Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Leisure Time > Idle Chit Chat!

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 02:42 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Oh, wow, I am getting in on the first page of the friendship flower this time!!

Abear a Glade Plug-in??? Those aren't even safe for a home, yet let alone a school. And not due to allergies! We had one of those one time and it burned a brown mark up our wall. We were advised to never use them.

I get lucky our school does not have a supply list. Now the teachers will send small requests of what they think would be helpful for the children to have. Like a binder for my dd who is going into fifth grade. But, not much on the list!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 08-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We are asked to send "general" supplies. In 4th grade they are asked for 1 roll paper towels and 1 box tissues. In the 6th through 8th they must bring, TWICE a year, 1 tissues, 1 paper towels and 1 pack looseleaf. The teachers keep the paper in the classroom and then when kids need it for tests/essays, there is always paper.
The art teacher also sends home a "wish list" every September. Some items on there are recycles (like milk jugs) and others are new, like a roll of foil.
I don't think these requests are unreasonable so I don't mind complying with it.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:41 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Wow..It has been sooooo long since I had to worry about supply lists but never remember anything except pencils, paper, crayons, safe scissors, etc....school requests sure have changed.

I LOVE the pot....but then I love frogs....collect them ...just ordered a new supply of checks and cards with frogs on....it even scrolls across my monitor as a screen saver....."FROG.......FIRST RELY ON GOD"...
Can't wait to see what kind of flowers grow in it

Have a great day tomorrow...

Came across these Company Policies....too long to post at once so will share l a day....
l..SICKNESS AND RELATED LEAVE..We will no longer accept a doctor's statement as proof of sickness..If you are able to go to the doctor, you are able to come to work.

Old 08-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Margaret, Too many businesses practice that policy. Therefore, I propose a new one. The writer of said policy should be required to determine in person, up close and personal, in full breathing distance of the "sick" employee whehter said "sick employee" is truly sick. I had a boss say to me one time, "Wow, you really are sick!"

Anyway...

Well, ladies, it has been an interesting few days. I have an aunt who is in her eighties and in extremely frail health, living in Arkansas. She was rushed to the hospital last night with no circulation (or feeling) in her right leg and limited circulation in her left leg. They have tried to place stints in her kidney and her right leg, as well as a bypass in the right leg. All have failed. At this point, the left leg is starting show decreases in circulation as well. She is currently on blood thinners (appropriate but very risky with all of her other medical issues). The doctor has told the family and nursing staff to give her all the morphine she wants tonight. Tomorrow, they will probably have to amputate the right leg (maybe both?). My uncle is in a nursing home about two and a half hours from the hospital so another aunt/uncle have gone to check on him and then will return to the hospital in the morning. Her prognosis is extremely poor and I think that it is doubtful that she will live through the night. My aunt's family situation is extremely difficult to say the least...dysfunctional is a gross understatement. My parents are going down tomorrow. And if something happens, I will probably go down to be with my parents.

I hate that this is happening to her but at the same time she has suffered immensely throughout her life, especially in the last few years.

I think that I had better stop. Thanks for listening.

Debbie

It is important to follow our dreams as a tribute to those who were forbidden to follow theirs. - Unknown

Old 08-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbszy
In 4th grade they are asked for 1 roll paper towels and 1 box tissues. In the 6th through 8th they must bring, TWICE a year, 1 tissues, 1 paper towels and 1 pack looseleaf. I don't think these requests are unreasonable so I don't mind complying with it.
On each of the two DS school supply lists were 3 boxes of Kleenex and 3 rolls of select-a-size paper towels. I am sending each DS to school tomorrow with 4 of each. When Open House night comes, I will let their teachers know that when they are close to running out, to let me know and I will send in more. I feel like I need to because of the two DS allergies....they blow their noses more than the average student and then wash up and need a paper towel.

I just think that its sad that as much as we pay in school taxes (and also money supposedly put into education by the state lottery!), that nothing like soap, paper towels, Kleenex, scotch tape, staples, computer printer ink, computer paper or daily cleaning supplies are provided to each classroom.

It's not like the school boards or state education boards are using the tax dollars to give the teachers a decent wage! If the parents don't donate, then the teacher has to pay for that kind of stuff out of his/her own pocket. While I am sure most of it is tax deductible for the teacher, I still try to donate items like that to my sons' teachers 1-2 times a year at a minimum.

Debbie (dinsky) - so sorry to hear about your aunt. We will pray for her and your family. (((HUGS)))

Margaret (jrztomato) - I had a boss once that actually lived by that policy! The entire office staff danced a jig when he got himself fired for dating someone from another department within the same company (it was strictly against company policy!).

Karen (mom2-4) Thanks for that reminder! I had heard of the fire danger regarding the plug ins before but had forgotten! Will add that to my list for when I speak to the principal & teacher tomorrow.

DS # 1's bedtime is 9:00 starting this school year so I'll probably head to bed after he does. DS # 2's bedtime is still 8:30 and he is HIGHLY upset that his older brother now gets to stay up later than him! Oh well, he needs to understand that his brother is two years older than him and will start to get to do things that he can't.

It's been a LONG time since I've gone to bed before 11:00pm but I think with the day that is facing me tomorrow, I am going to head to bed early so I can get a good night's sleep...or at least try to! With my luck, I'll have a bout of insomnia tonight.

