Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 05-25-2007, 10:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
OMG! Liquor stores selling cups of ice!

I just read this article and also watched the video on CNN. I could not believe what I was hearing....... The liquor stores in Atlanta, GA are selling cups of ice to patrons! IMO, this is totally absurd! What are they thinking!!??!!

Here is the article: (You can view the video on cnn.com)

ATLANTA -- An anti-drunken driving organization and a mother who lost a son to a drunk driver are livid after finding out Ben Hill Package Store, in southwest Atlanta, has been selling liquor and cups of ice through its drive-through, reported WSB-TV in Atlanta.

State regulations clearly show it is a state violation for package stores to sell anything but bags of ice. That means cups of ice are not allowed.

"To give somebody a cup of ice along with the sale of alcohol, there's something wrong about that," said Latresse Snead, Georgia's executive director of Mothers Against Drunk Driving.

Snead said it is clear customers plan to drink and drive when buying a cup of ice and alcohol, especially when purchasing cups at the drive-through.

"They don't know if that person that they just sold that alcohol to has kids in the car," said Snead.

Someone phoned Snead about the store selling cups of ice and liquor through the drive-through, and she told WSB-TV.

WSB-TV sent a television station employee through the drive-through and videotaped him buying a cup of ice for 15 cents and a bottle of liquor. The station showed the video to State Alcohol Enforcement Chief David Dyal.

"They can't do that, and then you have people drinking in the open, which is a violation of the open-container law," said Dyal.

Dyal sent agents to the store. After noticing an ice cooler for the to-go cups, the store was told to get rid of it and received a warning for the violation.

The store's owner said he had no idea he couldn't sell cups of ice. He said no one informed him.

The Georgia Alcohol Dealer's Association disputes the state's interpretation of the regulation banning cups of ice. It thinks stores can sell cups of ice as long as there are lids on the cups, which it thinks would make the cups packaged.

The Revenue Department said the Dealer's Association is wrong and only bags of ice can be sold.

An employee at Ben Hill Package Store told WSB that it is an American right for people to buy liquor and a cup of ice to drink on their way home.

Chris Melton said he is not happy state alcohol agents are forcing the store to stop selling cups of ice.

"These cats, they have a hard day at work, they come to the liquor store, buy a cup of ice," said Melton. "Most people -- I'm not saying all of them. Before they get home, they're gonna drink and drive."

He said a message on the store's cash register urges customers not to drink and drive, but he said the ice cup prohibition won't change his customers' habits.

"They're going to do it the American way and have a drink while they're driving," he said.

Donzella James was appalled to hear the store has sold liquor and cups of ice. James' 18-year-old son was killed not far from the liquor store by a five-time drunken-driving offender who had open containers in his truck.

James reacted to Melton's comments.

"I wish you had asked him, 'What if your child gets killed or your loved one gets killed because of somebody who buys a cup in here and has a drink in here on the way home?'" said James.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 05-26-2007, 02:57 AM
Nine Year Member

Amazing! Just because we can do something, it may not be 'right' even if it is an American right it can be very wrong. What a misuse of freedoms, how irresponsible.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 05-26-2007, 05:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'm still shocked that there are drive-through liquor stores! What are they THINKING?
Old 05-26-2007, 06:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbszy
I'm still shocked that there are drive-through liquor stores! What are they THINKING?
You and me both! If this combination doesn't encourage drinking and driving, I don't know what does!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 05-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Nine Year Member

I cannot believe this! And I also have never heard of a drive through liquor store. Unbelievable.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 05-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Every state has law instated by the alcohol board. I personally don't think they should be allowed to sell liquor via drive-through, whether open container or not, because you cannot judge whether or not a person has had too much to drink and other information about that person by seeing that person sitting in the car. Also, with the open container law, police should just sit and wait for these guys to purchase their cups and their liquor and just wait for them to open it and bust them. Then, people wouldn't do business there anymore. But, mainly, the alcohol board should pull the license of that place and then nobody can purchase alcohol from them in any form.

I thought the alcohol board was strictor and made companies accountable pretty quickly.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 05-26-2007, 06:06 PM
FamilyCorner Admirer

We live not to far from Atlanta.When I heard about it on the news, I was shocked !! I think DeBora43 has a great idea about the police just sitting and waiting for them to open their liquor, then arrest them. My mother would not have been an only child if her sister wasn't killed by a drunk driver on her 13th birthday. I don't like smoking, but I have never heard of somebody killed by a smoking driver. I would hope that a cup with a lid is not considered a package container. I hope that something is done about this quickly.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am shocked. I have never heard of drive thru liquor stores much less selling cups of ice.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Nine Year Member

DeBora---Do these "cops" not know about this. It seems to me, that you have the answer, but how can a state store operate like this. It's way to bizarre to me.

OK....they drive through, buy a bottle, get a glass of ice, and that's it!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!

In my neighborhood you have to worry about having one beer and getting behind the wheel.

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 05-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I think once the word gets out, the police can set up sting operations. The customers won't know when and if they will be waiting somewhere to catch them. Unfortunately, the police are usually under-staffed. So, finding the time and money and police to do it, might be difficult, but if it is a real problem, they could do these sting operations.

I still don't know how the liquor board doesn't shut them down unless some under the table money is exchanging hands or something.

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!