Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

July Friendship Flower

Well I think all of you can see why I choose this pot for July!!! Does anyone here have any special plans for July 4th??? In Canada July is also a month for celebration. July 1st is Canada's birthday and I believe we celebrate in much the same manner with parades, fireworks and family gatherings! . For most Canadians July is the start of summer holidays as our kids just finished school this week. So whats up in your neck of the woods.......how do you plan to spend the month of July????

Hugs Debbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 06-30-2006, 08:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My kids head BACK to school for term three on Monday. They do not go up a year level or anything like that at this stage. That happens in January/Feb. It is winter. July is usually our coldest month, days are dark by 5.30pm and the air up here is never quite dry! Would I live anywhere else?? No way!

Krispy Kreme donuts opened near us last week, and we finally found a time when the queue was only about 1 hour long on Thursday, so are still enjoying them! Dh is away this weekend, kids and I will light a fire and watcha movie tonight.

Happy Canada Day, Debbie

and Happy Independence Day to all in the States.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We are going over to friends house tomorrow to watch some race! Man!! I wish we were watching it at home where I could read a book!! OH Well!

I played bingo today and WON twenty bucks!! YAY!!

Oh Debbie, that is so scary. I know you are worried but Mike will be just fine!! It won't be long now before he is home.
I hope you have a great Cananda Day celebration! Today certainly sounded fun with all the red food!!

Meg, I am so glad your tests were all OK.

Barbszy, I am SO glad your dad called. You know I was worried. What a bummer that your neighbor gave away the surprise!!

Elen, what does your hubby do? All I remember reading is that he travels for work......

We are going to a friends house to BBQ on fourth of July. I want to make homemade icecream sometime next week.

hugs, train
Old 06-30-2006, 11:52 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Quote:
A rocket hit the base where Mike is stationed at Kandahar. !0 people wer injured.....2 of them Canadians. This is the 20th rocket since Mike was deployed that has hit the base. This one was the first to make contact with where people meet. Makes me even more nervous about Mike being there. I hope this next 7-8 weeks go by fast.
DebK, I am sure you are extremely nervous. I hope the time flies for you. I also love the pictures of the fireworks. On another thread, I saw pictures of the kiddos. The one that everyone says looks like you definately has your eyes. Happy Canada Day! Looks like you are having a blast celebrating!

Ellen, I admire you for all that you are doing. I am just not an outdoor girl and I cannot imagine taking on what you did. Keep up the good work.

Meg, I have heard that those doughnuts are to die for. I am not a doughnut fan, but ppl who are drive for miles to get one.

Quote:
DeBora, I hope the move works well. Isn't it funny how we are all different. I LOVE a knock on my door when I am not expecting anyone. I really miss my friends from where we used to live that would just drop by! I have entertained in my PJ's, but usually if I am still not dressed I will put the kettle on and get them to make the cuppa while I quickly dress! I feel more pressure if I know someone is coming to try and tidy up.

It's funny that when I lived in Iraan and my kids were small, everybody came to my house for hot tea, iced tea, and coffee. The door was always open and nobody called. It didn't bother me then because the kids were always having friends over. It was a Mayberry type town and things were different. Now, I don't have kids at home and am alone and studying most of them time. Back then, nobody called before coming over to visit. Now, I am too busy to entertain and that may be the difference.

Quote:
DeBora.. no owl yet, still waiting. He has made another fireman and a huge bear and a spongebob today! Hopefully he will do my owl soon, I should stop by and remind him! I don't know what you have to do to maintain them, I am going to paint mine myself and coat it so it doesn't rot out.

Felicia, I don't know why I have never wondered what ppl do to care for these things. They are everywhere in the mountains for sale. It just occured to me that they aren't painted and would rot is something isn't done to them.

Took the GKs to see Cars and DGD talked me into a Happy Meal since she was MacDonald's across the street from the movie theater. lol DH set up the swimming pool outside so the GKs can plan in the water when it gets hot enough during the day.

As for July 4th, we have never done the fireworks deal because DHs family reunion is usually during that time and it is in the mountains. It is illegal to have fireworks there. If the GKs are still here, I plan on taking them to the river and park where there will be a huge, professional fireworks display by the fire department.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

DeBora, they are good donuts, but I'm not sure they are worth a long wait!! LOL Maybe I am getting old! Where is Iraan?Fish, I have missed something and are not sure what you are talking about!! LOL Could you let me know, or direct me to a picture somewhere?
Old 07-01-2006, 02:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Krispy Kreme--I've never gotten one at the "official store." Apparently there is a big mystique about the stores! But they ship to a local supermarket here, so I have had them. They're twice the price of everyone else's, for half the donut...I didn't think they were all that terrific either.

