Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 07-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Angry Religious door-to-doorers approached my kids today!!

I do not mean to offend anyone by this post. Anyone who knows me, will know that I am very open minded about things ...until it comes to the safety of my kids!

I am so PO'd about this!

Today, my kids were playing in our BACKyard when 2 adults w/2 kids approached them and said "Hi, We are going around talking to people about Jesus today. Would you like to talk with us?" My son said that he told them "no" and then grabbed his sister and came in the house to tell me. In the meantime, they followed him and continued to talk and shove a pamphlet in his face for him to read! Once he came in and told me about this, I went to look for them but they were gone. My son ripped up the pamphlet or I would've tried to get their name from it.

First and Foremost....DO NOT APPROACH MY KIDS ABOUT ANYTHING!!!
Don't they realize that this is wrong?!? You should NEVER try to talk to kids like that.
Thankfully my son did what he has been told to do....get his sister and get into the house immediately.

Second---DO NOT PUSH YOUR RELIGIOUS BELIEFS ON MY KIDS!!!
I am not against religion but do not attempt to force your beliefs on me unless I ask you about it. AGAIN....do not attempt to talk to my kids about anything!
Kids are trained not to talk to strangers!!! What are these people thinking!

If I see them around here again (or Heaven forbid they knock on my door!), they are going to get a piece of my mind!

If they approach my kids again, I am calling the police. All I can think about is what if this was a plot to get close to my kids and then they grabbed them and took them!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-29-2007, 03:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Your kids did right to say no and run inside! Smart kids!!

I agree that adults should not be approaching children like that. This raises a big red flag to me. They came to the backyard, not the front door. They talked to the kids, not the adults. Do you know what church they came from?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:21 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Tami, is your backyard fenced in?

I agree with Barb, this raises all kinds of red flags!

I am with you. Don't mess with my kids! I mean, you may not know that they were child molesters or kidnappers posing as religious people! That was out of line for them to enter your property and talk to your children without the parents being there or their concent.

If it were me, I would get the address or phone number of the church they are representing. I would call that place, or visit if there is no phone number, and let the leaders of that organization know what happened. Tell them that you don't know what kind of business they are opperating, but that with the crime in today's world, it is not advisable to approach people's children when parents aren't around and if they do this again, you WILL call the police.

You could have called the police anyway. I bet they would have driven around until they found them. The cops would have made sure the people were on the up and up and inform them of what they can and can not do, legally.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbszy
Your kids did right to say no and run inside! Smart kids!!

I agree that adults should not be approaching children like that. This raises a big red flag to me. They came to the backyard, not the front door. They talked to the kids, not the adults. Do you know what church they came from?
No, by the time my son had come into the house, he had shredded the phamplet that they shoved in his face.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 07-29-2007, 07:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBora43
Tami, is your backyard fenced in?

I agree with Barb, this raises all kinds of red flags!

I am with you. Don't mess with my kids! I mean, you may not know that they were child molesters or kidnappers posing as religious people! That was out of line for them to enter your property and talk to your children without the parents being there or their concent.

If it were me, I would get the address or phone number of the church they are representing. I would call that place, or visit if there is no phone number, and let the leaders of that organization know what happened. Tell them that you don't know what kind of business they are opperating, but that with the crime in today's world, it is not advisable to approach people's children when parents aren't around and if they do this again, you WILL call the police.

You could have called the police anyway. I bet they would have driven around until they found them. The cops would have made sure the people were on the up and up and inform them of what they can and can not do, legally.
Yes, I agree, thinking back now I should've called the police about it. I was just so upset that they approached my kids in our back yard. I had to compose myself to let my son know that he had done the right thing.

We live in an apartment complex so it is an open shared back yard around the place. It's hard to explain but I think that I have shots of it in some of my gallery pics.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 07-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Tami, I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I am so mad that I think back to what I should have done. When it comes to our kids, we moms become pretty aggressive and angry. Don't mess with our kids!

