Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 08-01-2006, 07:42 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Mel Gibson--Your Opinion

Mel Gibson was arrested last Friday for DUI, according to the this report and several others, he has checked himself in to rehab for alcohol abuse.

In the recent past he went up against Hollywood and the media for the making of the Passion, a movie about Christ. Although he was born in the US, he was raised in South Wales, Australia. Most people do not know that the Man Without A Face was Mel Gibson. In Australia, when he was young, he was attacked by 5 thugs so badly that the police sent him to the morgue because they thought he was dead. Here's of the rest of the story. He became very involved in the Catholic Church and the priest he worked with set him up with a priest. The long and the short of it is that Mel Gibson became a movie star and is known for his good looks.

Hollywood and the media has given Mel Gibson a lot problems because of his portrayal of Christ suffering for all people. Now, he has fallen. What are your thoughts? Will you forgive him or see him in a different light?

Bobby Labonte Official Page Facebook

FC Welcome Wagon : Need help? New to FC? Just ask me!
Old 08-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Forgive him. Mel Gibson has alway been a great actor and you can't take that away. We all make mistakes once in a while...how would we feel if we never got a 2nd chance to make it right again. I've allways been impressed wtih how he took care of his kids he used to take them to the movie set all the time. I haven't read much about him in the last few years other than things about the movie Passion but I still think he is one of the all time great actors. I wish him lots of luck.

Rosey
Old 08-02-2006, 03:44 AM
Nine Year Member

Forgive and pray.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 08-02-2006, 04:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I'm with you guys. It would have to be forgiveness. This must be a very difficult time for his family to have their lives drug through the press.
Old 08-02-2006, 04:58 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I AGREE.
Forgive and pray that he and his family get through this mess...sometimes we put people up on pedestals and forget that they are human and make mistakes just like the rest of us...
Old 08-02-2006, 05:16 AM
Nine Year Member

When something shows up on a police report or in the news I think, Oh, this is just the tip of the iceberg! How it must be so awful for his family to be going through this, first the difficulties of an alcohol problem and then complicated by the national attention.

I hope I am not jumping to conclusions again!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 08-02-2006, 05:59 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

This is what I know from Mel Gibson himself. He was under the influence and he made some vitriolic and harmful words against Jews while he was drunk and being arrested. Gibson stated that he does not know where those words came from but but that he takes responsibility for what he said. He wants to find out why he said those words becuase he is not anti-semantic and it goes against his faith. He does want to apologize personaly to the Jewish community.

I wonder what is going on in his world that led him to drink so much and drive his car? I know he has been catching a lot of stress since he made that movie, "The Passion." I know he has 7 children. I don't know what his relationship is like with his wife and children.

In my experience, when we go up against Satan or judge others, that is when I am tested the most. I cannot help but wonder if this may have been what happened. My DH talked about this when Hollywood went against him because of his faith. I remembered my DH and I talking about how he will be tested more now than ever before going against Hollywood and their media.

I do wish him well. I know that if something came out of his mouth when he was drunk, it is because it is in his heart. I think after he is out of rehabhe should see his priest or minister about why this is on his heart. jmo

Here's the link to another story where the Anti-Defamation League accepts Gibson's apology. He has also been invited to speak to the Jewish Community on their holy day of Yom Kippur--a day of atonement to smooth relations. z

Old 08-02-2006, 07:49 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I do wish him well. I know that if something came out of his mouth when he was drunk, it is because it is in his heart.

DeBora..I had heard ages ago that a drunk person will say what he feels but doesn't have the courage to say sober...I hope that if these are his true feelings that he gets the help he needs to change his thinking...
Old 08-02-2006, 07:53 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I've heard, "Loose lips sink ships." lol

I know that Mel Gibson is going to meet with the Jewish Community and I think that maybe he will get to know them and maybe something good will come out of that.

I know when ppl are in severe emotional or physical pain, they can be very tempted to seek self medicating. That could be his problem. I hope he gets the help he needs because he has at least 3 films in the works.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

it must have really come a shock to the young jewish police officer who was probably in awe of the actor before this incident....my theory is its good he is apologizing to the jewish community for many reasons ..drunk or not the thoughts must have been in his sober mind before or he seemed to know a lot of anti jewish things to say..truthfully i myself can't come up with one and i'm stone sober....those words just arent in my vocabulary or thinking...mel gibson hopefully will get the help he needs since for years he's been having a drinking problem and still has one. for his own good hopefully he can fix what he has said in the jewish community i'm sure many of them were his fans before this they are the ones who need to forgive him ...i'm sure they were shocked and upset that he would speak in that manner and to a young man i'm sure the age or younger of his own children. drunk does not make you brain disfunctional and from i read it was not slurred dead drunk it was the officer thought he was under the influence of alcohol so he couldnt have been driving all over the road which means he had control somewhat of his driving and of what he said . he was probably angry he had gotten caught again.good thing it was pulled over ,maybe he'll stop doing it he knows better then to drink and drive next time it could be a family he kills because he's an actor and feels he is above the laws. we all know better :-) we also know that stars get away with more.