Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sounds like everyone is having a great start to the month..lets hope it continues that way.
Ryan came home Sat and we took him to the city to buy new school clothes and supplies.....now that is all done....Got groceries today ...had to stock up on lunch stuff. Ryan had a great time on his trip...he biked 120 km last wed...and it was one of our hottest days.....I can not believe all the amazing things he got to do this summer.....now we are on the countdown for his trip overseas....he leaves oct 29 to Paris and then onto Belgium. 11 days total. I have my first of 2 curling registration nights this week.....hopefully we get a good turnout.

Ellen no olympic curling but there are lots of bonspiels that are televised that we watch..curling is a very big sport in Canada. And then there are the worlds.

I had an interview today...twins...11 months old...they start Tuesday morning..Yikes am I crazy!!! Cute as buttons though......

hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 09-06-2010, 03:43 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Laura that is terrible about the drug cartels. Our country needs to do more to keep them out.

Barbsky Tara played ultimate frisbee last year on a girls team. We went out to see one of the tournaments. It is really neat. Glad you ds is keeping busy. I think that is the key to college. I know some kids can get into to much activities. But I think all kids need something besides school to get to know people and have fun.

Steph has xc practice for 2 hours. No other plans for today.

Charlotte
Old 09-06-2010, 04:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ellen ---Farrowing is when the sow has baby pigs. Those records start when the sow is bred, then when she farrows(approx 115 days later) thru when she weans the pigs (approx 4 to 6 weeks after birth).
My new records that I am beginning to take over will begin when the baby pigs leave the farrowing unit and move to the nursery. I will do Nursery close outs which account for all of the expense that it takes to grow a pig from nursery (appox. 15lbs) to feeder pig weight(approx40 lb). Once the pigs has reached feeder pig weight they are moved to the Finisher until they are market weight and a close out is done on the phase too. There is a lot of record keeping and reports generated throughout the whole process.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Nine Year Member

Charlotte, 45 miles! I only trained about 30 to 35 miles a week when I ran the marathon. I agree that it is difficult to get to know others outside of school. I like the programs that match older with younger age groups so that the school age kids aren’t always socializing with just their peers. The year that my daughter homeschooled and she followed me everywhere in town, she really developed a sense of how the world works and how to get along in it.
<o:p></o:p>
Barbszy, wow, how did I get so far behind? Your son is in college??? Where did he go? Where does the time go?! The girls of mine still come home and sleep away the morning at least. That’s what I’ve been doing too. Starting things, even if it is classes again, is tiring.
Connie, I had moonshine once at a beekeeper’s meeting! Not to my liking though. I did like the tea the woman of the house prepared, it was from some herbs and I wish I could remember now how she made it.
Laura, I remember the Clint Eastwood movie where he takes on gangs in his neighborhood but it is unfortunate that is only in the movies and our war on drugs etc must take a more sophisticated bend. Stay safe, okay?!
DebK, can you tell how the word bonspiel originated? It sounds like a fun word and I wondered to its origins…
Joy, wow! I would love to have a job like yours. One I had applied to at the University was to track the chicken research, sounded a lot like what you are doing with the pigs and the farrowing records.
Work goes on, it is week three, and a short week. I set up three beds this weekend. The twin spindle set we used to use as bunks are now side by side in the smaller bedroom. Had to move a desk out to do that. Both girls like it and now when they watch a scary movie (or worse, news program), they can sleep together without crunching into just one single bed. The other bed was a $10 bookcase and footboard from Salvage. Solid oak and just had to sand and refinish it with stain. Solid wood rails too. And high enough to store deep bins underneath for the out of season bedding. All this resulted in more closet space and less plastic binnery stacked up in corners of the house.
I am thrilled to be cleaning out and ‘redding up’ as the Pa Dutch say (at least I think they say that). The fall decorations are out and dh will get a top glass shelf made this week so the china cabinet light will finally shine through to the whole case and light up the dark corner of our dining room. Oh yes, we stacked a pile of wood and still have the other cord to bring over but with the cooler weather that will be nothing.
On Monday we had another picnic, the second weekend running. This time it was for family and a few of the girls’ friends. I made a macaroni salad I liked, for once, usually I’d rather have potato salad but macaroni is quicker to make. Also had some green pepper sausage from S. Clyde Weaver’s, that is worth a return trip to the store.
This is the recipe to convert a chocolate cake mix to a chocolate zucchini bundt cake.
Mix together 3 eggs, 2 tsp vanilla, ½ cup sugar, ¼ cup oil, 3 Tbsp melted butter. Grate into the cake mix 1 ½ cups zucchini with the skin on. Add the liquid to the dry and mix then turn into a pan prepared with a light coating of butter, dusted with both confectioner’s sugar, and flour. Bake at 350F for longer than an hour until a wooden skewer poked in comes out clean. Cool ten minutes and turn out of the pan to cool. Invert top side and cut. The sugar in the pan makes a nice crust.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 09-07-2010, 12:00 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

This is my last day off of my 5 day weekend. Spent the day doing things at home. It was nice with nobody home. Steph started her first day of her senior year today. Can't wait to pick her up from xc practice to see how things went.

Charlotte
Old 09-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Ellen, my son went to LaSalle in Philadelphia. His tuition was covered, all but $500, through an academic scholarship, a service scholarship requiring 10 hours a week of service, and a music ministry scholarship requiring 4 Masses per month. I won't have to worry about whether he goes to church! He plays electric bass and mandolin, mostly, plus a few other things.

Luke had his first day of 3rd grade today. He came home with a bazillion forms, many requiring duplicate information--and my last name is so long...hello writer's cramp! He's happy to be back in school.

DD is off to high school starting tomorrow. I'm trying to figure out how she will fit in household chores with her insane schedule. I'd love some advice, especially from other parents of active teens!

Charlotte, so true that you need something other than school to do. I think it keeps you sane!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Nine Year Member

Ellen, thanks! I feel more threatened by the aggressive drivers on the streets and freeways here, though. When we first moved here 5 years ago, seemed like there were shootings on the streets all the time. I haven't heard much about that in quite awhile, but living out here can really illuminate the meaning of "road rage!" I think I got spoiled driving in Omaha!
Old 09-08-2010, 05:36 AM

Here I am late again in getting into the Friendship Thread.
Sept started off as any other month. Pretty boring, but as the weekend came around, oh boy!

Jakob has an ear infection, not cleared up from last month.
Elijah fell off the top step of the porch, hit his head on a metal security systems sign and needed 10 stitches. Needless to say his daddy quickly built a new hand rail that has wooden bars on it so no one else does the same thing.

We have our "WALK TO CURE DIABETES" walk this weekend. Only 2 miles long, with lots of stuff for the kids to do. At last check, my team had a total of $2869.00, Only $131 more to go to reach our goal. Not sure if we'll make it or not since the walk is Saturday.

Oh, Elijah's pump was ordered, now all we have to do is take the classes to learn how to use it, then NO MORE INJECTIONS! YAY!
Old 09-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Just a quick Hello, to let you all know Im around, lol, been a busy week sofar will post Friday(my only free day this week) when I have more time HUGS to ALL
Old 09-08-2010, 04:06 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Just stopping by to say hi. Busy day at work today. Now I am tired and ready to relax for the evening.

Charlotte

Closed Thread