Have a great evening everyone!
Old 08-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good evening ladies,

Have you ever wanted to take your computer and just pitch it right out the window? I am so frustrated right now with this thing. What would have taken me 15 minutes has taken me all night. Windows updated my computer over the weekend and practically wipe everything off of it and now I have to sign in everytime I get on FC and even my homepage is missing and ecards are hard if not impossible to download. I do not know what they did but I do not like it.

Hope everyone else is having a good Sunday. My was busy but went well. My first son starts school tomorrow and my youngest is celebrating his 4th birthday. Will decide next year whether to hold him back or not. It depends on how he is doing by then. THe supply list was not too bad, crayons, colored pencils, markers, 2 boxes of tissues, 2 composition notebooks, scissors and glue or yes and $15.00 for extra stuff that the teacher will get. That is for the first grade.

Well I have had a busy weekend and I am very tired and frustrated with this computer and I have to go to work tomorrow and not wanting to but oh well we need the money especially if we are going to be buying a house next summer. So I am going to read a few more threads and go to bed. Have a good day tomorrow everyone.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Kay, sorry your computer is causing you problems. Hope you get it fixed.

Dinsky - sorry to hear that your aunt is having so much trouble with her legs. Will say a prayer for her.

The kids school lists vary each year it seems. Thank goodness plug ins are not on ours. We also have the paper towels, kleenexs, baby wipes, hand sanitizer besides the supplies. Our differ each year on how they store the pencils, crayons and markers. Last year the teacher wanted a case like a makeup one. This year the teacher wants a fanny pack. Art teacher will request items such as toilet paper and paper towel rolls, oat boxes and meat trays to be used. Don't mind those as recycled!

The frog flower pot is cute!

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 08-15-2005, 03:04 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

The flower pot is really going to be cute this time... I like the frog too...and the saying "Fully Rely On God" that is awesome.
Well I have to agree with all the rest of you, plug ins for school...that is ridiculios(sp)
will be a lot of sickness with the kids.
I alsofeel the same way about the supply list...sometimes they ask for way to much, and sometimes they need to ask and want...Ummmm ohhhh well just rambling All you guys have a Great Day...

"The thoughts you entertain are the seeds from which your actions grow."
Old 08-15-2005, 03:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I guess because my kids go to parochial school, which is on a bare-bones budget, I am used to (and don't mind in the least) helping provide "classroom items." Within reason, of course! LOL! My mom was a teacher, and so was I, and I know full well how little these teachers are paid and how much money they plow back into equipment/supplies for their classes.
I always thought the "community looseleaf" idea that our middle school teachers have is a good one. Everyone donates and can take from it as needed.
One time my DS came home from school asking if he could take a pack of blue pens to a teacher, who had complained that day that she was out of pens. Of course I gave him the pens. Then a month or 2 later he said, "Sister said she has no pens again, and then she told me not to bring her another pack because people borrow them and don't return them!"

I really wish the art teacher would send her wish list home at the end of the school year. We could be recycling all summer for her. But a little later this week, big DS will be at school for 2 mornings helping to relocate the art room. I could always ask the art teacher on that day, if there's anything she needs.

I don't mind getting what's on the supply list as long as the kids end up USING it. If I have to chase all over to get some particular item, it better be used.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Good morning everyone, love the little frog!! I have to "vent" ladies, but first let me say, my dd was saying something about all the "back to school" acccessories she had to get for the kids, and I didnt think much of it, because I was thinking she was just "giving in" to my 2 gd's wishes,lol, now I understand what she meant, (they too go to Catholic school)

I cant beleive a dr. note isnt acceptable, and if you are well enough to go to a dr you are well enough to work???Im sure that will backfire in a "bad" way what if someone goes to work, despite feeling not "quite right" and they have a heart attack, or worse, because of this.??
Okay here is what Im TOTALLY UPSET about, last night my fil called dh, he had just got out of the hospital where he has been the last 10 DAYS!!!!!! He lives in florida, now dh has 2 sisters and 1 brother, and its a weird situation, because he and 1 sister are really close, and the other sister and brother are close,(im not too sure whats going on there, I never got involved) but the sister that lives in MAss., and the brthr that lves in Ohio, never called dh, and the other sis, who lives in Louisiana!!!I was SO UPSET about this when I found out last night because the sister that lives in MAss., sends me funny emails all the time, and never once mentioned anything about fil!!!!DH needless to say is really upset about this and also upset that his dad now can nolonger live alone, and is moving in with the brother in Ohio, after he sells his place in Florida. MY QUESTION to you all is, do you think I should call and say something to the sister for not calling or should I not get involved, (Im not that close to her0 but am so mad, and dh will not call and say anything, but Im so furious I cant let this go, but dont want to cause trouble for dh. Now his sister in Louisiana, is in Calif. right now and has been for the past month and we dont know how to reach her,becuase she is on a house boat, somewhere. But I know when she finds out she will cause world war 3,lol, do youthink I should just let this ride, or say something, I just want to let them know how totally wrong this was, what if god forbid he had died, were they not gonna call, sorry guys I just had to get this out!!!

Closed Thread