What Book Are You Reading Right Now?

You're on Page 5 of 149
Go to
  • Jodi Picoult
    i just finished reading "Salem Falls" and "Plain Truth" by Jodi Picoult. Anyone else read any of her books? I am a real fan after reading these novels. Now I want to get all the other books she's written. I think her style is unique: part romance, part courtroom thriller, and part social commentary.

Salem Falls is about a man falsely accused of sexual assault and also about teenagers practicing witchcraft. Plain Truth is about a young Amish girl accused of murdering her baby. The author gives such a fantastic detailed description of Amish life that I felt like I learned a lot about the Amish as well as court room procedures.

I found myself getting so involved with the characters that I would be thinking about it when I would wake up! I just couldn't put these books down. I would highly recommed both books!

Also, the author heas her own website: www.jodipicoult.com
    The author will answer questions about her books and gives a lot of extra information about them as well. I sure have become a real fan.
  • Sunshine-
    I've never read Jodi Picoult. She sounds like an interesting read. I'll look for her when I go to the library tonight.

I just finished re reading Little Women. Just makes me smile.

Sharon
  • jodi picault
    i have read all of her books, although there are not a great many. she has recently re-released one of her first books as she becomes more popular. if you can read them in the order she wrote them, you can see how she develops to become such an intuitive women's writer.

there are two other women writers that i have found of her calibre. the first, who is basically my favourite, is maeve binchy. her books are set in the UK in current time and show remarkable yet everyday women dealing with life's turmoils in the most remarkably ordinary fashions...the situations, the relationships are emotionally insightful and so easily identified with.

the other writer is marge piercy. she has been writing for a long time and her books can come in variety of shapes, so to speak, as she has experimented in her writing style. she has written two wonderful ones on mother/ daughter/grandmother relationships that cover different time spans for all age readers

and as with picoult, there is social and situational commentary so the pleasure of reading is compounded by new knowledge and innovative analysis.

hmmm...didn't mean to sound like an english prof, but i really believe these kind of contemporary writers give a more valid expression of life than the term 'novel' conveys. i think they border on 'literature' and may one day be recognised as such.

i just finished reading a thriller set in contemporary palestine and eastern europe. the book was actually lousy in terms of plot but the writer knew his history so i learned a few things that i had not understood before.

there's a stack of books from the library by my chair and i don't know what i'll be in the mood to read tomorrow.

carol
  • HI! everyone.

I have been working on reading A Garden to Keep by Jamie Langston Turner. It is very good but one of the hardest books I have ever read. Her writing style is so different. I don't know if it is just this book because the main character is supposed to be writing this book as she examines her marriage and tries to figure out how to put her life back together after she finds out that her husband is having an affair. I don't think I have ever had a book that I was seriously reading take over 2 weeks to read. It isn't a long book only 400+ pages. I am enjoying it most of the time. She does a lot of soul schearching.

I am also so reading A Walk to Remeber and a couple others that I pick up when I have just a couple minutes to read.

All the books everyone is sharing sound like such good books. I think I need to take a vacation somewhere that has a huge porch where I could set and read all day. I wouldn't need to do anything except read. Wouldn't that be a great vacation sometime???

• I have just finished The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. This was a wonderful read, I must say it is my favorite by far!!!! If you have never read one of his books, do it soon! I also read A Bend In the Road, and A Walk to Remember by him, Very good too.

I also read When I Fall In Love by Iris Rainer Dart, I enjoyed it very much. She also wrote Beaches.

I am a big Mary Higgins Clark and Nora Roberts fan. I enjoy anything they write! They are kind of the same type of writer, so I think if you enjoy one you will enjoy the other.

I plan on reading The Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans soon. My Daughter-in-Law tells me it is one of the best she has read, she feels the same way about The Notebook.

• Hi,

Just got A WALK TO REMEMBER, but haven't had the chance to read it yet.

Anyone who likes mysteries my try any book written my Martha Grimes. She writes about Pubs. She is a lot like Agatha Christie, only a little more mordern.

Linda121345
  • Right now, I am reading the last chapters of the book"Pegasus in Space" It's a pretty good book for those who like to read a little science fiction for a change.
  • Hi, I just finished Bittersweet Rain by Sandra Brown. It was good. Now I am reading Three Fates by Nora Roberts, so far so good.

What are some of the worst books youv'e read? Mine has to be "The Klone and I" by Danielle Steel.
  • Mrs. Bookworm... I could not get into THE KLONE and I either. I have enjoyed most of Danielle Steele's books, but there have been a few I did not care much for. I am into Mary Higgins Clark right now. I like "light mysteries" not the deep gory kind, that give me nightmares.

There is another new author I found recently, and really enjoy her books, but can't remember her name off the top of my hat. I always have my nose in a book, but can only read one at a time. I don't know these gals read more than one books at a time. I would have the storys all mixed up.
  • Quote:
    Originally posted by CAFE
    Mrs. Bookworm... I could not get into THE KLONE and I either. I have enjoyed most of Danielle Steele's books, but there have been a few I did not care much for. I am into Mary Higgins Clark right now. I like "light mysteries" not the deep gory kind, that give me nightmares.

There is another new author I found recently, and really enjoy her books, but can't remember her name off the top of my hat. I always have my nose in a book, but can only read one at a time. I don't know these gals read more than one books at a time. I would have the storys all mixed up.