Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 07-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Do or Don't: Crafting During Meetings

This week in "Dear Abby" one of the questions was:

Is it rude for someone to knit, crochet or piece a quilt during a meeting/gathering?

I thought that was an interesting question. What do you think about it?

When you answer, don't forget to mention whether you are a crafter (I'm wondering if that might make a difference in the answers!)
Old 07-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Assistant Moderator

I am a crafter!

I think it depends on the meeting. A more serious meeting, one you really need to pay attention to then no crafting. I know at our hs moms meetings some of us did bring mending and crafts.

What did Dear Abby say?
Old 07-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I think it would be rude. I would assume that everyone at the meeting is supposed to be participating in some form, either by contributing to conversations, taking notes, thinking, or something. Others may not know whether or not the crafter is listening or participating if he/she is preoccupied with something else. I know that some of these crafts require counting or other mental abilities that would take some cognitive focus off the meeting. However, if the crafter isn't a part of the meeting, but rather with someone who is at the meeting, I don't think it would be a problem if others aren't expecting that person to be listening.

I am a crafter. I just don't have time since I started collge.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Assistant Moderator

I agree with DeBora. If you are attending a meeting, you should be giving your full attention to what is going on and participating fully. I think knitting or some other craft would make it seem like someone is only half paying attention.

But if it is an informal meeting like a book club or something like that. then if other members have no problem with it and you don't need to concentrate so much then it would be fine

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 07-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I am a crafter. I was at a garden ( informative) program at my library & one of the ladies was crocheting. I think that was fine. I have seen on TV people knitting while on jury duty or during office meetings. I don't think that you can really concentrate on what is being discussed & knit/craft. At least I wouldn't be able to. If it was a knitting/crochet/craft type meeting at the library or a bookstore where you are doing your craft or sharing tips that would be different.

Gloria

We all need to help save our planet before it's too late

Old 07-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

That's an interesting question. I have to agree with those who have already posted. If you're there to really participate in the meeting, it needs most of your attention.

I am a crafter, and I will often do counted cross stitch while half-watching tv with my husband, but if the show gets interesting or compelling, I need to stop stitching to really listen to what's going on. I find that correlates to the meeting question.

I found this question very interesting since I have occasionally thought, while at a particularly dull meeting, how much I wished I had something useful to do, but then thought that it would be rude to those running the meeting, even if the subject matter seems dull.

Liz
Old 07-25-2008, 03:15 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I think it would be rude to do so.
How would you feel if you were conducting a meeting and someome were crafting instead of lpaying attention .

Old 07-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Assistant Moderator

I also think that it would depend on the type of meeting it was. If it was an informal gathering of friends then no, but it was an organised one I think it would be rude.

Who is to say that the knitter or crocheter has not asked if it's ok to do so, maybe she is there to wait for a participating member, maybe she knows the meeting organisers, there are a few what if's.

If you asked if I personally would do this at a meeting, the answer would be no I wouldn't.
Do I do this in a doctors or dentists waiting room the answer would be yes I do.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:07 PM

I'm a crafter and I think it's rude. How would you like to be the speaker and have people sitting there knitting? Would you wonder if they were paying any attention to what your saying?

When your sitting in a waiting room it's fine. Once when my mother was having surgery, I worked on a small needlepoint project while sitting in the waiting room to keep my mind busy.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-26-2008, 05:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Well, I am on the other side of the coin...I think it is fine to knit or crochet at meetings. It is much better than people sitting together and whispering. Alot of people can do 2 things at once...listen & do handworks. I take no offense to this.

I never get to do this

Janet