Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 12-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

what did you want to be when you grew up??

What did you want to be when you grew up?

What are you in reality??!!

When I was a child I wanted to be a mom and a teacher.
When I was a bit older I wanted to be a forest ranger....then a sign language interpreter..then a journalist!!!

In reality I am a SAHW who has waited tables and worked in various other jobs.

hugs,train
Old 01-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I wanted to be a famous Artist or at least a rich one so I could have a game preserve in Africa. Started wanting this in 2nd grade and never stopped.

Wanted to have a lab at my reserve and be a scientist that done researce.

In highschool decided it was a pipe dream and wanted at least a big farm and to still be the artist and make some money at it.

Now I am a sahgm with a mentally ill lady I board and a store that is on hold ? hummmm maybe in my next life..LOL
Old 01-23-2005, 01:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

When I was in about 3rd to 6th grade I used to make paper dolls and tons of clothes for them. People used to say I was going to be a clothes designer.

They should see how I dress

After that my ambition was to be a teacher or librarian.

I have been a teacher and still do occasional teaching work for homebound high school students. I love it. But mostly I am a stay at home mom of 3 ranging in age from 13 to almost 3, and that certainly involves plenty of teaching!
Old 01-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I had no clue what I wanted to be as a small kid. In high school, I decided I was interested in Psychology, Social Work, etc. So in college I got a degree in Behavioral Science. I work in the food stamp program & in a residential treatment center for adolescents who were emotionally disturbed. I could not stand those jobs. I still have a great deal of compassion for people, but have not found the right job! I did enjoy various jobs actually as a cashier, customer service rep, & sales. Now I am a SAHM. I can't say I love it, but it definitely where I belong. I wouldn't change that....yet. My ds just started school so I think more about it now. Then I would have to REALLY decide what I want to be when I grow up.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:30 PM
Assistant Moderator

I always wanted to be a writer for as long as I can remember. When I went to college I majored in English hoping to get into publishing. I quit college my senior year to get married as my now dh was tired of a long distance relationship. After we married I was offered a job in publishing but took a different job instead. When I went back to school to finish my degree I changed my major to education to become a special ed teacher. I am not working as a daycare provider. It is close to teaching but not quite it. I may enter the teaching profession at some point but still have hung on to my writing dream.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:09 PM
kellyandkids

I wanted to be an Indian. But the teacher was very scornful of my idea and asked my snottily how I intended to do that. I was going to dye my hair black and go marry an Indian.

So now I dye my hair red, married a Norwegian, and discovered at my dad's funeral ( just a year ago) that I am Indian - Cherokee. My dad was a cowboy - literally. But it was such a disgrace where my dad grew up in Texas and Colorado that he never mentioned it. He was extremely prejudiced all around. Probably a lot like my 3rd grade teacher. My 4th grade teacher was an Indian.

Go figure.

I also wanted to be a mad scientist. I am. I didn't intend to be a mad mommy; that happens too. LOL
Old 01-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

It is funny how most of us never knew what we would actually be doing.

As far back as I can remember I wanted to be in some thing (any thing) to do with art. Went thru phases of wanting to become a professional dancer to an interior decorator to painter to fashion designer.
I always used to say I don't know how people can be tethered to a desk and work 8 hours without interacting with people. I also couldn't understand how people can work such hours and make all those profits for a company and not for themselves.
I am a soft ware programmer with such a decent income that I shudder to just stop and not make this money
I decorated my house completely and help friends with their decoration dilemmas,
I design my clothes and also design both my DDs clothes and even sew them myself,
I painted some pictures and we hang them in our home,
Just a few months ago I finally started learning dance at my daughter's dance school.

I don't know if I am ever going to get out of this desk job, or if I am ever going to start my own business, but at least I have a cute house and well dressed kids

My FC Member Awards!
<hr height=3 color=green width=95%>

Honorary Members
Old 01-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

What I want to be when I grow up??

I loved the show "Starsky & Hutch" and immediately decided that I wanted to be a private investigator. Actually just within the last 7 years have I done any type of investigating....98% of it by surfing the web. It started when I was trying to find my ex husband. I could call his cell phone but he would not tell me where he lived. Well, I found out where he was and took him to court for child support. I have helped many friends and family with info they needed. It is a lot of fun to be "nosy".
E-Ma to 3

Look to the future, because that is where you'll spend the rest of your life. ~ George Burns ~
Old 01-24-2005, 04:57 PM
Assistant Moderator

Sunny_mom, I have a friend who is an artist/musician. My daughter is thinking of entering the art field and wants to major in graphic design in college next year. The one thing my friend told her and it makes sense is that you don't have to be working in the art field to be an artist. She is an absolutely incredible artist and makes money at it but also works at a health food store and plays bass guitar with one band and sings for another but when asked what her profession is she can legitimately say artist!! I think you sound a lot like her and despite working at a "desk job" I would defintely say you could call yourself an artist!
Old 01-25-2005, 08:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Quote:
I think you sound a lot like her and despite working at a "desk job" I would defintely say you could call yourself an artist!
OH! Sammi1961 !!! Thanks so much! You litterally made my day! Just reading your post put a smile on my face... 'An Artist'!
Like you said I will always be an artist to my own self atleast.

My FC Member Awards!
<hr height=3 color=green width=95%>

Honorary Members