Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 07-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Felicia, it sounds as though your step-mother is fortunate to have wonderful step-children such as yourself.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

A couple weeks before the stroke my Dad had come to me saying they were going to get divorced. That they fought too much. I told him it was his fault, he yells too much, has no patience and treated her like child, actually worse because she comes from the Phillipines he really treated her like she was stupid but she isn't. I told him to treat her better, like he wants to be treated but he just wanted his divorce. He had a stroke like 3 weeks later and she has stuck by him, he still gets impatient but she ignores him, which makes me laugh and smile because he really needs that. He is well cared for, she gives him all his medicines, cooks all his meals, baths him and I have no complaints, yet if she is tired, he has to wait.
My other siblings were mean to her. I am the only one who is close to her. I am also the only one who lived in the south near them and has formed a bond.
If you met her, you'd love her.
Felicia

Old 07-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Felicia, that is too funny. It sounds like the balance of power is more equalized. He has no choice but to live with her as I doubt that he can live alone now. It is too bad that your siblings haven't gotten to know your step-mom.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Assistant Moderator

What goes around comes around.
Glad your step mum is feeling better about ehrself to stand up to your dad.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am so sick of having to chose between English or Spanish when making a call.
I boycotted a Family Dollar store in Deltona,Fl. because when they first opened the only person who spoke English was the manager, there were 7 empolyees there and not one of them understood what I wanted because none of them spoke English.
I'm at the point now if I'm around a goup of people and they start using spanish I very LOUDLY say speak English this is America.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:29 PM
Nine Year Member

I don't mind picking between languages on the phone, I just wish the English choice as #1 if you are in USAmerica. But I understand that they make spanish #1 as sort of a triage move.

When we went to Mexico we were taught that Central America is America also. I thought it was a good way to bring two cultures together.

I don't like illegal immigration because it places a tax burden on the rest of us and dilutes our infrastructure to non tax paying people.

We have a student town and they have to pay income taxes if they work here. Illegals might think getting lower pay or under the table pay is better than taxes but it isn't. No one wins not even the employer because someone somewhere along the line has to pay for the government services provided. Police protection is just one of them.

I can't even imagine a national health care plan while we have so many illegal immigrants.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 07-22-2007, 04:12 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Unfortunately, the United States does NOT have an official language. People are not required to speak English to live here. Citizens are required to learn multiple languages to get many jobs.

Ellen, I agree with you that Mexico IS part of this continent and I was taught that when I went there as well. However, when I went to Mexico and I was at both the airports in Mexico City and Zacatecas, I could not find a single staff member who could speak English. It irks me that they do not make allowances for us, but we feel that we should make allowances for them.

I think that citizens should speak up and ask that English be made the official language of this country. I also think that since we work with so many other countries, especially Mexico, our children should be required to take 2 languages in grade school. I may be wrong, but isn't our country the only one that does not require a second language to be mastered?
Old 07-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Assistant Moderator

I think those who speak more than 1 language are wonderful, there is a time and place.
I think English is our #1 language to speak in general as we were settled by the English, but aborigingals have their native language also and that seems to be an aboriginal language only.
I think in Aust we have the 2nd largest Italian pop outside of Italy, we needed migration, not illegal, or Aust would not have made it through to the country it is today, due to lack of people already here and the large land mass (we are not that much sq miles smaller that the US) and only 6 states and 2 territories.
Languages taught here are now German and Japanese, it used to be German and french.
We are classed as being in the Asia Pacific region.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I agree, I think 2 languages should be learned.
felicia

Old 07-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Nine Year Member

I asked my dd about what she thought about illegal immigration and languages. She thought we should pick our fights carefully and that language should not be one of them. That it's okay to teach in Spanish in the southwest. That we are the only country that doesn't teach a second language aggressively in grade school.

She also thought illegals should become legal and pay their taxes.

What about deportation? Well, she thought that should depend on the situation. She wouldn't want to send anyone back to a threatening area, or compromise a family's income that might have many children.

She thought we should do more for Mexico so that they could become wealthier and not want to emigrate. That industrialization and aggressive agriculture might be the answer. To pick areas with a strong work ethic and spend the time there helping them pull themselves up out of poverty.

She said "There are rich people in Mexico." Figure out how they did it.

My question: Is it always by graft and corruption that the rich in Mexico are rich? Is there reward for hard work?

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."