Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 01-31-2007, 04:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

BOOK DISCUSSION: Big Stone Gap novels

Here's where the Book Discussion Group can chat about the Big Stone Gap novels (written by Adriana Trigiani).

Everyone is welcome to join in the discussion!
Old 01-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hi - Did anyone see the discussion with the author on one of the book sites? I think it was Barnes & Noble.

I have read several of her books and this I think was my favorite, maybe because I could relate to the middle age issue that Ave Maria is facing. I also had my daughter get married a few months ago & is living over a thousand miles away. My husband has also had a heart attack & surgery.

The author did a wonderful job of character development so that it was almost like going back to visit and see what everyone was up to doing.

Pippe
Old 02-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Pippe i did not see that discussion......was it good??

I had not read any of the other big Stone Gap books but I found it easy to follow this one and the historywithout them.

I think this book is very relatable to many who are facing that stage of their lives. I loved how the characters developed also and i loved the little quirks that they all had.

I need to go and sign the other books out now or other books by this author as i really enjoyed her style of writing.

Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 02-05-2007, 07:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I read the first book in this series Big Stone Gap. I really liked the authors writing style and her use of humor. The characters become like friends and I really want to see how their live progress. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series as time allows and when I can get the books. My library doesn't have them, but I will be able to get them on inter-library loan.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My cousin and I have both read the whole series. It was fun to talk over the books with her and we found that we both had the same reaction to the characters.

I thought the first book in the series was by far the best. In the later books, some of the things Ave Maria did really annoyed me....I wanted to shout at her, "Don't do that! Are you STUPID?" I guess it's a mark of a good writer that I got that involved with the characters!