FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Idle Chit Chat! (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/idle-chit-chat/)
-   -   Serving Beer to fund Hi School Sports Team (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/idle-chit-chat/17435-serving-beer-fund-hi-school-sports-team.html)

ellenmelon 07-25-2006 05:25 PM

Serving Beer to fund Hi School Sports Team

Tell me what you think...I was contacted today and asked to volunteer time at the ball stadium serving beer as a fundraiser for a high school sports team. Do you think this is appropriate or not? Should we stick to bake sales and car washes? Personally, I had a problem with it, but What do YOU think?

DeBora4BobbyL 07-25-2006 06:10 PM

I am with you Ellen! I think we have a difficult enough time controlling alcohol abuse and consumption amonst underage drinkers as it is without encouraging it any further. I personally wouldn't participate. There are so many other worthwhile ways of making money besides selling alcohol, even if it is for adults. We have sold candy, made cookbooks, had bake sales, and so on. I personally question the adults who are in charge of this.

ellenmelon 07-25-2006 06:14 PM

yes, I have many times questioned the adult in charge, but not to her face recently...keep the votes coming in all, I want to hear about this, agree or disagree and why....

ladyIris23 07-25-2006 06:36 PM

I also have a big problem with this. granted you would be selling to adults but I don't like the idea of "beer money" supposrting kids. it seems like everytime I go to the races therre is at least one person whose beer "accidently' spills on someone YUCK. Anyway sorry different subject. I would do bake sales, candybar sales, gift wrap sales, car washes, another really easy one is boxtops for education. You save the UPC codes and send them in for 10cents each. our little church school with 12 students averages $500 a year doing this.
Iris

crowemommy 07-25-2006 06:44 PM

Ellen, I have a hard time with this one too. There are so many alternatives ... we did a fundraiser using Wolfgang Candy (out of York, PA) and made over $8,000! We also do Joe Corbi Pizza (out of MD) and made over $10,000. Maybe you can offer some alternatives to the beer without being too "negative".

ajrsmom 07-25-2006 07:41 PM

Doesn't this send out the wrong message?

They are being so critical these days to remove soda and candy machines from schools and to make sure there are healthier foods in the cafeteria and then this woman wants to sell beer at a fundraising event?!? :frypan: If this is the case, are the parents supposed to hand the keys over to the kids to drive them home? I think that I would tell her that if she can't come up with something better than that, she should resign her position.

God forbid, but what if something happens to one of the adults after drinking at this function?

My son's elementary school(last year) had one collection at the start of the year. They sent a Manilla envelope home with every child asking them and their parents to collect donations from friends, family and co-workers. Any donation was appreciated but they recommended $5. minimum. I'm not sure what the final tally was but it covered things for the year and the best part was that we didn't have to sell anything else.

When we lived in Pa., my husband used to buy pizza kits (maybe that is what was mentioned from crowemommy?) from a guy who was selling them for his son. There were pizza shells, sauce and cheese (+ pepperoni if you wanted it) in the kit. These were great and he always sold a ton of them. I can look up the name for you if you are interested in it.

Please keep us updated on this one Ellen.

Tami

crowemommy 07-25-2006 08:07 PM

Tami - that sounds like joe corbi's. Our school has been selling them for several years and are a great organization to work with. We started with Wolfgang candy last year and had a really good experience with them too.

I get the idea of beef & beers (for adults) as a fundraiser for various organizations. But I don't think I've ever seen one connected to a school. Hey - how about selling condoms???

I don't want to be judgemental, but what was she thinking?

sweetnell3 07-25-2006 08:23 PM

I think for myself that its a very bad idea and wouldn't won't any part of it. There is to many other ways to raise the money and not put anybody in a bad postion of someone doing something that might put in harm someone else because of the drinking. Besides we're always trying to teach our kids not to drink so I think it would be sending the wrong message to the kids.

DeBora4BobbyL 07-25-2006 09:10 PM

Ellen, I just thought about something else. The alcohol commission oversees the selling of alcohol, so there may be red tape there as well. Also, if an adult is sold alcohol by an untrained person because he is already a litte drunk upon arriving at the function, and wrecks in his car after he leaves, he could come back a sue (or his family) for selling him liquor when he was in no state to have it. There are all sorts of problems that could arise (a fall as a result of being tipsy). Not only does it set out the wrong message, but it seems like a lot of work and red tape to have to go through the Board to be able to legally sell it. It varies from state to state, but it usually means that at least 1 person has to go through some kind of training.

ellenmelon 07-26-2006 02:56 AM

Thanks for the inputs and ideas for other fundraisers, here is some more information, see if it sways your opinion at all.

The beer would be sold out of a concession stand run by PSU at their new ballpark for the adult team, the Spikes. Only adults are allowed to sell the beer.

I don't know who cards the buyers.

I still have objections mostly because to me it is a little like when Belle Watkins slipped that money to Melanie in Gone With the Wind. At least Belle had the decency to do it quietly and undercover and to only one person.

I have an objection to doing it personally because as an educator, especially in Health and PE, even though I am not actively employed with any one school, it strikes against my value system.

I won't go to football games because EVERY time my seat has been harassed, spoiled, spilled, etc on. The university has gone to great lengths to stop the drinking and such behavior at games yet I wonder that they still have these concession stands.

I am not going to take on the university, they have their own problems. I just am, and I mean this sincerely, NOT COMFORTABLE with selling beer even if it is an easy thousand dollar fundraiser.

I don't think any amount of money can justify the link between underpinning a high school team with alcohol sales.

In the state of PA the majority of school districts rejected Ed Rendell's Act 72 (?) proposal which was to loan money to districts at an advantageous rate, the money would come from the recently introduced gambling to PA (I don't know many happy about that either). Schools in particular do have morals, and they really do try to do the right thing.

I wanted your opinions because I am out of the loop professionally, but I think morals never go out of date. I just didn't know if I was being a stuck up old prig about this.

Given the venue for the sales, has YOUR opinion changed or waffled at all?

I also wish I had set up the question as a poll so that those who don't want their name attached could weigh in also.

I agree that being tactful is in order. The person in charge is a good hearted soul who desires to advance this team so that they can become PIAA based. Money will buy a decent coach (also debatable), and equipment, and help those who can't afford the club fee and other funding things that go with an athletic team.