Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 07-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Baby Shower Help

Ladies I need your help again, I am going to be a Grandma in Dec. and the shower is going to be Oct. 9th. Don't have a theme yet but we are looking to have about 120 people attend (yes I know this is stupid) but she only wants to do this one time so we are combining the families for one party. I am looking for ideas for a theme, food, games, anything that could help us with a push to get us moving on this.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I think that the first thing you have to decide on is a theme. Does she know the sex of the baby? Does she want the typical blue/pink or something more stylish or wild or ???

Will she be registering somewhere for the gifts? (You need to be able to put that in the invitations).

You will need to decide on a location.

Will it be formal or casual? If casual, I would suggest finger foods, maybe evens soups/breads/crackers and mini cupcakes or cupcakes to go along with a single shower cake for the mom-to-be.

Will you be making all of the food or will it be catered?

Games -- fun and playful games?

I have lots of ideas once I hear what you have in mind.

What state do you live in? I ask only because I'm wondering if it will be fall in your area around that time? My son was born on Oct 27 (we due on Halloween). It's always beautiful around that time.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well we will not know the sex until August and so far the theme is monkey business or got milk! We will be making the food ourselves and the shower will be in the school auditorium. We live in Michigan and it will be fall here for sure, we have been throwing around some ideas but haven't landed on anything. We need something for entertainment, games or something.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I love those two themes!

How about banana cupcakes with chocolate monkeys for a top decoration? You could do choc/banana, too.

Got Milk could always be mini chocolate baby bottles on top of the cupcakes.

There are tons of baby shower games out there. There's the typical bingo, dirty diaper game, pass around household items that you've placed in brown bags and stapled shut - they have to figure out what's in the bags by feelings the bags only.....

With that many people, it would be nice if you could have a microphone so that everyone can hear you.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-03-2010, 04:02 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am still in the overwhelming stage of this thing but I figured if we start early enough we should sail right through it, 2 weeks before the shower my son is throwing a diaper party for the dad, all of the guys have to bring a box or bag of diapers in enter the party. He has chosen to have the party at our house because there is more room and a big garage to play cards. So the poor husband is going to start to clean out the garage of everything that has been stored for lack of space. Going to be donating alot of furniture that has no home (this part is making him very happy). Looking for typical guy food for that one, brats, cheesy potatoes,baked beans all of that kind of stuff. I really don't think we have to decorate anything as all they look for is the keg of beer anyway
Old 07-03-2010, 04:50 AM
Head Moderator

<SMALL>A few games: </SMALL>
<SMALL></SMALL>
<SMALL>Don't Say Baby: Each guest wears a baby object (Something small, diaper pins work great or something else the mom to be will be able to use) and you place those items on a string to wear as a necklace. Each guest is told any time she says baby during the shower another guest who "catches" them saying baby gets their "necklace". At the end of the shower the guest with the most "necklaces" wins a prize.</SMALL>
<SMALL></SMALL>
<SMALL></SMALL>
<SMALL>Guess The Mom to be's size: Each guest takes some string or yarn that they think would fit around the mom to be's tummy. The guest with the "best fit" wins a prize. </SMALL>
<SMALL></SMALL>
<SMALL>Pin the sperm on the egg: Cut out an "egg" of paper and "sperm" and play just like "pin the tail on the donkey" </SMALL>
<SMALL></SMALL>
<SMALL></SMALL><SMALL>How many? Fill a jar with 1 type of baby item (nipples, pacifiers) and let each guest guess how many are in the jar? </SMALL>
<SMALL></SMALL>
<SMALL>How many baby items can you name: Each guest is given paper and pen and given 5 minutes to list as many baby items as they can; at the end of the time the guest with the most items listed wins a prize</SMALL>
Old 07-29-2010, 04:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Buy some baby food jars...take the labels off and number the jars...make sure you keep a master list of what number is what type of food. Pass the jars around and have them smell and guess what they are....you can also use popsicle sticks if you want to taste.
If a name is picked out have everyone come up with as many words as they can usning the letters for the babys name....can use 1st and last name.
Have a scavenger hunt to find a big gift......We made up some poems starting in a card and the mom had to use the clues to go look for the next clue.....at the next clue she got a small gift with anouther clue....etc etc till she found the big gift. it was alot of fun.....the new mom loved it.
have a couple of onsies on the arrival table......buy some fabric markers and have everyone sign their name.....a great keepsake that can be worn.
will try and think of some more

hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 07-29-2010, 04:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

we also bought the thank you cards and had everyone who came put their name and address on the envelope....so then the mom to be just had to fill out the card and pop it in the mail....

hugs debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 07-29-2010, 05:25 AM
Head Moderator

You could use the pre addresses envelopes as a entry for a end of the shower give away also!
Old 08-24-2010, 12:42 PM

As if i don't have enough to do already I offered to help my sister throw a baby shower for her young daughter who is expecting. Mommy is only 16,so she'll need everything.

She is recycling to earn money to get alot of the things on her own plus family members have been giving her items they no longer need.

I would like to make this a fun shower. Any suggestions? Shower is being held Sometime right after Halloween.

Any cheap party game prize suggestions?