds flying around the store!! Yes, you guessed it she had opened the cagesLOL!!!
She remembers that to this day.
Sandie

We all need a little tenderluvin BEAR!!!!
Old 11-02-2004, 07:34 PM
Assistant Moderator

OH I remember the good ole Woolworth stores ....

and we still have some of them around in our area...

as a young girl I can also remember winter meant winter and summer meant summer, and now you can't tell the season apart.

I also remember using our imagation to play make believe, now there is so many things out there that kids don't know how to make believe.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Oh Yes! Even clear up in the corner here in Washington we had Woolworths....just a mere 4 years ago our last one just closed down in Lacey...Trainlady......member that one by any chance if you were here shopping in dear Lacey? It was at our small mall there.

My girls are really into board games at 24 and 26 yrs of age....and their fav one? "LIFE"!

We are getting a "Dollar Tree" store here right down the street from me on the 15th of Nov it opens....its our first one and I am way too excited! Just in time for Christmas! Not that I buy all my Christmas presents there...but I have a lot of bowling Xmas parties I have to take care of &...my fav thing to buy there at those stores are cookie plates of any sort to put home made cookies on to give away.....What a bargin!

Sandieluvsbears...I remember the birds in the "back" of the store! That brought a BIG memory back! Even with the one that just closed...they had birds...and when I went in there...I was flooded with those memories of me being young and wanting to see the Birds!

I do too remember palying Tag, hide & seek, etc in the almost dark time when young with no worries about being kidnapped or being exposed to by sick people like in today's world that we have to watch out for with young children.

Isnt that so sad that you have to watch them every single second now and they have no freedom to play like we did.

Bar_bar...Thank you for the nice thought about my mom. Its really hard when you see your baby and think about her...I know I do alot when I watch my darling baby and know how proud she would have been...but I know she knows that she has a great-grandbaby and has a BIG smile on her face. I never ever thought I would be a grandma let alone my mom being a great grandma...what a feeling that must be cuz Im just elated being a first time grandma! I didnt think I would feel the way I do...for some reason those grandbabies are very very special. Must be cuz you always think of your child being "the baby" and unreal that they actually have a baby of their own!
Amazing feeling! I look at him and have to keep reminding myself that he is also a part of me and that is so unreal!

Dont you all wish we could go back in time just for a bit to relive some part of the memories we may have forgotten about?
They were such good times and we didnt even realize it then!

Hugs Bowlergrl2000
Old 11-04-2004, 07:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oh, I envy you all that still have Woolworths around!!!The last one closed around 8 yrs ago. Bowlergrl, you'll enjoy the Dollar Tree stores, I was very surprised at some of the quality of the things you can get for only $1!!!!!The little things like tissue paper and wrapping paper, cards 2/$1.00,the things that add up, you can find there and one of my favorites is the Large paper Gift bags that you pay so much for elsewhere, are only $!> I just stocked up on them for Xmas.
I guess it just goes to show, sometimes you dont appreciate things until they are gone,but the memories of the Woolworth lunch counter(even when I was in high school I remember it) those are great memories. I can taste the hot dog and rootbeer floats I always used to get!!My GD's got a huge laugh about the story of my DD(their mom) letting all the birds loose in Woolworth!Of course their first ? was, what is a Woolworth? LOL
Sandie
We all need a little tenderluvin BEAR!!!!
Old 11-04-2004, 08:10 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sandie, I was reading your post and remember the things about Woolworth's that you were talking about... My dear grandma used to always take us there to eat, and I can remember hearing the birds chirping as we came in the front door, but they were in the back of the store too! This store was located in San Bernardino, Calif. I don't even know if there are any of them there any longer. And I wonder about Go to the head of the class game also... Ebay would probably have one... I may check into it myself- that was another fun one for us!! By the way, I just noticed that you and I are ALMOST 3 months apart in age- I forgot to put my birth year on the birthday card exchange... but I was a 56 baby too, Dec.24th. And today is my firstborn dd's birthday, the big 30!!! Gee, it doesn't seem like it's been that many years... Or I should say that I am that OLD!! LOL!!

Unknown