Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 04-25-2007, 07:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

BOOK DISCUSSION: I Feel Bad About My Neck

I am opening the I Feel Bad About My Neck discussion thread. I think there are some of us who have finished it by now. If you are still reading feel free to jump in whenever you are ready.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:53 AM
Assistant Moderator

Ok, I am about half way through reading I Feel Bad About My Neck. Some of the book I can relate to - graying hair, the over loaded pocket book etc. but in many ways this woman is way out of my league. I do not have the time, much less the money to do the million and one things she does to her hair/body. Cuts, dying, highlights, manicures, pedicures, botox etc. are just something that I just can't get into. (I get my hair cut like twice a year!) I guess I will have to grow old gracefully LOL. As for "parenting" I think we all fly by the seat of our pants and do the best we can but I liked how she notices that parenting advice changes with each generation. I am going to keep reading.

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 05-03-2007, 06:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

It has been awhile since I read the book, but I agree with you on relating to some things and not to the others. I do think she has a good sense of humor though. I enjoyed her take on the purse and found myself saying--Oh yeah, I do that. Like you Sammi, I did not relate at all to her quest to keep her youthful apperance. Who has the time for all of that ( not that I have the money either). I personally don't see anything wrong with aging gracefully.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi - I saw Nora Ephron on Oprah & she was so funny that I read the book which I did enjoy. I am glad I am not the only one who wonders about these women that do all these procedures. I am lucky to color my hair every once in a while, LOL. TG I don't have a lot of wrinkles and I was never one to fry myself in the sun so that is good. The things that no one tells you about getting old, made me laugh & also feel like I am not the only one.

My secret is being married to a dh older than me in whose eyes I am still beautiful.

Pippe
Old 05-06-2007, 08:34 AM
Assistant Moderator

Pippe, I agree with wondering about all those women who spend so much time on their hair, nails, feet etc. and then spend a fortune on all those procedures to keep them looking younger. Who has 3 hours every couple of weeks just to sit in a salon??

Though I am a whole 2 months older than my dh, his hair turned totally gray in his mid 30's and I have hardly any gray at all so I look younger than he does. One time someone thought he was my dad. I think if I do get gray I will make Miss Clairol be my best friend because 20 minutes in the shower beats 3 hours in a salon. Nora Ephron does treat aging with humor which is nice but yet she still caves and does all these things to look younger. I think it just makes things harder for the rest of us to complete and grow old gracefully.

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 05-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

The purse thing WAS funny. I thought that was the best part of the whole book.

She is a funny writer but I find that she starts off saying one thing but by the end of the essay she is doing the very thing she mocks in the beginning. I was a little irritated by her "poor me" stuff since she was blowing more on one pedicure than most moms have to spend on "fun money" for a white....she's not in the real world, so to speak.

My mom passed this book along to me when she was done reading it and she didn't want it back. It's not a keeper for me either--in fact, I listed it on half.com and tomorrow it is going out!
Old 05-07-2007, 03:28 AM
Assistant Moderator

I agree with you, Barbszy - her world and my world are very different. It was definitely hard to have sympathy for this woman who probably spends my yearly clothing allowance for my whole family on one dress or purse. And I don't know many mom's who have time for all the maintainence. It was funny at times (I totally "got" the purse thing) but despite being amused, I could not relate to many of the things.

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 05-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I was a little blown away with what she paid to keep her apartment in what she thought at the time as a "prime" location.
I agree Barb that the purse thing was the best part of the book.