Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 05-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Dialing 911

Have you ever had to call 911?
I used to have to call all the time when I worked that overnight shift two years ago. It was a very bad neighborhood and I think they ended up knowing me at the dispatch center!
I have also called when there was a fight at the park across the street.

hugs, train
Old 05-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

I called once when I man was trying to break into my house. Another was when we had a grass fire coming towards our house. However, did you know that you you dial 911 in ANY sequence, you will get a dispatcher? I called an 800 number that included 911 somewhere in the series. The next thing I knew a sheriff was at my house! Of course, the number was wrong and I didn't get into trouble. But, I learned something new.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:51 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have never had to call for but a few years ago I had to say to the dispatcher...I had bought a new phone and programed in 911...when I was through (I thought) the phone rang and it was the dispatcher asking if I needed help..when you program it in it automatically rings them up....and they have caller ID....
Old 05-06-2006, 01:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I had to call 911 when someone broke into my house in the middle of the night. I was in nursing my baby when my DH came in and threw the phone to me and said to call 911 because someone had broken into the house. My DH acutally talked the intruder out and then ran around and rechecked all of the doors and relocked the one the guy had come in through. We felt it took the police forever to get there, but it really wasn't that long, and they had caught the guy running out of our neighborhood on the way to our house. It was very scary, and I really appreciate the dispatchers at 911. My Aunt and Uncle are also 911 dispatchers.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:12 PM

Yess, when my grandfather fell and broke his hip, and a couple of times when there was a car accident out front of the house.

Coll
Old 05-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I called 911 for 2 car wrecks we live close to the interstate and see wrecks often

Old 05-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Yes, the time DS got into the fridge, got open the childproof cap on a bottle of Amoxicil and drank the entire thing.

Now the second time, same DS was a couple of years older and learning our phone number, which was 574-9119. He decided to practice dialing it and accidentally called 9-1-1! They called ME back!

I called 9-1-1 once after witnessing a car accident.

Recently, there was a horrible story in the news about a family who had recently signed up for Vonage long distance. Their baby stopped breathing and they tried dialing 9-1-1 but 9-1-1 doesn't work the same on Vonage and by the time 9-1-1 got someone out there, it was too late and the little girl died. This is not an urban legend, it happened in Florida, 10 min away from where I live, their last name is Waller, and the story was on CNN. Feel free to Google those key words, Vonage, Waller, Deltona, Florida. Vonage says that the info about limited 9-1-1 accessability is in their paperwork, so they aren't liable.

Rani
Old 05-07-2006, 06:30 AM
Assistant Moderator

I had to call 911 when my middle ds had a febrile seizure while I was holding him. I had never seen a seizure before. The ambulance was here very quickly and got us to the hospital. My son was fine. We did have one other experience with 911. When my youngest ds was about 5, he had learned about dialing 911 for emergencies in kindergarten. Well one evening while we were all sitting at the kitchen table eating dinner, there was a knock at the door. I open it up and there is a police sargent standing there. He says he came because someone dialed 911 from our address and that the phone was still off the hook. My dh and I look at each other and have no idea what he is talking about and tell him that no one that we know of dialed the number. All of a sudden my youngest ds pipes up that he dialed 911. We ask him why and he says, "Because my brother took the tv remote from me and wouldn't give it back!" I was absolutely and completely embarrassed. We apologized to the officer and then had him explain to our ds what constituted an "emergency" (illness, an injury etc.) and that his brother taking the tv remote was NOT an emergency. The worst part is, the phone was off the hook all that time and I am sure the 911 operator heard everything that was going on in our house. Luckily we were all getting along but can you imagine if my dh and I had been arguing or something else embarrassing??? The officer did stick around for a bit and I wonder if it was because he thought it was a domestic violence situation or something. All I know was I was mortified and did have a stearn talking to with my youngest ds about the true purpose of 911!!!

PS After the officer left, we did find the phone off the hook - it was hidden under the couch!
Old 05-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I have had the unpleasant experiences, too, that warranted some 911 calls. Thank goodness they are there!! Outside from the ones I have made at the scene of traffic accidents (I live in a big city, where they happen all too often), when I worked as a pedi nurse, I had to call twice from our office. Once for a baby whose parents brought it in blue, and once after I gave a parent a tetanus booster who went into a grand mal seizure. (Yes, we did question his history before the injection, but he didn't tell the complete truth, as we learned the hard way, and he disclosed later.)

When my dgd was about 9-10 months old, she was playing with the phone, and dialed 91111111111. I was right there, but didn't realize she had turned the phone on. She always loved to play with the phone!! She would push a few numbers and then throw it down. Well, I picked it up and saw that it was on, so I turned it off. Of course, then she wanted it back. But as I was handing it to her, it rang, so I took it back and answered it. She screamed bloody murder because I had to take it away from her. Of course, it was 911 on the other end saying they had received a call from this number. They were asking me if everything was allright, and here is dgd screaming in the background the whole time I am trying to convince them everything is ok. They heard her and I finally asked the operator if she could just hold for a second while I calmed her down, which the operator did, and then I was able to re-direct dgd's focus onto another toy and then explain to the 911 operator what was going on. She laughed. Thank goodness she had a sense of humor!

About a year ago, I did have to call 911 on my dh. We had just settled down to eat his nicely prepared steak dinner, when he suddenly jumped out of his chair. I could see that he was choking. While I will spare you some of the details, I quickly knew he was in real trouble. I dialed 911, told them my address and that my husband was choking, threw down the phone without further conversation and began the Heimlich manuever. Within what seemed like seconds, I could hear the sirens approaching. I ran and opened the front door, and then resumed attempting the Heimlich manuever. Finally, it worked. My dh doesn't remember most of this part. I picked up the phone and told the operator, who had heard the whole thing, that she could cancel the call, but she said they would need to check him out and that they were already coming in the front door. And they were, so they came in and checked him. Then it hit me. You could see the evidence of him choking, and I was suddenly a complete wreck. Big time. Poor dh was shaky, not sure of what just happened, and embarrassed. After they checked him out, the paramedics took me outside and talked with me and helped me get my composure back. Needless to say, neither of us could finish dinner that night.

911 is an awesome thing to have available~~what a blessing they are to those in need!!!

You miss 100% of the opportunities you don't take.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Yes only one time and that was when my hubby said he was having a hard time breathing. He had inoperable brain and lung cancer so did not play around called them. They were there pretty quickly and helped him out to the ambulance and then had to work on him before we could leave for the hosp. Since I don't drive I rode with them.