Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Idle Chit Chat! Just want to chat with your FC friends? Come on in and talk it up!

Old 12-08-2004, 09:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Second Hand Bookstores

Do you have any second hand bookstores where you live that you really like?

I mostly go to the Goodwill for used books. The paper backs are 80 cents and hard back .95 .

I once visited a really awesome used bookstore in Tucson called "Bookmans." It is huge, with lots of different sections! I could have spent the whole day there!

One I would like to visit is "Powell's" in Portland, Oregon.

hugs,train
Old 12-10-2004, 07:48 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have one used bookstore by my house that is fantastic. The selection is great and the people who run the store are great. The books are not quite as cheap as Goodwill, but they are a couple bucks. The last ones I picked up from there were the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, 1984, and the Earthsea trilogy. I've picked a ton of mystery novels from there too, paperback mostly. Those I think were around $1.50 or something. It's the way to go. There's still nothing like hanging out at a barnes and noble or borders and walking around looking though.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:55 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We have this wonderful used bookstore. It is the type you bring in your books and trade with theirs. If I bring in $30 worth of books, they give me $15 credit. If you want a book that is $7, they deduct it from your credit balance and charge 20% ($1.40). This place is very big, their kids section is wonderful. It is on the edge of our neighborhood. I have to limit the amout of time I go in there and the amout of money I spend.

Melly

This is the only place I will be able to have a soda.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Ahhh...Bookmans! My sister lives in Arizona, formerly in Tucson, now in the mountains. She still drives down to Tucson to work and when I visit we go there. It is a readers heaven!
I check out the goodwill here, the friends of the library has a couple of book sales a year to raise money for the library, so we check that out too. I also found a website...bookcloseouts.com that has wonderful deals on books also.
I find that it funny that when my dad and I go out to Arizona we send back boxes of books we bought . The last time I really scored, between Bookmans and rummage sales, I filled every corner of my suitcase, and still sent back 2 boxes.
Too many books and never enough time to read them all. It is the one thing I am truly passionate about!

Lizajane
Old 01-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I could live in used bookstores! We have two here in the town where I live that I frequent regularly, at least once a week. They do the trade-in thing too. We also have a Goodwill's, but the selection there is not very good and I rarely go.

Now when we travel places for weekend trips, I always search out the used bookstores! It's such fun. Books are my weakness. My sickness, my husband says!
Old 01-23-2005, 03:37 PM
Assistant Moderator

I will admit to spending hours and hours in book stores several times a month but I do try to limit my spending. I have always thought of books as a good investment. This thread has got me motivated to start using used bookstores more often. One thing I do is buy used books through Amazon. I have had great luck there in finding books I couldn't find any place else. The service is excellent. Despite being very convenient and you can shop anytime day or night, it just isn't the same as spending time in a book store. I love Borders bookstores and Barnes and Noble because of the coffee cafes!
Old 01-24-2005, 04:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Triadha, I had to laugh when you wrote that your husband says it is a sickness. My husband says the same thing. I can spend hours in the library, always come out with at least 7-8 books. He says I must be sick when I come out with 2!

Lizajane
Old 01-24-2005, 11:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Oh my goodness, I forgot all about Bookman's until I read this. I used to live in Tucson and it was such a pleasure to go into town and spend at least an hour in Bookman's and then hit the Co-op down by the University. That evening I would have at least one new book to read (usually 4 or 5) and some wonderful healthy treat to eat while I read.
There were several used book stores here but they have closed. One was just down the street and was like the ones you guys describe where you could trade in books. I was in book heaven! Now I go to Deseret (which is like goodwill) and hit yardsales in spring and summer. Also the libraries have wonderful sales a couple of times a year. I think those are the best because on the last day you can get a box for $1 and you can try some books that you are not sure if you'll like but it's so cheap you can take a risk! Fun fun plus a good way to get childrens books which I get just for the illustrations.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Liza, he just thinks I'm crazy for liking to read at all, period. I tease him about not being able to read, and if I ever see him reading a magazine, he really gets teased! ("Oh, looky, he's looking at the pictures!") I've just always been a reader, though, and I will read nearly anything, I think. My problem is that I read very fast, so my favorite writers can't write fast enough for me. So I'm constantly on the lookout for new authors!
Old 01-25-2005, 05:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

That is so true. My husband is not a reader at all, not even the paper. His family is the same way. I've yet to see any of them read a book. Plus, I am just curious, that truly drives my other half nuts! He is learning not to ask questions that he doesn't know the answer, because I will definitely go and try to find it. I always have a couple of books going on at a time, plus the usual paper stuff, magazines, papers...etc. I love to read. I was always a fast reader also, and it is nothing for me to read a 400 page book in a day if I have the time. Now it is stretched over a couple of days!
Do you read at night in bed? If the book is good, I will stay up and finish it. There were times I would finish one and then go find another!
Happy reading and have a fine day!

Lizajane