Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.25 average.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Im a James Patterson fan, cant think of a book I havent liked by him. I just finished reading Big Bad Wolf and I reccomend it ,I actually finished it in 2 nights because it held my attention that much.
Here is a synopsis of it:
For all you readers who want an action-packed, page-turning mystery, James Patterson's The Big Bad Wolf is a great choice. Many of you have read his series of books featuring Alex Cross and his friend Sampson, both of whom are police detectives in Washington, D.C. Again, this book also includes Alex's family: three children and his grandmother, all of whom live together. Christine Johnson, ex-fiancé, returns to Washington, D. C.; however, her return is hurtful to the family.

The Big Bad Wolf with Alex in training with the FBI, having left the police department. The FBI receives a case of kidnapping, but the kidnappers never ask for ransom. Nor are their victims ever heard from again. Both men and woman all over the United States begin disappearing completely and these kidnappings are happening in broad daylight! Thus, the FBI, Alex, and the reader are slowly introduced to a new player: a shadowy figure whose identity is illusive. A new terror is brought to organized crime as Alex begins to uncover these multiple kidnappings: the victims are being sold as slaves.

Alex grows impatient with the FBI even though he admires their vast resources. A lone wolf himself, Alex goes it alone with the help of Sampson to track "the Wolf" and, hopefully, rescue the victims while still alive. Help is given by a kidnapped woman who escapes and provides information. But "the Wolf" is very cagey and intelligent and does not let his guard down. Of course, Alex also runs into trouble with the FBI as he "bucks the system."

I enjoyed the book. It is an easy read and kept me interested thru out.

Hugs Sandie
Old 02-01-2005, 07:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Just finished "The Codex" by Douglas Preston and now have started "Cabinet of Curiosities", by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Childs. Mystery with an archealogical background. Very good, very detailed description. The Codex was a bit graphic in parts in description, doesn't bother me, but might some other readers.
Good reads. This piles of books are huge and hopefully I will read most of them this year!

Lizajane
Old 02-01-2005, 08:40 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Right now I am reading Johanna Lindsey's "All I Need is You", so far so good. Yesterday read Return Engagement, I did not think it was worth a second read. Does everyone keep books after they have read them? I only keep the books I really enjoy. There are certain authors that I have all their books. (Sandra Brown, Suzanne Brockmann, Linda Howard, Cherry Adair)

Melly
Old 02-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I keep certain books, for example all my teddy bear reference books,lol, all the nonfiction unless its not very good and almost NEVER keep paperbacks as a hobby dh sets up at a flea market in the warmer weather and sells knives and swords,and I will usually put out a box of paperbacks and get 50 cents apiece for them.Most of my fiction books I get thru Doubleday and usually lend them to dd and never get them back anyhow,lol.
Our grocery store just started a book table at the front of the store and people leave unwanted books there and you can look thru them and take whatever you want and just put whatever you can afford into a box that goes to different charities. Last week they were raising money for an animal shelter that had a fire. Thats where I found the Big Bad Wolf book by James Patterson and I just put adollar bill in the box,(it was that or a 20 lol)I have a few boks I will drop off there this week(Readers Digest short story books) and a few others.

Hugs Sandie
Old 02-01-2005, 09:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Very rarely do I keep a book I have read. i usually donate mine to the library if they all ready have it then they offer it 3 of the other small community libraries we have or they put in the used book sale . The money made goes to buy newer items for the libraries.

Hugs
Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 02-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am now reading Citizen Girl, it is by the same authors as The Nanny Diaries. It is a very strange read, has anyone else read it?
Old 02-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Yes, I did read that one. At about the same time I read a very similar book by a different author, called "The Devil Wears Prada."
They were supposed to be funny (and I guess they were, in a sarcastic, dark sort of way) but I found them kind of depressing. And I usually LIKE that dark kind of humor.
I guess I just don't like reading or hearing about people being treated badly. I didn't care for "The Nanny Diaries" either--felt SO sorry for those children!
Old 02-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

This article was on todays New York Times Best Seller web site today. Just thought Id pass it along

Hugs Sandie

J. K. Rowling Warns Fans
By THE NEW YORK TIMES

Published: February 3, 2005

. K. Rowling, author of the Harry Potter adventures, has warned fans of the boy wizard to beware of an Internet scheme intended to separate them from their identities, Reuters reported. In an incident of so-called phishing, Potter devotees were asked to surrender bank and credit card information to pay for an electronic copy of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," above, scheduled for publication on July 16. She said, "Please, please protect yourselves, your computers and your credit cards and do not fall for these scams." Neil Blair, Ms. Rowling’s copyright lawyer, pointed out that she had never granted licenses for electronic versions of her books.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:00 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

sandie,

Wow!! I would have probably fallen for that, thank goodness that I made a deal with my DH that we would not give out our credit card numbers.

Melly
Old 02-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am reading "Echoes" by Danielle Steel, it is set during WWI, so far it is good. I really enjoy books that have to do with history, even if the are fictional as long as it relates to something that really did happen in history. I like Nicholas Sparks also, his books
A bend in the road & the rescuer were great! Danielle Steel's No greater love was great too, it was about a families trip on the Titanic!! I also like to read books that were written back in the 1800's in the old english language, those are wonderful!! But then again sometimes I just like to read something that has nothing to think about at all, just get lost in fantasy!

Closed Thread