Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 07-26-2006, 05:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Ellen,
I see where this sounds like an easy way to make some money; but I personally still don't agree with it (maybe I'm a stuck up prig too!).

For the students to appreciate the benefit of the money, they really should be involved in raising it. The senior class of our school ran the concession stand at the U of D football games last fall, but it was food, not beer AND the kids along with some parents worked at it, not just the parents.

Have you talked to any other parents from the school? How do they feel about it?

I think you should stand firm in what you feel is right and see if there are some other alternatives.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:07 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I still say that if they havn't check things out with the alcohol commission, even though it will be adults selling to adults, they could get into big trouble. Have you brought that up to them that it may be illegal to see alcohol without a license? jmo

But, I am with you, it send the wrong messages to the youth and beer being a central theme for making money for them.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:00 AM
Nine Year Member

I have never heard of a school function that would sell alcohol. I'm totally with you. I think there are so many other ways to raise money.

Just putting in my

Keep us posted. I'd really love to hear athe outcome especialy since I am a PA resident.

Lauri

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 07-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Nine Year Member

I think it is legal because these are concession stands run by PSU? for PSU? and I don't know how the money goes to the organization that provides the labor.

I am still not convinced this is a good thing.

I liked crowemommy's response, the kids need to know the value of what they are fundraising, I can see food, even program hawking, but beer, I really am tripped up on it.

My dd1 thinks it is inappropriate and she has a very good sense of what is right and wrong.

I have decided to not participate but I don't know how much I will say why I am not participating. I think they are having trouble finding people to help, why else would they call me but in desperation (! - long story from this spring). I think the trouble staffing this will be message enough in itself.

I will be interested when DH gets back from camp what his take is. For me, it is moral and also legal. If I wanted to be a bartender I would but I don't want the responsibility, both legal and moral.

Drinking is a big problem in a college town, and the high school students get dragged into it, having their parents hawk beer is weird. To me it is as out of place as a tampon sponsor sign on a race car. Not that they would be putting any sponsorship signs on their team uniforms, but still, it just doesn't strike me as right any way I look at it.

I do wonder at the legalities of how PSU can do this kind of concession at one of their stadiums!

I wondered if anyone else thought it might be okay but so far we are 100% voting 'no.' So I guess no one else has had this experience so far, and none of us want to!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 07-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Nine Year Member

dd2 and dh have returned, neither have a big problem with it - hmmm, still doesn't appeal to me

Old 07-26-2006, 04:31 PM
Nine Year Member

Some of the local professional sports teams in Ohio run a fundraiser for groups get 12-15 adults to volunteer to work the concession stands. The group gets $50 a person plus 10% of the proceeds that night and a dollar or two from each ticket that they pre-sell for their groups night.

Personally I am against selling beer to fund children's activities. Have an Avon fundraiser grin, sell bake goods, have a car wash, have a garage sale with donated items, do a pie throwing (teachers & students) contest, etc. any are better in my opinion they selling booze.

When we go to places that are selling beer we always plan on eating in our car to give the drunks time to get away.

Roberta
Old 07-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Nine Year Member

I Like Avon, please tell me what an Avon Fundraiser 'Grin' is or was that a typo?

Old 07-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Nine Year Member

even tho dh doesn't have a big problem with it, he is not going to volunteer either, he also thinks it a bit inappropriate...

Old 07-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Nine Year Member

Ellen the "grin" was just because I was suggesting an Avon fundraiser, being a rep.

Roberta
Old 07-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Nine Year Member

Do you want to pm me and tell me about it?