Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Leisure Time > Idle Chit Chat!

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 01-17-2005, 06:28 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Question about disability

My mother's diabetic. We're thinking at her next eye exam that her doctor is going to tell her she can't drive anymore due to her poor eyesight. That means she will be unable to get herself to work. I'm not sure how people qualify for disability, but I'm hoping my mother will. Would this be the type of thing that would qualify for disability? Someone told me that it has to be a result of the work place and I'm sure they're mixing that up with worker's comp. Any ideas where I could find out whether she'd be able to get disability?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

The American Diabetes Association might be able to tell you or direct you to which government office to ask. You could call the ADA or check their web site.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:12 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Dear Beckri

Your mother would most definetly qualify for SSD. That is, if she has the number of work credits needed. She can also look into disability retirement from her employment - depends on the employer.

If she cant see to drive, she cannot work. Make sure she has documentation from her doctor.

I went on disability in 1995 after my second heart attack, diabetes problems among other things. My doctor was a big factor in writing a letter detailing all my health issues.

Good luck.

katsgram
Old 01-23-2005, 07:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Pkease don't assume anything. Consult an attorney...

In the eyes of the Federal Government, just because a person can't GET to work doesn't mean they cant WORK.

My case was turned down because the judge said that despite serious physical disabilities that would prevent me from ever working in my past profession, and from performing any physical work again, I still had the ability to see and move sufficiently to use public forms of transportation aailable in the national transporataion system that would allow me to persue sedentary employment in the National Workforce.

This decision was made even though I HAD a lawyer and my case was in the system for two and a half years. It is now under appeal.

A lot has to do with how the doctors doccument their case. It would be imperitive that the doctor make it clear that your mom could not safely navigate public transportation because of her health either.. not just simply not be able to drive herslef.. for example. And you mother would have to , of course, honestly back that up in testimony in open court.

I'm sure you could learn from other's experiences where your mother's case could be helped.

best of luck to you.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:55 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

It is hard to get disability on physical disabilities...but there is a booklet you can get from Social Security listing the criteria to qualify.

I was blessed, sort of, getting disability for bipolar II; then 8 months ago (SS doesn't know yet) I was diagnosed with MS. So much fun LOL! My life is so blessed tho. God is with me every day and so is my honey.

It will take a while and your mom will probably be rejected the first time AND they will probably say that with someone driving she could work with other "non-seeing" people...it's sad, your mom needs help (using the SS she paid in) but she has to fight tooth and nail to get it. Down the road she will probably need an attorney (one who specializes in SSD)

My thoughts and prayers will be with you. Take care and give your mom a hug for me!
Old 01-24-2005, 05:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I just talked to a caseworker from Medicaid who said that my dh may qualify for medicaid disability and the waiting period is a lot shorter time. I'm going to talk to our case worker again and get him set up for a doctor appointment to see if he will qualify.

Just a thought, if your mom won't qualify for ss disability, maybe she can try for medicaid disability. I don't know the particulars on it yet, but it might be worth talking to a case worker about.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

To qualify for Medicaid, you pretty much have to be destitute. Check your state and the federal regs. In my area, to get Medicaid, we would have to sell our house and rent an apartment, show that we have NO income (now how would we pay rent for the apartment?) and not even have our computers and entertainment center. The fact that once qualified we could have them again, doesn't matter. The world of disability is really strange.

SSI or SSD is much better than Medicaid. Your mother's age will make a difference, too. If she had disability at work, try for the short term then the long term disability there, first. THEN go for the state and federal disability.

My SIL has rheumatoid arthritis. She and her husband were living on his SS (he was much older than she is) when he died. She was a stay-at-home mom and then stayed at home to take care of her husband. Now she is trying to get disability because she can't do anything - even can't dress herself some days - and certainly can't work. They have been dinking around for over a year, now, and she's still trying to get through Level 2. She has an attorney, and probably will get it either this time around or at Level 3. The system is absolutely crazy - and makes no sense whatsoever. Someone with no "real" disability will be approved the same day someone like my SIL (who can't use her hands, can't type, can't hold a book, can't walk to the bus, etc) is turned down.

All I can suggest is to try and to not tak the first "no" for the final answer!

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 01-27-2005, 09:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I agree with Elizabeth. If they tell your mother no, go get a lawyer. On of my bils has lung cancer and it is terminal. First they said they would give it to him for 3 years, by that time he should be cured. Granted, he is amazing, not completely well, but he sang at my Mom's funeral. He juices and eats only fresh no processed foods. Anyway, they finally gave in and now he is on disability for life. I have a sil that has lupus, and just from my point of view, I think she could work, if she was trained, in office work. She certainly can go shopping and go just about anywhere she wants to. I'm not upset with her, I'm just upset that why someone who could be trained to do something, should be allowed to go on federal funds, when someone like my bil or other people on here can't get help.
I'll get off this soapbox for now. We may look into disability for dh, but I want him to work, I think it will be good for his mental health, so he is seeing if vocational rehab can help him, again. He was on that for 3 years, they paid his schooling, which didn't do any good, nobody has hired him in the field he graduated in. But then I told him I thought his degree was too general. He got a bachelors degree in computer science. I thought he should have got more specialized, like computer repair or anything else. If they will pay for him to go to tech school that will be great! He can't do the physical labor anymore, but he could sit and do computer work.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I want to make it clear, that this is my personal opinion, pure editoralizing, and I am not speaking as a Forum Moderator in this posting.

Quote:
Originally posted by momofjems
I have a sil that has lupus, and just from my point of view, I think she could work, if she was trained, in office work. She certainly can go shopping and go just about anywhere she wants to. I'm not upset with her, I'm just upset that why someone who could be trained to do something, should be allowed to go on federal funds, when someone like my bil or other people on here can't get help.
Elaine, What you said in this portion of your post struck a chord in me, and I have to respond to a couple of things.

If your SIL is indeed considered "disabled" there are services available to her through an agency called VESID ( Vocational and Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities) < they are in the phone book> It is a wonderful resource that wouldn't be available to her if she WERN"T disabled. They provide job re-training, school tuition small business loans, business equipnment, grant writing help, mentoring, etc. Their services are not necessarally free. It's based on a sliding scale. They take her SSDI income into account, and might make her pay to be retrained. So unfortunately, it can be a financial hardship, but at least it's there, and doesn't cost the thousands of dollars that these kinds of services cost otherwise.

On another note.. your comment about her being "allowed to go on federal funds" had a very misleading tone.

SSDI is a Disability Insurance policy that every American worker is required to pay into from every paycheck, just like our SS Retirement deduction is a Retirement Insurance Policy that every worker is required to pay.. When you become disabled, you have the right to put in your claim to collect your benefits. Yes, your insurance company is the Federal Government, but you can onkly collect IF you have paid enough of your premium to be entitled to it.

It is not a dole that the rest of us "foot" it is not a "aid" program like medicaid , or, food stamps, WIC, or SSI.

I personally support social service programs for those in need. However, I want to point out that SSDI is not one of those programs. American workers have paid their premiums, and should feel no shame in filing to collect on the policy when they are too sick or injured to keep working.

There .. I feel better now..
Old 01-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Val,
Thank you for the education about SS disability. You taught me alot about it today.
I know I sounded harse about my sil being on disability. There are things I'm sure I'm not aware of. I made a harsh judgement. She is a kind person and was very kind to my mom. She has been so good for my brother (lives with him where there is no electricity or conviences).
Just hard to understand why some get disability and others don't. Glad it's not my call.