DebK, I hope these next weeks pass quickly and SAFELY for Mike & his fellow soldiers. Loved your fireworks pics!

Ellen, I'm no good with plants but you make it sound fun. Have a great time in Gettysburg. My DS camped there with the Boy Scouts a year or so ago, and he loved it. They saw some of a reenactment. I have the feeling he would really get into participating in those, if we lived closer. Around here they have a few Revolutionary War reenactments.

Train, great job on your Bingo win! Enjoy your next few days celebrating with friends.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:08 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Just popping into say Hi and Happy 4th of july everyone Im off to the Fleamarket so have a great day everyone

Old 07-01-2006, 04:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Happy Canada Day & Happy 4th to all, The weather is really getting hot here,Typical hot & humid . O well thank Heaven for AC. We will probably cook out all weekend and just hang out. We ent up north close to Chicago & did all our running around for a while. Gas is up to $3.19 in & around here so we are laying low.
Since we moved about 40 miles further south 6 yuears ago we seldom get drop in visits. I do miss them a lot. I love company & haviing people over. Actually we are having my dad's side family reunion here in August.

Old 07-01-2006, 04:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Just popping in to say Happy Canada Day and Happy Fourth of July! We are going climbing today and then having everyone over for a light supper before going to hear jazz at one of our open air shopping centers. They have a nice grassy park like area where they have music on Friday and Saturday nights.

Meg, glad to hear your tests came back normal. I know it is a concern when the doctors can't come up with an answer.

DeBora, where were you in Iran?

DebK, you know that I am thinking about you and Mike and the kids.

Barbszy, I agree about Krispy Kreme. And that is almost treason to say around here. We live in KK country. People love to go to the shops because they can get warm, straight from the fryer doughnuts. The kids (and adults) love to watch them go over the conveyor belt and be iced. I personally think that they are too greasy and sweet. I like cake like doughuts. Baked if I can get them. I used to make apple doughnuts around Thanksgiving but I lost the recipe and we don't need them anyway.

Well I had better run. Lots to do before we climb.

Take care and be safe all.

Debbie

It is important to follow our dreams as a tribute to those who were forbidden to follow theirs. - Unknown

Old 07-01-2006, 04:58 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Name:  fetch[7].jpg
Views: 166
Size:  15.4 KB
Deb..happy Canada Day.. ..keeping Mike in prayer for his safety there and return home next month..Glad you weren't in Disney this week..would have been awful for the kids as a 12yr old boy died on the Rock and Roller coaster ride (not sure of the correct name)..test showed that he had a hidden heart problem..Looks like all systems are go today for Discovery..the sky is beautiful and the roads are packed..people come way ahead of time (most overnight) to see the shuttles go up..I will watch the take off on TV and then run to my front door to see it in the sky..years ago I would walk down to the river for a better view but this is fine...
Barbszy..your Dad and his friends deserve a lot of credit ...I have only been to Patterson once back in the late 60's to buy baby chicks..Wishing your Mom a happy birthday and that she has a great time at her party.
Meg.. great news on the tests..we have the Krisspy Kreme doughnuts here..but they aren't as great as the ones we can get at a local shop called Tas-T-Donuts...they have the best in the area.
Tammy..happy that your Dad didn't return the card..it would have been sad had he done that.
Train..I am still doing the short walk daily..congratulations on your Bingo win.
DeBora..good luck in the new park..and belated Anniversary wishes..don't know where my mind was..glad Poncho and JetBo are doing well..
Kelly..you reminded me that I need to call for my eye exam also..mostly to check on my cataracts..I think they are getting thicker..can't believe it has been a year already..
so ladies...there were a lot of good things about the olden days but I think that most important it makes you appreciate all that we now take for granted..like washing clothes on a wash board, then a wringer type washer, then what we now have and hanging clothes out in winter only to have them stiffen lke boards, taking them in drying them in the house and knowing they at least smell good from the fresh cold air...no such thing as fab softener...and then progressing to a heating system with radiators which you could put the clothes on to dry...could go on forever but you get the picture.....on socializing.. I don't think it is the time that changed..just the people..why not start up in your neigborhood what used to be....there might be others who also would like to go back to that time when people where important to have in your life...

Closed Thread