Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 12-19-2005, 03:07 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing Do you like hosting Parties?

I love hosting parties! Usually it's a birthday party, or something fairly small. I've always wanted to host a Christmas party, and this past Saturday I finally got to!

My cousin and I have been planning it since right after Thanksgiving and we've been having a blast getting all the prizes and decorations!
I had been a little worried about having asked everyone to bring both a covered dish and a gift for the gift exchange. But nobody complained about that.
We had plenty of food, everyone went home with at least one prize and three or four gifts besides the gift exchange gift!
There was music, dancing, singing, eating, and the gift giving. Everyone had so much fun.
We also provided a babysitter for those couples that had children, I know that is what allowed several people to come to the party. And we also had crafts and games for the children so they wouldn't all be bored. They got their food after the adults and the babysitters fed them while we partied. There were also movies for them to watch if that became necessary.
One little girls parents were worried how their daughter would do at the party. She doesn't get to interact too much with other children and they were concerned she wouldn't do well without being able to see them! Well, they had to "drag" their daughter to the car crying because she wanted to stay!!!! I'd say that's a good indicator that the children had a very good time!
We stayed afterward cleaning. But all the men (my husband, my cousins husband, and her best friends boyfriend) washed all the dishes for us! Isn't that fantastic...I should have gotten a picture of THAT! LOL
There's a lot of work and planning involved in hosting a party, and since this was the largest I'd ever done, I wasn't sure how well it would go. But I was very pleased at the happy mood everyone went home in. It was a great success. It appears as though we won't be living in FL next year, if the co Jason works for transferres him to TN. So I hope that I will be able to host another fun party like this one next year with new friends.

So anyway, do you like hosting parties? What's your favorite part? and What is your least favorite part?
He cannot bless an indecision.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

We used to host a new years eve party..it got as large as 200 people once. The neighbors on the next street came over, and asked to join! We too had babysitters for kids..the best part was after about half the people got there and I started to relax..the worst part was just worrying if someone drank too much etc.
Glad your party was so great!
Old 12-26-2005, 07:19 PM
Assistant Moderator

I like hosting parties but I don't know that it's something I could do to many times a year.
If I stress about anything it's food, as I like to make sure there is something for everyone as I do know people who can't eat wheat, dairy, sugar, vegetarians, but all in all they seem to work LOL
All my friends have kids so they come and they all seem to get on with all ages.

Old 12-26-2005, 07:27 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Wow, sounds like you had a successful party Kadee_diid. Pot lucks are always an excellant idea. I don't know a soul who doesn't like them.

I too LOVE to entertain. I did this Christmas and we all had a blast. I haven't entertained very much since I started school as I am so very busy. Between semesters is the only time I can do fun activities. I am planning a "hen party" before I go back to school, but all will depend on my friends' schedules. I thought I'd serve appetizers and an icechest full of soft drinks and a jug of tea. I would like to rent some chick flicks and just gap about our DHs. LOL

I don't ever go to or hold a New Eve party as it is also my DH's birthday and we either go out to eat or we stay home and I cook him his fave meal. He is too shy for anything else. LOL
Old 12-27-2005, 09:42 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

wow, NEAVON12! That's a really big party! Did everyone get enough to eat? I don't know if I'd like to host one that size without a TON of help!!!! You had it at your house?!

Bilby, that was one of my concerns and a large part of the reason I decided to ask everyone to bring a dish that was a family favorite. That way, even if they didn't get filled up, they did have SOMETHING to eat. I also liked it because it meant I didn't have to prepare everything ($$$) myself.

DeBora, what is a "hen party"? I'm thinking, based on what you said, it's like a girls sleepover, without the sleepover part? Sounds fun. I don't host a New Year's party either. Most people want to drink at that time and I just don't feel comfortable having drunks at my home, esp. while my children are there, and then leaving in a car! I couldn't do it. We don't have a "typically" for NYE, one year, we went down to the beach and watched fireworks go off from Naples, up to Sanibel! It's kind-of a cove shape, (it's roughly a 45 min drive from one place to the other) and you can see all of the fire works going off in huge semi-circle. It was beautiful! But then on other occasions, we go to our cousins house and watch them drop the ball in NYC, or we stay at home and do the same thing, with Sparkling White Grape Juice to drink.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:38 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Quote:
DeBora, what is a "hen party"?
Anytime women get together, it is a hen party. The one that I am wanting to do it a sleepover. We are all in college, so we'd like to see each other before school starts. I've never had a problem with my friends getting drunk as none of them drink alcohol. The only time I have to worry about drinking is when my DHs company has a party--usually Christmas. We usually leave early so we don't have to deal with people who drink too much.

When I graduated in May with my first degree, I invited friends and family from TX and here in NM. I ordered some BBQ brisket from a place in TX and I cooked potato salad, rolls, and pinto beans. I had soft drinks and iced tea. We all had a blast. It was very informal as I set out the untencils and made everyone help themselves.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I love to throw parties, love to make elaborate meals. However, hubby HATES it. I'm in a wheelchair and the house-cleaning part falls to him and I'm always asking him to get this or that for me. Left to his druthers, we'd never entertain.

We do both Christmas and Chanukah and he would basically rather not have to do a thing for either. He DID put up lights this year, which is amazing.

Rani
Old 12-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Rani, I know what you mean about your husband hating it. My husband doesn't like it either. Except, I don't really understand why. All he has to do is stand there and look pretty, be nice to our friends, and sometimes I ask him to get out his guitar and sing - which is something he LOVES and is trying to make a career out of! It boggles my mind.

DeBora, that sounds like a lot of fun. I think I may have to do one of those in the summer. My daughter is wanting to go camping (we got her strawberry shortcake "Moonlight Mysteries" for Christmas), so maybe I can make it a mother/daughter camping trip over a weekend.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Kadee diid..Yes, everyone did get enough to eat, and we had it at our house, we live on an acre so we would usually do a bonfire.

I am doing a small get together for New Years, but everyone is coming is responsible so I know it will be fun. It will be about 4 couples, and we are gonna have munchies...homemade chili...and snacks, and I bought a new game today, Battle of the sexes, so that should be fun for us to play. Then we go to another couples house on New Years Day for food, football (on tv) and relaxing...
Old 12-27-2005, 08:53 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Please tell me how the game, Battle of the Sexes, is. I have seen it and thought about buying it, but haven't yet.