Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 06-23-2015, 09:37 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Q&A, Tuesday, June 23/2015

This one goes out to those of us who babysat when we were younger.

• How old were you when you started babysitting?
  • What era were you doing babysitting? i.e. The 1970's, 1980's, etc.
  • What were you paid per hour?
  • Did you have to prepare homemade baby formula/baby food?
  • Was it cloth diapers or disposables?
  • Did you have to clean the house?
  • How many kids were you normally in charge of?
  • What is the most kids you ever had under your wing at any given time?
  • What did you do more of, daytime babysitting or evening babysitting?
  • Did you ever put in overnight stays where you were sitting?
  • Did you ever babysit for a family with more than one child in diapers?
  • How did you obtain your babysitting experience? i.e. Babysitting course, learning at home with siblings, etc.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:33 PM
Assistant Moderator

I was 14 when I started babysitting which was in the 70's. My pay depended on the family and number of children so could be from .50 cents an hour to 1.25 an hour. I didn't have infants too often, mostly toddlers or older children. When I did have a baby, the baby food was provided and most families used disposable diapers. I never had to clean the house but made sure I kept it looking neat (did dishes from the children's snacks, picked up toys etc.) I babysat anywhere form 1 child to a family of 5 children. (the family of 5 boys was wild and paid the worst!) The majority of my babysitting was evenings but when I was 16 I got a regular Saturday job for one baby during the day so the parents could do yard work or go out. There was one family where I did overnights for 2 children - the mom was single and would go out on a date but get home late so it was easier for me to stay over. I never had any training for babysitting, just seemed to figure it out and most of it was common sense. Most parents would fill me in on rules for the kids and where things were etc. Funny but after college, I got married and ended up working as a nanny for 3 years, doing home daycare for 26 years and now work as a teacher in a learning center. (plus raise 3 children of my own!) Never thought as a teen this is what I would do with my life but I sure do love it.

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 11-29-2015, 06:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I started sitting when I was 15, most
children I had was 4 first job was after school.
Still in contact with one of those children via
snail and Facebook. It was 50 cents an
hour that is all I charged regardless of
how many children whether babies or older.
Unless I sat after midnite then it was 75 cents
once in awhile I did over nites. I continued
to baby sit even after I had my own children.
Quit in mid '87 when I remarried.
Always cloth diapers, and jarred babyfood.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:21 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Started babysitting (officially) when I turned age 10-11 (early 1970's). Babysat two baby cousins with my older sister beforehand. Babysat through the 70's, all through the 80's, and right up to an including 1991, at which time I quit to start raising babies of my own, though I still babysat for family and friends.

Standard going babysitting rate in my day was .50 cents an hour. By the mid 80's, $1.00 wasn't unheard of, however, I do remember earning a flat-rate of $5 for a typical Saturday night at most homes.

Preparing homemade baby food, homemade baby formula, and cleaning/tidying-up (when/where needed) was all in a day's/nights work when I babysat... as was changing safety-pinned cloth diapers and rubber pants. Pampers were a rarity, though I do remember changing plastic diapers occasionally.

Being in charge of two to three little ones was common, however, I babysat for one mom who had five kids, three in diapers! Yes, I spanked!

Babysat both during the day and night... though evenings seemed to be what I did most... did overnight stays when required. Washed laundry, diapers, and cooked meals when staying the night.

Babysitting for families with more than one child wearing diapers was more common than babysitting for a family with just one child wearing diapers. I always seemed to land babysitting jobs at homes where two (or more) were in diapers.

Earned my babysitting experience helping care for baby siblings and baby cousins, kids I babysat in my teens, and nieces and nephews. Learned a ton from watching my mom at work and helping her.

P.S. No pin-pricks to mention in all the years I babysat and changed cloth diapers! My own children included.