Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 01-27-2005, 12:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

How Independent Are you?

How independent are you?

What are you afraid to do by yourself? Have you ever gone on a trip by yourself?
To a movie by yourself? Sat in a restaurant by yourself?
Joined a club, organization or gym?

hugs,train
Old 01-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I've not actually gone on a trip for fun by myself BUT when I moved from Houston to Florida, I did it all by myself.....drove the huge U-Haul truck all the way there while pulling my car behind - with DD in the truck beside me.

I have gone to both the movies and a restaurant - though not a fancy one- alone. DD just thinks I am crazy when I suggest that she go to a restaurant alone! When she is wanting Chinese food, she won't go unless she can find someone to go with her.

When I was 12, I became a candy striper at a hospital where I knew none of the other volunteers..........my Mom worked in the hospital's business office but she wasn't there when I volunteered on weekends.

If there was a gym close by (nearest one is approx. 20 miles one way) I would gladly go join alone!

What about you Donna?
Old 01-27-2005, 02:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am extremely independent but that comes from not having any children!! I know it would not be the same if we did have children
I go to movies quite often, mostly with Mark, my mom or a girlfriend, but if no one is available, I go alone.
I go downtown atleast 3 times a week to read the paper and drink a soda and will strike up a conversation with anyone who is at the drugstore...or coffeehouse..or sitting on the corner benches.

Mark and I have vacationed both together and alone. We have taken some great train trips together! Sometimes though I like to go visit my girlfriends alone.

Though I have joined bible studies, gyms etc on my own..I always end up making friends through those groups!!

I think I have a good balance..........very independent but still have a good, loving marriage!!

hugs,train
Old 01-28-2005, 07:55 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I don't guess I'm very independent. I don't like going no where by myself. The only place I go by myself is to the local small town store here. Shopping, traveling or going to a gym no way. I think I got something wrong with me to be like that. Just haven't figured it out yet. When I go grocery shopping I take at least one child. I'm not afraid of anyone I don't know guess I'm weird. Anyone know what causes this?

Becky
Old 01-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

When I first got married almost 20 years ago, I was very dependent on my husband. He had to travel a lot for work back then so I had to learn to be independent. I got my drivers license, learned to go to movies, restaurants and shopping alone and made new friends. Though I am basically shy, I have forced myself to go out and do things and believe that has helped me in a lot of ways. Unfortunately, the one thing I wish I were more independent in is traveling. I have absolutely no sense of direction what so ever and am terrified of getting lost. If someone writes down exact directions to a place I could probably find it but I would have to be able to follow those directions exactly in reverse if I were to find my way back home. I have tried and tried and tried over the years to improve my sense of direction including learning to read maps etc. yet nothing has helped. I can get lost in a store!!! So, the one way I wish I could be more independent is learning to find my way and to be able to travel by myself. Though some may look at getting lost as an adventure, it just plain scares me.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ok I am NOT dependent at all!

I so depend on hubby.. and a few others with some things

I go by myself places all the time thou...stores, grocery, gas stations..but as far as a trip or like paying bills n such

Ive not went on a trip alone thou..I would i think
I would go see a movie alone

I dont LIKE to go alone very often cuz I dont have good direction either..lol
Old 02-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

how independent are you?

Well I would have to say for the most part I can be very independent. I took a trip by myself and went to florida( I am from Mass). I flew into Jacksonville. Stayed with a friend for a few days. Went further south, stayed with another friend. Then ended up in palm beach area where my family was staying for a wedding.
I have taken my two kids, when they were younger camping by myself, because my dh couldn't get the time off from work.
I will go to the movies alone if I want to see the movie and no one else does. I don't want to miss something.
I don't usually go by myself out to eat alone cause dh is usually willing to do that.
Though I usually like to have company when I do something, it makes it more enjoyable.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have to say Im kind of half and half,by that I mean there are times when I LOVE to just get away and shop all by myself,or browse a book store or yard sale,but on the other hand I depend on DH ,he takes care of all the bills,we always go places together like movies out to eat etc never alone. I did however bring my DD up to be much more independent than me because I wish I was alot more independent. My dd is totally independent to the point that she can make it on her own with the 2 kids if she had to(she doesnt shes married) but if anything were to happen she would be just fine. Me on the other hand would have a hard time,adjusting.

Hugs Sandie
Old 01-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Bump!

hugs, train
Old 01-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Lunatic

I have always been independant,well I was up until just over a year ago...

From the time I was 12 and was molested by a family member,I have always taken care of myself...when I had my children I took care of them...no babysitter...no daycare...I never asked any family member to watch them ever...I have always stood on my own two feet and done for myself...
My husband would rather I was more dependant on him...which in the past 6 months I have become more dependant on him,but not by choice...I started losing my eyesight,so dh has to tell me when there are steps,how many,if there are doors and which way they open...if there is furniture or an obstacle in my way...but I do still cook for the most part,clean,crochet and do other crafts by myself...though some days dh has to put my shoes on for me...do up my jacket...simple things that I should be able to do for myself but that have become harder for me to handle...

I still think I am quite independant...well I like to think I am still very independant...lol...