Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 11-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

What are your favorite Christmas CDs or Songs?

I have three favorite Christmas CDs:
Bing Crosby's Merry Christmas CD. This is the omne that includes, White Christmas, Silver Bells and Mele Kalikimaka. Even though this is not the kind of music my kids would normally listen too, both DDs have it on their IPods.
Statler Brothers Christmas Card CD. Just love home Christmas feeling I get listening to this CD.
Mannheim Steamrollers Christmas CD. This CD has one of the prettiest instrumentals versions of Silent Night.
My favorite Christmas song is Silent Night.

Ok, your turn to share.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I like Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Christmas Eve. Another favorite Christmas CD of mine is Kathy Mattea's Good News. Some country, some gospel, some classics--all excellent.

"Silent Night" and "O Holy Night" are my favorite carols.

Sometimes I like the sillier Christmas songs but I don't want a steady dose of it.

I would love to find a good gospel CD with Christmas music, with piano accompaniment. If anyone has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My favorite Christmas CD right now is Sara McLachlan's. I can't think of the name of it, but there are some beautiful songs on it - a great mixture of some of my favorite hymns and songs I've never heard before.

Silent Night is probably my favorite Christmas carol. Carol of the Bells is probably a close second.

I definitely like the more nostalgic music better: Bing Crosby's White Christmas, Nat King Cole's The Christmas Song.

I like some of the funny ones as well. Yesterday I heard "Walking Round in Women's Underwear" to the tune "Walking in a Winter Wonderland".

Kathy
Old 11-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

My favorite one that I own is by Putumayo- it's a collection of various artists performing Christmas songs. You've probably seen the Putumayo CDs around- they do lots of multicultural collections, like salsa or Irish or blues or whatever. My CD has a version of "The First Noel" sung by Ella Fitzgerald and it's just phenomenal.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Joy, I heard a Mannheim Steamroller Christmas song on the radio last night. It was really good! I don't think I've heard them before. I just put their CD on request at the library.

One of my favorites from when I was a kid is the Harry Simeon Chorale. We had it on 8-track A couple of years ago my dad was saying how he missed that album now that he has no 8-track player so I found it on CD for him. I love listening to big choirs.

I also enjoy listening to Handel's Messiah. One time some members of the church choir I was in went to New York City for a Messiah sing-along. It was SO cool. I am not up to that kind of challenge but I did go, and I tried, and when you are surrounded by people who ARE capable of singing that kind of music, it does help you rise to the occasion a little. It was an amazing experience.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have a favorite cd from several years ago. It is by Hallmark and is instrumental, mostly strings. It has a beautiful rendition of The First Noel and also Ding Dong, Merrily Along. I love the Mannheim Steamrollers, too!
Old 11-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Nine Year Member

I don't have a favorite cd but I think my favorite song is White Christmas sung by Bing Crosby-of course anything he sings is great! I like Dean Martin's Christmas songs as well.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My fav's are:
Mannheim Steamroller
Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Yogi Yorgesson
Amy Grant

Last edited by Rbeccers; 11-30-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Michael W. Smith also has a wonderful Christmas album. Mostly classic carols but with his own modern twist and great accompaniment.

Jjoj, I have a Hallmark album but not that one. It has Sandie Patti and is also very good.

Does anyone know if Hallmark has an album this year?
Old 12-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oh, neat! I wasn't aware that there were more cds. I checked at www.hallmark.com and found one Christmas cd called Silver Bells. I'm not sure if it's recent?

Last edited by jjoj; 12-01-2007 at 07:32 AM.