Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:45 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Burglarizing and Petty Theft

Yet again, my house became the target of (a) petty thief on Friday. This is after moving to a new home two years ago because the previously home that we stayed in was burglarize four times. I would like to hear from members about their experiences and what they did to deter these thieves from invading houses.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:19 AM
Nine Year Member

My car was entered parked in my drive way next to the house with the lights on and tv playing as DH was awake. Luckily a neighbor saw the kids and called the police who caught up with them a few blocks away. They had broken into over a dozen cars that night.

What about putting up the motion sensor lights outside?

We have two large dogs that bark at just about everything so I think they would deter anyone from breaking in.

Roberta
Old 08-15-2005, 10:50 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertaD

What about putting up the motion sensor lights outside?

Roberta
I am thinking of getting one, but not sure if this would work.

All incidents had taken place during the day, while hubby and I were at work and the children were at school. I hate to have to move again. I am going to wait for my landlord to replace both doors and then have a company come and install one of those security alarm.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I used to have a Labrador and had to give him away because I did not think it was fair for him to stay and be tied up and not having a place to play around, while I go to work during the day. Iíd like to get one of those hybrid dog, but donít want to gave my kitty a heart attack.

I donít even have anything fancy outside the yard that could possibly attract these thieves. Why do I feel like these thieves are seem to be drawn to my home?
Old 08-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Here is a link to some alarms you may like. We have quite a few, and also an electronic "dog" alarm, .
Good luck, I know how "frustrating" it can be to not feel safe when you are away from home, and what you are going to come back too. We had alot of break ins in our area 2 years ago and dh had these installed, and have been lucky so far.

http://www.firsthomesecurity.com/homeprotection/
Old 08-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Nine Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrivetz

I would like to hear from members about their experienced and what they did to deter these thieves from invading houses.
Irvetz.....What did they take? Did they get in through the windows or doors?

My DS was robbed last year of his video games and player. It also was during the day time while he left for a job. They knew where he kept them and what he had. Most of the times it is people you know who either tell others in conversation what you own.

We had to buy locks for all the windows that screw into the frame. Since the windows were low. He also makes sure to keep the porch door locked at all times. He added extra lock bolts to doors too.

Glass windows on side doors are an easy target for theives. Put a lock at the bottom so they cannot reach it right away.
________
Sueanne

Old 08-20-2005, 09:06 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My car was broken into in a movie theatre parking lot about 15 years ago. I was stupid and stuffed my wallet up under the car seat! *duh!* Don't leave anything in your car that's valuable and even half looks like it can be taken. I've even seen some people with signs in the windows that all valuables have been removed.

Actually a different car was broken into in an apartment parking lot several years before that. The passenger compartment was trashed, but thank goodness the less-than-intelligent folks who broke in did not pop the OBVIOUS trunk release, or they would've found my $400 camera...which was BUCKS in those days.

In terms of a house break-in, we've been lucky never to have had one. We did, however, have Trinity's stroller (that went with the car seat) taken off our front porch at our last place in Texas.

I'd say if you can afford alarm monitoring, get it. Or rig something to BLARE OUT ANNOYING LOUD SOUNDS (like someone yelling FIRE) when someone tries a door or window.

Do you have a "Neighborhood Watch" program nearby? Does this happen at the same time...like could it be a repeat offender? Maybe ask the pd for extra patrol during that time if you know you're going to be out.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:34 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My condolences on your string of burglaries! We were broken into about a year ago on a Sunday afternoon while we were at church. Our friend is a police officer and he helped us make our house more secure. Our "vulnerable spot" was the door to our garage--out of sight of the street and usually unlocked because the lock didn't work. Even if it had been locked, they would have been able to break the glass window kick the door in. According to our police officer friend, most ANY door is easy to kick in. We thought a steel door would be better but he said that it is the frame that allows it to be kicked in, not the door. SO, we left the glass and put big bars of wood--It's hard to describe. One across the top and one across the bottom. They could break the glass and remove the top one (we wanted it visible) but not reach the bottom one. They cannot kick the door in any more with the bars on. Also, our friend ALWAYS leaves the tv on when he's gone AND has dogs. His boxer is so lovable and sweet as can be but he doesn't LOOK or SOUND lovable. He feels like dogs are the best deterrent for break-ins. take care,
Old 08-20-2005, 11:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Why not start a neighborhood watch? You can call a meeting place and invite all your neighbors, and then get their emails to start getting a watch group together.

If that doesn't seem like an answer..come and live in the UP of Michigan, near me..our nieghbors know who belongs in our nieghborhood and who doesn't.

Hugs, Janet
Old 08-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My parents house was broken into and they were away camping....A so called friend stopped in and saw it and went to my grandparents house *which is the neighbor* and he called me so i went over and looked and called my parents to come home.
They installed a security system and motion sensors and a motion sensor light outside the door. they got glass block windows inthe basement and garage.

They also have a huge light *like a street lamp* and it comes on at dark time. They also have them solar lights lining the walkways.

Some ppl get them yard signs to make ppl think they have an alarm..dont know if that would help or not.

Maybe the best thing to do is...Make it known-by word of mouth and if you have kids make them think or if they are old enuff have them *FIB* and make ppl think you have an alram system now. I know ppl who have a systme installed but not activated in the house, and they tell ppl that they have it and it makes it look like it..so maybe that would help?? Good luck