Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

October Friendship Flower

Wow October is here already....... along with cooler days and falling leaves. Halloween will be here before we know it.......In Canada we will celebrate Thanksgiving. For us October is the return of all fall activities, Boys are back in cadets My daughter is taking 3 dances...tap, hiphop and lyrical Curling will start at the end of the month and my oldest is training to get his adult black belt in karate. I have to get busy and sew my daughters costume ......the boys have gotten to the age where mom sewing costumes is no longer cool......I should be glad less work for me but it means they are growing up Our renovations we were working on are all done but we have decided to redo our bathroom and paint our middle sons room.... are we crazy????

Anyways what are your plans for this wet and cooler month

hugs debbie
Attached Images

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 09-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Assistant Moderator

As I was looking at the posts, and was about to post I realizse it was closed. Well I knew that meant a new thread for October.

fish, knowing DM, like I do, she will never forget your friendship you showed her
so glad she was able to met someone,
you would think her son would but knowing what I do, well... enought is said.

tomorrow will be my computer test, part of it will be about micosoft word 2007 which I don't have or learn where everything is. The other part will be to define words
Old 09-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Tomorrow is the beginning of a very busy month. Birthdays galore!

I am so looking forward to this cooler weather. I'll open the windows and save on my electric bill!

Felicia

Old 09-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Felicia, I think all of you here at FC are thankful to you for being such a friend to DM when she was in your neighborhood.

Punky, enjoy the football game I am a Notre Dame fan, and am looking forward to Saturday's game too. Which team are you for, Mich. or Mich. State?

Dval, the Fatima day sounds really cool.

DebK, as usual you are BUSY! Hope you get some time to rest!

This has been a bad day. We have been helping a couple of young girls in crisis, for the past month. Some good things have happened for them...but today, it was a rough day all around. It's going to get worse before it gets better. I haven't really mentioned this here at FC; it's a lot to get into, but right now it is high drama.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:40 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

No birthdays this month. YEAH. Cross country is in full swing for DD #2. DD #1 will come home in 2 weeks for a fall break from college for 5 days.

Not much else going on for October.

Charlotte
Old 09-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

just subbing
Old 09-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am in the middle of baking (For my Relay For Life bakesale tomorrow) and I've got to tell ya, DebK, your Chicago Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies are SO yummy!!!!
I had ONE! Now, I could eat about a dozen of them with a tall glass of milk but I am being good!!!!!

I am going to get out the fall decorations tomorrow! With it being triple digits in the last weeks it was hard to even THINK HAlloween!

It feels so nice to have the door open!!!! It really does!!!

A question:
I think it is more important to take care of our home and family (inc my parents) then it is to do volunteer work and groups at church.
The latter is good, yes. Trying to do both drags me down and gets me depressed.
I look at you all, especailly DeBora and DebK and wonder, how in the world do you do it all? I guess I would have learned if I had children. But with not having that discipline of having to care for anyone, I have very little energy because I've never had to do much.
When I do good outside the home I end up with laundry to do, bed needing changed, floors needing mopped, shower needing cleaned and, well, you know, that unending list.

Also, with trying to lose weight I blow it when I am running around town or doing things at church because I don't have the healthy choices that I have at home. Yes, I can pack my healthy foods but there is that temptation and I always lose. The fried chicken and cookies won at church yesterday!

Off and on this past year I have done volunteer work at the mental health center and church. I have come to realize I would really rather just be home during the day and do fun activities with Mark a few nights a week.

If you were in my shoes of not having kids, (hence, not all the responsibiliteis of raising them) how would you spend your time?

Do you think it is selfish of me to want to be home? Just home?
I am realizing the more I do outside the home, the more I really just want to BE home.
Mark and I are blessed to be able to do a lot of fun activities. I know that. The square dancing, community concerts and movies etc, I know we would not be able to afford to do as much if we did have kids.
Believe me, I would have chosen kids over activities had there been a choice. But we have made a happy life filled with friends and fun activities. That wasn't true in our early married days. Most money went to infertility treatments and all I thought about was when was I going to be a mom. My only friends then were other women on drugs trying to be moms , too.
When we started doing a lot of things in our late thirties our friends here would be jealous of that but then we reminded them, yea, but we don't have kids.....

I'm rambling now.
So, I guess what I am asking is, if you did not have kids and you did not have to work what would you do with your time?
And, do you think it is selfish for wanting to be home?
I mean, thats easy to just say, of course not. Taking care of the home is an important job, too. I know that. But really, how would you feel and would that be enough for you?

hugs, train

Last edited by trainlady; 09-30-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Train, if I didn't have a gazillion kids [ah the fantasy!] I'd definately love being home. I like to read and write so I'd do that MORE! Now I hardly have time.
I don't think it's selfish to want to be home. I think it only becomes selfish if it was all you ever did and never cared about anyone else.
I am looking forward to the day when I can just mosey around my home, sleep in, go for a walk, watch tv, just do what I want and not have to worry about anyone but myself for a change. Of course that could all be a fantasy.... maybe when I get older nothing will change and my life will still be what it is.

Felicia

Old 09-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Train, you crack me up! I am the same way about dieting as you are. I eat good at home but not out and about.

As far as your question goes I am an "empty nester" now but I work a part-time job. I had two jobs for a while but recently gave up the small one. I too LOVE to be home I can think of so many things to do! Exersize would be at the top of my list as that has fallen to the wayside. Sewing reading gardening to name a few. I don't have to work but it's nice to have my own money.

Dh wants to retire in a couple of years and I don't know what I'm going to do then.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi all - October is a really busy month for us - we have at least 7 birthdays this month including mine - yeah! Can't wait to see what my hubby has planned this year.

Bar Bar - good luck on your computer test - I was an IT tech when I worked and learning a new program isn't easy when you're not sure what you are doing. Just take a deep breath and do the best you can. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Fish - too funny - you're cold and living in Florida. I live in Michigan and tonight it will get down to freezing - 29 degrees here. It will slowly make it's way back up to 65 degrees eventually, but not until at least noon. It didn't get above 61 here today so it's been very cold to me. I actually turned the heat on.

Barbszy - I root for Michigan all the way - Go Blue! Of course there will be a good mix in the people here (we do allow Michigan State fans in the house - he he). Another rivalry game we have here is between U of M and Ohio State (sorry Aunt Minny), so that will be another fun weekend.

Train - I agree with Fish on this one. I have kids but they are all grown and on their own at this point. I worked for 33 years and just recently retired a couple years ago. I must say I love being home but I don't allow that to be the only thing I do. At the moment we are helping my hubby's elderly parents so that is one thing taking up some of our time. But with the cold weather looming, I look forward to snuggling up under a blanket and reading, something I don't do alot in the summer.

Closed Thread