Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 05-05-2005, 03:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

The Runaway Bride

Do you think Jennifer Wilbanks should face criminal charges?

I think she should face some sort of charge for using the police' manpower for three days while they searched for her. I am thinking more like community volunteer hours. I don't think of her as a criminal, really, but she does need to give some sort of monetary payback back to the police dept and obviously needs counseling.

What do you think?

hugs,train
Old 05-07-2005, 06:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I think she should be charged with the misdemeanor of making a false statement to the police and FBI. I think she should have to serve a HUGE number of hours of community service as her punishment...and that service should have to be served in a homeless shelter and a battered women's shelter.

I also think she needs to be made to reimburse everyone for the cost of searching for her...along with the cost of all that free coffee and meals given to searchers by that local diner. Not one single person should be out even one penny due to her inconsideration.

If she REALLY needed to leave, she should have left a note for him to find after she left stating that she needed to get away and to please honor her private space by not looking for her.

She should also have to make a public apology to the Hispanic community for stating that a Hispanic male was part of the couple that kidnapped her! That was so uncalled for!

It REALLY upsets me that so many people cared, searched and prayed for her and she has not had the guts to make a public statement herself.....she has everyone else speaking for her.

Okay...stepping down off my soapbox now..........
Old 05-10-2005, 09:14 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Runaway bride

Ok I just heard she is in the hospital
Old 05-13-2005, 12:54 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Yes, I totally agree! We teach our children that each action they choose has an effect on their life; good or bad and that they need to be responsible for those choices and consequences.

I don't see how an adult, in this case Ms. Wilbanks, should be treated any differently. She is NOT a child and certainly knew her actions were going to cause a negative situation. She needs to act like a grown up and pay for her "crying wolf" situation.

If a child plays ball too close to the house and breaks a window, they need to pay restitution, same situation here.

I don't think she deserves jail time, she needs some "adult-living" training, a full, public, and in person apology, especially to the police and to repay the unnecessary costs put forth to find someone who was never missing.

I heard that some police officers were unable to attend a colleage's funeral b/c they were looking for her. They will never get that opportunity back thanks to her. Also, what if there were a real abduction that had occurred and they wasted their time looking for her and didn't have enough man power for other real crimes? She terrified that community and others and she should be held accountable.

Also, I hope they give her training before she considers having children. If she thinks a wedding is stressful, wait till she encounters labor...where is she going to run then? LOL
But seriously, that really could be a dangerous situation if she had children and became unable to handle that as well.
I don't wish her any ill will, I'm just offering some constructive thoughts!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 05-14-2005, 06:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Yes, think some kind of community service for her would be good as repercussions of what she did. I don't think making her pay a fine would really make too much of an impact, though, since she is wealthy anyways, so no biggie for her there. I don't think she should have to serve jail time though. Yes, it was wrong of her to waste everyone's time and our tax dolloars like she did...but jail time??

It also made me think of these parents whose child is reporting 'missing' and all these volunteers and money is spent looking for the child, when all the along, the parents really know the truth of what has happened to their child! That really disgusts me!!

Hey, I won!
Old 05-14-2005, 05:24 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I agree she does need to face some kinda charge too..She took valuable time from the Police when someone that was really needing it should have gotten it!

I do think something needs done!
Old 05-15-2005, 06:51 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I too think she needs some counceling, and should be made to do hours and hours of community service. Actually I think she should be made to do her communty service in a help center and made to help look for lost people and children. Make her realise what all she put everyone through and deal with family who really does have a loved one in danger.

Old 05-15-2005, 12:27 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Very Well SAid!
Old 05-16-2005, 06:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I believe she must have some issues she needs to deal with, best with counseling. However, she knew what she was going to do, and therefore should be charged with a misdeamor for filing a false police report, and pay back all the monies used to look for her along with community service time. The money spent is to be used in a real emergency, not for someone not knowing what to do with her life. I agree, time with an agency that tries to track down missing children might give a taste of the grief she put her family through while she was gone. It is not a joking matter, even if that was not the effect she was going for at the time. It is a real and heart wrenching process for the others to go through day by day until she was found. I hope she gets the help she needs, but not let off the hook in the end. I will be very diappointed if nothing comes of this situation due to the family connections.

Lizajane
Old 05-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

She obviously needs some much needed help - Although I don't think she should be charged with jail time or anything like that, she should have to stand the cost for the time & efforts of the folks that were out looking for her & Community Service helping others would probably be the best thing for her.