Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 06-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Job that require little to no interpersonal contact?

What are some careers in which a person could do without little interpersonal contact? I am writing a paper and I am at a loss at some types of job in which a person could work, unsupervised, and little or no contact with others. It would be nice if that person could be told what to do by his/her boss and then be left to do it.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I am also looking for jobs for people who are ultra perfectionists. What jobs do people excel in who just obsess about being perfect and not making mistakes?
Old 06-19-2008, 02:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Computer programmers can work for quite a while without interpersonal contact.

That's not a good job for perfectionists, though, since programmers need to have a perfectionistic streak--that's actually an asset.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Medical transcription is another job where people would be given the work and then left to do it unsupervised.

I have also done freelance work for an educational software company, correlating state educational objectives with the lessons in the program. That job was done "by mail" so very unsupervised.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:58 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I do have computer programmer, but I didn't have the free lance work for educational software companies to correlate state objectives with lessons.

Now I need jobs for those who are ultra perfectionists. These people aren't necessarily solitary people. These perfectionists don't have to be alone. But, they can't get the job done if they aren't perfect!
Old 06-19-2008, 04:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have had a job like that too. One summer I worked in the electronics warehouse of a defense contractor that built sonar for the Navy. My job was to take the giant spec sheets and package up 10 of this part, 15 of that part...counts had to be accurate and it had to be the right piece.

Some of my coworkers were sending in bad packets with inaccurate counts or wrong parts, and then it became my job to double-check their work.

Perfectionists also make good editors, although they have largely been forced out of that job by Spellcheck, which can't do the job nearly as well as a human.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:44 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Barb, thanks! I like your ideas. The problem with people with Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder (not Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) is that they are so perfectionistic that the task is lost. I am trying to figure out jobs they would be suited for that all they have to do it find inperfections and correct them. That would get rid of them having to deal with the task.

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

DeBora, any kind of Quality Control work would be perfect for people like that.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:20 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I like that term, "quality control." I think I am finished with my paper with the exception of editing. I will do that tomorrow when I am not so tired.