I saw on a documentary program where a mother was in a battle with her neighbor. It was pretty violent, so she bought a gun for protection. Much later, her then 14 year old, finally came to her mother and told her that her uncle had raped her when she was 9 and she was just able to bring herself to tell her mother. The mother jumped in her car and raced to where the uncle worked. She was outside the building where he worked and told him that her DD had told her what he had done. He said, "Oh yeah? Well, what are you going to do about it?" I think he may have even called her DD a bad name. The mother pulled out her gun and pumped him full of bullets and then reloaded and shot him some more for a total of 8 times! She drove herself to the police station and turned herself in. It went to trial and she was found not guilty of 1st degree murder and the jury was deadlocked on the lesser degree murder charges. There were so many witnesses as to the character of the victim that he did say what he said to the mother and did what he did to the DD. The state decided not to retry her. I hate to say this, but he got what he deserved. The mother didn't purposely take the gun with her. She just wanted to tell the uncle where to go. But, because of the battle with the neighbor, she already had the gun with her and she "snapped" which it the name of the show. lol I think the jury was deadlocked because I bet the parents on the jury thought they would have done the same thing. Technically, she was guilty of 2nd degree murder. She never denied that she did it and that she shot him in a moment of anger.

The reason I asked you about the closed in yard is because I wanted to know if the religious group knew it was a yard and that they were trespassing? I can tell you from my experience that they WILL be back. You will be able to deal with them. Next time you will have planned exactly what you want to do. You could also inform the police that they are at your house and last time they approached your children, which terrified you. Police are usually sensitive when it comes to children as they have children of their own. Hopefully, they will tell this group NOT to talk to children without the presence of their parents while they are on private property or they WILL be charged with trespassing.

One other thing that I JUST thought of. What about telling the manager of your apartment complex? Maybe if they are aware of these people, they will warn others and be on the lookout for strangers coming on private property. You could let them know that you didn't check it out and you didn't see the people, so you don't have proof that they are even safe, but stupid, people. The apartment manager would probably be appreciative that you let them know. We know that they probably are just religious people, who are stupid, but at least others will be warned and if found, they can be checked out. Hopefully, these people will learn not to do this behavior.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

DeBora makes a good point. Many apartment communities have "no soliciting" policies.

I am more worried that they are not a religious group at all, but predators. In which case, they may not be back to YOUR house because they didn't get what they wanted from your kids. But your neighbors should worry.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I will stop into our office to let them know about. I don't expect much concern, though. They don't seem to care much about anything in there other than whether or not you pay your rent on time.

This isn't the first time that religious groups have come around here but they have never approached my kids before. We do have a group of Mormon kids that live here in the complex and I can honestly say that I have never seen them bother anyone. I have not seen them go door to door here, either.

My husband and I are on the lookout for them but we will need my son with us to verify who they are. My kids will be staying very close to home (not that I allow them out of our yard!) now and they both have been versed on how to handle things if they should approach them again.

I am still feeling so upset about this. I can't help to feel like something isn't right about the whole situation.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus

Old 07-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am with barbszy on this one. Surely if they were really who they said they were, they would know better. At any rate I am glad your son knew to say NO and run into the house. You never know? Better to be safe. I think I would warn the other parents in the complex though so they have a heads up.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Here are 2 pics of my back yard. They are taken as you step out of my living room onto our deck.

The first one is directly in front of our deck.

The second one is off to the right. The other deck is our neighbor to the right of us.

My kids play right here in this area.

Normally, I probably would've been in our living room, where I might have heard these people but at that time, I was washing clothes and didn't hear them.

I think that it is safe to say that they knew that they were in our back yard --even though it is open to anyone who wants to walk through there.

UGH!!

I can't get the FC picture loader to load my pictures! I will try again when I get back home--gotta run out for a bit.

Visit my blogs **

On Hiatus